Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac Hit by Lightning

iMac Hit by Lightning
MacHarbor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2005, 12:40 PM

My folks iMac was plugged in during a storm, and I believe the internal modem has been fried in some way. It works, but it is really grainy when attempting to connect, and drops the connection frequently. The line is fine, I have tested the connectors and wires and everything outside of the iMac is fine.

I would like to know if anyone knows where I can get an external USB modem that works with MacOS 10.3 or later.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2005, 01:36 PM

Apple now Sells a USB modem for the iMac, check it out on their site.
Linkinus is king.

MacHarbor  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2005, 09:53 PM

Been looking at their site, ever since I heard about this new modem of their's. The only page they seem to list it on is their iMac web page, and even then, the link to it doesn't go anywhere. They don't have a single page that talks about it more than "Apple's new USB modem".

Searching the Apple Store for USB Modem returns everything BUT modems.

if you have a direct link to the information and purchase info for the Apple modem, please post it.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 20, 2005, 03:59 PM

Instead of guessing, test. Take the iMac to a different phone line (one known not to have been hit by lightning) and see how the iMac behaves when you try to connect. If available, use another computer to try to dial in using the parents' phone line. Find out where the problem lies before spending money on a fix.

tooki

whelkboy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2005, 06:49 AM

This happened to my old orange iMac a few years ago. I bought a PC modem but obviously, there were no drivers for it and ended up forking out a fortune for a Mac one!

MacHarbor  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2005, 01:52 PM

I did all of the testing before posting this question about a mac compatiable modem. We took the imac to our shop and are using it on our DSL line now, and replaced the iMac at my folks house with a new Mac Mini.

Forum Links
Forum Rules