Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Braid

Braid
sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 11, 2008, 12:24 PM

This is the topic for all things Braid.

I just made my way to World 4, where time moves in the direction you move. Very whacky so far, and very head-scratch-worthy.

Bogues actually hunted me down for private chat because he was stuck in world 2 (at the same place I was stuck no less).

Tips and Tricks: X reverses time slowly. X and L trigger reverse time x2. Keep pressing L trigger when X is held down and you can multiply reversed time up to x8. X and R trigger pause time. Keep pressing R trigger when X is held down and you can fast-forward time up to x8.

That's all for now.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2008, 12:26 PM

That sounds... intimidating.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 11, 2008, 12:31 PM

Don't fear the Braid. You can't die...just reverse time!

No saving, you can exit to the main world map at any time, go back to any level you missed things in.

They made figuring out the puzzle the only hard thing to do, everything else about the game is kiddie-easy.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2008, 12:33 PM

So you're saying my Stephen Hawking-like motor functions will not be a factor, but my Stephen Hawking-like intellect will?

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 11, 2008, 12:35 PM

Exactly, quickness of thumbs is not a requirement. It's mostly just jumping on platforms.

Well worth the 1200 MS points IMO.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2008, 12:39 PM

$15 is a touch higher than I'd have liked.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 11, 2008, 12:41 PM

Luckily I had 180 MS points so I was 20 shy of being able to buy 1000

So now I have an extra 820....

Give the demo a whirl first, only 144MB and you'll be able to tell your level of addiction. It goes by real fast though.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 11, 2008, 09:21 PM

Beat it!

Now comes the arduous task of figuring out what the hell the narrative means. There's a quote from the first person to witness an atomic blast, amongst other obtuse, yet colorful, story-lines all intertwined....nay braided together.

The end of this game can't be missed!

Props to thejokell for bringing it to my attention

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 12, 2008, 03:38 AM

I just downloaded the trial version. Holy cow, what a headscrew. I like how some of the puzzles seem literally impossible, but then you look at it a different way and it's like, "Oh, you just stand here and reverse time and everything works itself out." Very original. It's a good thing I didn't buy the full version yet or I probably wouldn't make it to work tomorrow morning.

Incidentally, I know what part you and Bogues were talking about in World 2. That puzzle is pure evil.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2008, 11:34 AM

The full version is awesome, world 2 is easy by comparison, except that infamous part.

In 2-2 look at that cloud at the far right. Think it's stationary? Give it some time

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2008, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Give it some time
This begs for a David Caruso delivery.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2008, 12:15 PM

i was definitely up in the air about a arcade game with such SNES quality graphics being 15$ but after reading a lot of reviews it seemed worth it, such a simple concept but well worth the money.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2008, 03:04 PM

Next up, getting all the stars. Yes, there are stars to collect which unlock a secondary 'ending' so to speak.

Of course I had to cheat to figure out that they even existed, not to mention the fact that getting them just might be the most arduous task in video gaming history.

Example: The first star takes 2 hours of actual game time to get to.

Aegis
Forum Regular
Aug 12, 2008, 05:50 PM

And one of the stars seems to require you to restart your game (assuming you've completed World 3's puzzle).

But certainly a great game. I thought I'd play for a few minutes after I purchased it and I ended up sitting for a couple hours until I beat it. Now to tackle the speed run achievement.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2008, 06:22 PM

Yep, I'm on my second game right now, just collected my 3rd star

Tried a few speed runs and failed miserably, those will come after my star quest is complete.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2008, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Aegis View Post
But certainly a great game. I thought I'd play for a few minutes after I purchased it and I ended up sitting for a couple hours until I beat it.
I played the demo and immediately bought it.

Got stuck real bad in world 3 and turned off the 360, took a few steps away and got the urge to play again.

Now THAT'S a sign of a good game.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 18, 2008, 11:36 AM

I have about 75% of the puzzles completed... but Bionic Commando has stolen all of my attention.

I got pretty frustrated by a few puzzles and decided to give the game a break.

It is good though. I'm not sure that it's as revolutionary as some people are saying it is... but it is definitely worth the $15.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 18, 2008, 12:34 PM

The revolutionary part is more about the way the story is told, which comes together in a very cool twist at the end of the game.

Without beating it yet you are missing out on the whole picture.

This Bionic Commando looks cool though, how much $$$?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 18, 2008, 06:27 PM

$10 bucks. Worth every penny.

I'll get back to braid. I think I needed a break.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2008, 11:58 PM

Very interesting game definitely. Been reading up on it and the dude(s) who made it said they invested $180k into it (dont know how they reached that amount). XBLA is charging $15(right?) for it, and apparently it has sold 40-50k.

Blow then mentions that he hopes to break even !! is he getting shafted by Microsoft ?

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2008, 05:47 AM

Chuckit, sorry for the new thread - thanks for locking.

Its a really amazing cool game. Very impressed, the developer sounds like a great guy too (scolding developers for making games that reward time spent rather than skill)
we don't have time to stop for gas

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2008, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Very interesting game definitely. Been reading up on it and the dude(s) who made it said they invested $180k into it (dont know how they reached that amount). XBLA is charging $15(right?) for it, and apparently it has sold 40-50k.

Blow then mentions that he hopes to break even !! is he getting shafted by Microsoft ?
I think when he says "break even," he means money invested + time invested. Like, he wants to be able to continue doing this without having to get a "real" job that would steal his attention.

And yeah, he seems like an interesting dude. Have you read his articles on why innovation in video games is pointless and on how our consciousness travels through time? And he came up with all that stuff long before Braid, I think.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 2, 2008, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
I think when he says "break even," he means money invested + time invested. Like, he wants to be able to continue doing this without having to get a "real" job that would steal his attention.

And yeah, he seems like an interesting dude. Have you read his articles on why innovation in video games is pointless and on how our consciousness travels through time? And he came up with all that stuff long before Braid, I think.
No i havent, i did see an interview with him on 1up (ithink) where he talked a little. someone mentioned this game was made cause of a failed relationship n wishing to go back in time n stuff. And yea he does sound like an interesting guy, wouldnt mind reading up on it if you could fish out the link.

Cheers

Forum Links
Forum Rules