Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Eff FIFA? (long vuvuzela note)

Eff FIFA? (long vuvuzela note)
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 27, 2015, 09:48 AM

The impossible has happened?
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/28/sp...mong-them.html
Swiss authorities conducted an extraordinary early-morning operation here Wednesday to arrest several top soccer officials and extradite them to the United States on federal corruption charges.

As leaders of FIFA, soccer’s global governing body, gathered for their annual meeting, more than a dozen plainclothes Swiss law enforcement officials arrived unannounced at the Baur au Lac hotel, an elegant five-star property with views of the Alps and Lake Zurich. They went to the front desk to get room numbers and then proceeded upstairs.
The charges, backed by an F.B.I. investigation, allege widespread corruption in FIFA over the past two decades, involving bids for World Cups as well as marketing and broadcast deals.

Several hours after the soccer officials were apprehended at the hotel, Swiss authorities said they had opened criminal cases related to the bids for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups — incidents that, more than any others, encapsulated FIFA’s unusual power dynamic.
The Department of Justice indictment names 14 people on charges including racketeering, wire fraud and money laundering conspiracy. In addition to senior soccer officials, the indictment also named sports-marketing executives from the United States and South America who are accused of paying more than $150 million in bribes and kickbacks in exchange for media deals associated with major soccer tournaments.

The soccer officials charged are Mr. Li, Jeffrey Webb, Eugenio Figueredo, Jack Warner, Julio Rocha, Costas Takkas, Rafael Esquivel, José Maria Marin and Nicolás Leoz.
Thanks, Obama

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2015, 10:29 AM

Those stupid vuvuzu- whatever the hell they're called, I hope they go after the creator of that thing.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 27, 2015, 11:56 AM

Until they hold a re-vote for the next two, corruptibly-obtained World Cups, this story is much ado about nothing.

Blatter being unseated would serve as a warning for the next president but the voting process is bound to be corrupt every single time unless they receive severe punishments.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 27, 2015, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Until they hold a re-vote for the next two, corruptibly-obtained World Cups, this story is much ado about nothing.
I wouldn't go that far. These people may no longer get to enjoy the fruits of their corruption. That's something.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2015, 03:09 PM

The only surprising thing is that it took so long.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 27, 2015, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I wouldn't go that far. These people may no longer get to enjoy the fruits of their corruption. That's something.
But you know who would get to enjoy the ROI of their metaphorical fruits? Qatar.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 27, 2015, 05:00 PM

But you know who would get to enjoy the ROI of their metaphorical fruits? Qatar.
I didn't say it was perfect.

P
May 27, 2015, 05:00 PM

Long overdue, and I'm happy that someone finally decided to take in the corruption in big sports organizations.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 28, 2015, 09:47 AM

It means nothing until they get rid of Blatter. I expect he orchestrated the entire thing to get rid of people that were planning to vote against him in the election. Dude is a straight up scumbag and needs to go. Yesterday.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 28, 2015, 11:01 AM

UEFA is now putting the squeeze on FIFA to not re-elect Blatter.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 28, 2015, 11:04 AM

Some people surmise the timing of the arrests to was to disrupt the election, but so far I'm not sure it's going to have the intended effect.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 28, 2015, 11:14 AM

Some people surmise the timing of the arrests to was to disrupt the election, but so far I'm not sure it's going to have the intended effect.
Figo was one of the better (philosophically-speaking) candidates, but he dropped out last week. I don't know much about Prince Ali bin Al-Hussein, but he's the only possible alternative at this stage.

P
May 28, 2015, 11:22 AM

The problem is deeper than Blatter. It goes back to at least Havelange, his predecessor. Blatter was elected mainly to keep the dirty pool going - his main competitor, Lennart Johansson of UEFA, was going to clean house, and this had to be prevented. That this is coming up now is a sign that Blatter is losing control. That sort of backroom dealings was quite common in big sports organizations back in the day (cf IOC, IAAF) but is not tolerated anymore.

Platini at UEFA has a very interesting position. His candidacy was supported by the Blatter/Havelange team partially to get rid of troublesome Johansson, but he has been trying top put some air between himself and Blatter recently. I imagine he is not sleeping so soundly at the moment.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 28, 2015, 11:31 AM

Fifa crisis: Blatter refuses to quit as president after Platini request

The 79-year-old Swiss held an emergency meeting with key Fifa officials on Thursday after world football's governing body was subjected to yet more damaging corruption claims.

Platini then made a personal appeal for Blatter to quit.

He said he addressed Blatter "like a friend" but that the Fifa boss had told him it was "too late" to resign.
But Uefa, which governs European football, decided on Thursday not to boycott the election and will continue to back Prince Ali, although some member associations, like Russia, have said they will back Blatter.
No kidding, 2018 hosts.

"A big, big big majority of the European associations will vote for Prince Ali," said Platini.

"People have had enough, they don't want this president any more."
And there's the problem. Too many inconsequential (in regards to soccer) nations like Trinidad and Tobago, who are given the same voting power as a national like Spain, have heads who are directly benefiting from the bribery and corruption.

One of FIFA's greatest qualities is its universalism. It's also one of its weaknesses.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
May 29, 2015, 01:09 PM

Blatter: 133 votes

Prince Ali: 73 votes

Needed 140 to win.

Now goes to second round of voting, a simple majority is all that's required to win.

Looks likely Blatter remains.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 29, 2015, 01:13 PM

Yep, it's over. Except for me having Aladdin's Prince Ali song stuck in my head.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
May 29, 2015, 01:22 PM

From ESPN.com:

Sepp Blatter was re-elected to a fifth term as FIFA president, when Prince Ali Bin Al Hussein withdrew from the race following the first round of voting in Zurich.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 30, 2015, 11:45 AM

What a shock. Kept in by the nations that like the fact they can bribe him.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 1, 2015, 06:19 PM

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 1, 2015, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Oliver nails it yet again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qr6ar3xJL_Q
Was a brilliant take. Loved it.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 2, 2015, 05:10 AM

He is right too. This is a massive opportunity for US-foreign relations.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 2, 2015, 01:01 PM

And Blatter just resigned.

My dad actually broke the news to me with a text: "Breaking news, the bladder has resigned FIFA."

Of course this means that he knows he's about to be charged.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 2, 2015, 01:12 PM

Seth Bladder:(His American name)

"I appreciate and love FIFA more than anything else, and I only want to do the best," Blatter said in a news conference this afternoon in Zurich. "I am very much connected to the interests of FIFA ... and this is why I've taken to this decision."
"FIFA needs profound restructuring. Although members have given me the new mandate, this mandate does not seem to be supported by everyone."
So why allow yourself to be re-elected in the first place? Because you're about to get locked up, and you know it's coming soon.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2015, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Oliver nails it yet again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qr6ar3xJL_Q
For a Scouse supporter, you're alright. I'd never heard of John Oliver before, cheers.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 2, 2015, 05:04 PM

And Blatter just resigned.

My dad actually broke the news to me with a text: "Breaking news, the bladder has resigned FIFA."

Of course this means that he knows he's about to be charged.
My favorite comment thus far has been the asshole got re-elected as a power move just so he could leave on his own terms.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 2, 2015, 07:42 PM

Loved the Reddit comments:

"FIFA cleansed of its Blatter infection."

Several "Sepptic tank" jokes in there as well.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 3, 2015, 08:39 AM

Truly fantastic news. Blatter has been a blight on football since day one of his presidency. Good job America.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 3, 2015, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
For a Scouse supporter, you're alright. I'd never heard of John Oliver before, cheers.
You have a rich back catalog to go through. I particularly loved his take on Net Neutrality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpbOEoRrHyU

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 11, 2015, 12:46 PM

When keeping it real, goes wrong (FIFA Edition)
FIFA Communications Head Quits After Making Sepp Blatter Joke
“FIFA president Sepp Blatter, the director of communications, and the secretary general [Jerome Valcke] are all sitting in a car – who is driving?

“The police.”
In a surprising move, FIFA announced today that director of communications Walter De Gregorio has “decided to relinquish his office.” De Gregorio has been FIFA’s front-facing man throughout this crisis—it was he who spoke at a hastily arranged press conference on the morning of the Zurich busts. But did De Gregorio actually resign? Or was he fired after making this joke on a Swiss TV show three days ago?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2015, 01:09 PM

If you're gonna bow out, do so with a good joke. Mission accomplished.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 25, 2015, 11:20 AM

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2015, 12:38 PM

KER-POOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWW!

I'm giddy.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2015, 03:25 PM

KER-POOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWW!

I'm giddy.
Laughing my fcuking arse off!! All the froggies were going on about how Platini would clean up FIFA. Corruption is in their DNA.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 2, 2015, 04:15 PM

Coke and McDonald's suddenly calling for Blatter's resignation. I can only assume they know about something coming down the line.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 3, 2015, 10:28 AM

Its also Visa and Budweiser too I think.

I'm not sure there is anything prescient there. Its public the Swiss authorities are investigating him, the public and everyone further down the sport (except those he was taking bribes from like Russia and Africa) hate him. His position is as untenable as it gets yet he won't go. Seems they will have to lock him up to get rid of him. I can see him sneaking into Russia to avoid jail at this rate.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 5, 2015, 10:56 AM

Provided exactly what we think will happen (incriminating evidence will cause his downfall) comes to pass, just how much of a villainous character will Blatter be in sports history?

He abused the system, sold the World Cup to human rights abusers, vehemently and repeatedly denied any wrongdoing, and threw the middle finger to all of his critics (not to mention FIFA's sponsors) when they screamed in unison, "We know you're dirty! Resign!"

He makes Goodell look like a saint.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 5, 2015, 11:03 AM

Oddly, I think it's apples to oranges. Blatter's corruption is monetary on a global scale, but does it affect the actual players? Goodell's is the opposite.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 5, 2015, 11:11 AM

Oddly, I think it's apples to oranges. Blatter's corruption is monetary on a global scale, but does it affect the actual players? Goodell's is the opposite.
Players, no.

These guys? Yes.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 5, 2015, 11:15 AM

Players, no.

These guys? Yes.
Like I said, apples and oranges. Blatter's corruption kills people.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 21, 2015, 01:09 PM

Banned for 8 years

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 22, 2015, 12:22 AM

Both of them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules