Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > XB360 and/or PS3 ?

View Poll Results: Which ones do you own ?
Poll Options:
XBox360 9 votes (37.50%)
XBox360 & PlayStation3 1 votes (4.17%)
PlayStation3 14 votes (58.33%)
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll
XB360 and/or PS3 ?
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 2, 2008, 11:17 AM

The purpose of this poll is to find out what the overlap is of XBox360 and PlayStation3 owners.

If you do own both, which one do you prefer as a gaming console ? If a game(exactly the same) was coming to both, which one would you likely choose ? Would you buy the same game on both ? Which one would you recommend to others as a gaming ONLY platform ?

Cheers

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 2, 2008, 11:53 AM

I chose both because if I had the money I'd own both. Though my preference for consoles is obviously the one I decided to buy, the 360.

I think the majority of cross-console games get better reviews on the 360, GTA not included. The PS3 exclusive titles are amazing, and I would love to own them. The Orange Box port is apparently pretty poor.

The hardware itself is an easy choice, the PS3. If not for it's slick interface and quiet operation the fact that 33% of them don't fail is reason enough.

The nail in the coffin for the PS3 is Xbox Live, I have yet to actually use the PS3's online system but I haven't really heard much buzz about it.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 2, 2008, 12:08 PM

Too little incentive to buy PS3. I'm not paying $500 for Metal Gear Solid: Gratuitous Hi-Def Cinema Edition. Pretty much all the good games are on Xbox. If I wanted a Blu-Ray player, I'd probably get a PS3 — that's really what it's good for, not games.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 2, 2008, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I chose both because if I had the money I'd own both. Though my preference for consoles is obviously the one I decided to buy, the 360.
Well i was hoping to see what you guys actually own represented in this poll, not what you wished you own.(ie your vote in $$$ spent)

And yea, for the sake of this question forget all the bells-n-whistles, and focus on gaming.

Cheers

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 2, 2008, 12:50 PM

Oh ok, well then, just a 360 for me.

I own three controllers and 12 games for a total of ~$1220. I've also had my Xbox Live account for almost 4 years now.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 2, 2008, 12:52 PM

So what's gonna be the ratio of 360 only to PS3 only owners? 4:1?

Edit: chuckit chipped in
( Last edited by Dakar V; Sep 2, 2008 at 01:20 PM. )

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 2, 2008, 01:01 PM

Looks like I've ruined everything yet again.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 2, 2008, 01:15 PM

Poll fixed. Now nobody owns a PS3 in this thread. Ouch.
Chuck
___

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 2, 2008, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
I know for a fact that starman and analogue do, Chongo, excalibur possibly...

But yeah, once you exclude the Blu-Ray thing there's not a whole lot left. I expect analogue to have the more spirited PS3 defense, though.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 2, 2008, 01:23 PM

You seem to have depublicified it.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 2, 2008, 01:30 PM

Really? Was it public originally? I didn't see names listed before I edited it.
Chuck
___

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 2, 2008, 01:30 PM

Yep.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 2, 2008, 01:37 PM

Yea it was public (doesnt really matter tho).

Cheers for the correction Chuck.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Sep 2, 2008 at 02:14 PM. )

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2008, 03:11 PM

Looks like I'm the lone guy here right now. Wow, I feel like a Mac user.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 2, 2008, 05:09 PM

Bought an Xbox. Why?

Price
Hate Sony more than I hate Microsoft
Price
Recommendations here
Sony are twats - even more than Microsoft
I wanted to best whatever offspring Dakar has, had and will have
Halo3 being exclusive and I believed the lies that it was better than CoD4.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 2, 2008, 07:11 PM

Not to mention COD4 is also on the xbox.

growlf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2008, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
Looks like I'm the lone guy here right now. Wow, I feel like a Mac user.
You're not alone. I have 2 Xbox 360s, which I purchased shortly after launch because I thought it was a great platform... but I now have 3 PS3s and rarely touch the Xbox.

There's something just... ugly... about the Xbox. I hate the blades, I feel like I'm in some sort of advertising maze. I hate the noise the thing makes... geezus... I've been considering buying the Lian Li replacement case, but the reviews say its STILL too noisy.

The PSN network exclusives (Electrochrome, PixelJunk Monsters, Flow, Elefunk, The Last Guy...) are *great*. With the exception of 1 or 2 Xbox Live games, I feel like everything I download from Xbox Live is junk.

The nail in the coffin, however, was Warhawk. I was one of those guys who went and bought Halo 3 on launch day. I played it occasionally (multiplayer only), but never felt like it was much better than Halo 2. Warhawk, on the other hand, just seems epic. The scale is so much larger, the things you can do are amazing... I just can't describe it.

Anyway... PS3 all the way. My Xbox 360s will gather dust until GoW 2.

jsyoung82
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2008, 01:21 PM

I bought both systems when I got home from overseas, and my 360 now collects dust. I really do like both systems, and am quite happy that as opposed to most of my friend's systems, my 360 hasn't burned out yet. But for me at least, when games come out for both systems, I prefer the PS3, and I far prefer PS3's exclusives to the 360's.

Plus, the PS3 (the one that I have, at least) is pretty much 100% backward compatible. And yeah, so is the 360--but compare the catalog of games. I mean, the point of a game system is to be able to play as many games as you like, right? Well, my PS3 plays a whole lot more (albeit older) games that I thoroughly enjoy than my 360 does. (However, my Wii would have to take the cake on compatibility, with Virtual Console).

All said and done, it comes down to satisfaction--and that means something different to everyone. But I love my PS3.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2008, 01:23 PM

Okay, are the PS3 people retarded or what? The poll asks which systems you own, not which ones do you use.

jsyoung82
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2008, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
The purpose of this poll is to find out what the overlap is of XBox360 and PlayStation3 owners.

If you do own both, which one do you prefer as a gaming console ? If a game(exactly the same) was coming to both, which one would you likely choose ? Would you buy the same game on both ? Which one would you recommend to others as a gaming ONLY platform ?

Cheers
Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
Okay, are the PS3 people retarded or what? The poll asks which systems you own, not which ones do you use.
As quoted from the originator of this thread, I believe you'll see that you should look in the mirror when calling names.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2008, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by jsyoung82 View Post
As quoted from the originator of this thread, I believe you'll see that you should look in the mirror when calling names.
It's in the first sentence:
and the poll: Which ones do you own ?

jsyoung82
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2008, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post

Cheers
There's the second sentence, read it carefully. It asks the question(s) for which you are complaining about the answers.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2008, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by jsyoung82 View Post
There's the second sentence, read it carefully. It asks the question(s) for which you are complaining about the answers.
I'm not complaining about the thread answers, I'm complaining about the poll answers.

jsyoung82
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2008, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
I'm not complaining about the thread answers, I'm complaining about the poll answers.
Apologies then, it was I who didn't read carefully enough. And even the best of us make mistakes at times, including clicking the wrong radio button. I did realize my mistake, but imagined it too trivial to bother worrying about. Thanks!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 3, 2008, 01:38 PM

I like my Super Nintendo.

Wrong thread?

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2008, 01:38 PM

I blame sek for all of this.

Edit: what a well timed post-jack, friend.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 3, 2008, 01:44 PM

Whatever, newbie.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2008, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Whatever, newbie.
This joke never gets old, usually because I outgrow it within a week.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2008, 05:44 PM

allow me to chime in....
i own a 360 and for 9 months of the year i live with someone who has a ps3 and after playing both excessively i will say that PS3 is the graphical powerhouse everyone knows it to be but its horrid online system and few exclusive (good exclusive) titles makes it the lesser of the two. Although Metal Gear Solid 4 is one of the greatest games i've ever played its not enough. The xbox live system is to robust/organized/clean to step away from, not to mention the games I WANT to play online (NHL 08/09, Halo 3, RSV2) have a much larger (or at least of my friends) community.

jsyoung82
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2008, 05:54 PM

It seems to me, both from this forum and others, which one is "better" amounts largely to whether you want to play games online with others. I've never been big into doing such--I have friends that couldn't live without--but it's just not my cup of tea. I like games with good single player modes, which I imagine is the main reason I prefer the PS3. I used Live on my 360 for the three months I got free, but it just wasn't for me, and PS3's exclusives I far prefer, and the multi-platform releases are basically the same in the end.

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2008, 12:07 AM

I have a PS3, but I'm considering getting an Xbox 360 in the future, especially with the prices becoming more attractive come Sept 5. Some things I've noticed include XBox 360 having games shipped first (e.g. Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion + expansion packs, Ninja Gaiden II, etc) and that they have some exclusive platform games in the pipeline. Oh and add to the fact that with more console owners returning/trading their games, I can pick up more pre-owned games at lower prices, too.

So far, in terms of gaming comparison, the console review sites show that there's not that significant a difference between graphics/performance for the current games — a sign showing either developers not fully maximizing the PS3's hardware capabilities yet and/or not caring to. I like that the PS3 is a BluRay player and can double as a Linux-based PC, but I don't use it for that as much.

gentryfunk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2008, 04:29 PM

I have owned both and now only have the PS3; after 2 dead 360s, I just did not have the patience to keep up the 360 game. The 360 is fine for gaming (of course)...I just like the fit and finish of the PS3....I also like the easily replaceable hard drive.....I now have a giant drive in the PS3....not that it really matters, but it is cool.
15" MBP, 2.66Ghz, 4 GB RAM
and....17" iMac C2D
and....Mac Classic II (still running well)
and.....a couple of homebuilt game machines and other ancient stuff like OS/2, BeOS, and Windows 2.0!

ajprice
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2008, 07:13 PM

I have a 360 (and a Wii), I've been thinking about the PS3 recently. Backward compatibility doesn't bother me because I sold my PS2 and the games when I got the 360. Hard drive size doesn't matter, as its easily replaceable, and I've got a 120gb drive in this Macbook and I could upgrade the Macbook drive and transfer the 120gb. I'm not really an online player, and I mostly play driving games. I've been put off the PS£ in the past because of the lack of vibrate, it was expensive, and my mate has one and admits he only uses it as a Blu-ray player, not for the games.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Forum Links
Forum Rules