Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Computer Science vs Computer Engineering w/Software focus?

Computer Science vs Computer Engineering w/Software focus?
itistoday
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2005, 09:27 PM

So I've got to decide on a major. I'm currently stuck between Computer Science and Computer Engineering with a software focus (there's also a hardware specific engineering major but I'm not big on hardware). The courses are similar for both, and many overlap, but Computer Engineering has more math and science courses that are required, plus a couple of hardware courses, and it takes a bit longer to complete the engineering degree. Also, Computer Science is in the College of Liberal Arts at the university I'll be attending, while Computer Engineering is obviously at the College of Engineering

I've been told that there are better job opportunities and more money available with the Computer Engineering. Is this true? I can handle the work load that comes with Computer Engineering, so the main question is which degree is valued higher in the programming job market?

parallax
Admin Emeritus
Jun 14, 2005, 02:58 AM

Computer Engineering pays better on average for those software engineering jobs.

Computer Science is generally the scientific (well, mathematical) approach to the field and is better if you're planning on doing research or theory-related things. However, for software engineering, Computer Engineering is likely to get you more money, if that's what you're looking for.

Of course, either way, you should pursue a Masters before getting a job.
"Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain" (Schiller)

toffe
Forum Regular
Jun 14, 2005, 05:35 AM

I agree with parallax.
Think of what you WANT to do for a living. It's the rest of your life we're talking about. It is much better if you enjoy your work and get less, than hate it and you get lots of money.
I study computer science myself. (we started immediately with software development).
I'm on a program called software development, specializing on user interfaces, that's what i like.
But nevertheless i can still work in different areas of software development but that's what i'd like to live on.

Check what kind of study programs they have, and the description of the diefferent courses, and see what interrests you, and imagine you doing that for 20 years or so..

zanyterp
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 14, 2005, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by parallax

is there really that much of a difference between a BS and MS for the job market? or is ti more on the monetary side of things that there is a difference? just wondering as i will be finishing my BS in about a year and if there is that much difference in job opportunities, i would like to know so i can start looking at Master's programs and figuring out where to go for that.

i had asked something similar on an earlier thread (how far to go in education) and the impression i got from there is that it really doesn't matter. thanks!
some people are like slinkys: they don't do much, but are fun to push down stairs.

parallax
Admin Emeritus
Jun 14, 2005, 11:33 AM

I don't know how many jobs you'll open up by getting an M.S., but there will be some good ones that you'll be more likely to get. You will get more money for your M.S., and this will easily pay for the time that you spend studying for it. The way I see it, school is not an opportunity you really get again, and since you'll be spending the rest of your life with jobs, might as well learn as much as you can in school -- especially if it's going to end up better for you in the long run in all ways!

From the practical side, the job market today is not so great. Things are starting to look a bit better, it seems, but who knows how long it'll take before it's all the rage to be in the tech industry again. There's no good reason to rush into the job market given the current state of affairs. And judging by current trends, you're better off trying to give yourself as much of an advantage as you can so that you'll be doing highly valued work and not have to worry about the pressures that people today are feeling (young graduates taking their jobs; the current trend of outsourcing).

itistoday  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2005, 01:34 PM

Computer Engineering pays better on average for those software engineering jobs.

Computer Science is generally the scientific (well, mathematical) approach to the field and is better if you're planning on doing research or theory-related things. However, for software engineering, Computer Engineering is likely to get you more money, if that's what you're looking for.

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll stick with Computer Engineering and see how it goes. I can always change my major if I don't like it.

thesearcher
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 14, 2005, 02:43 PM

I strongly agree with parallax too.

If I was in your position, I'ld go with Electrical Eng with a few computer courses. Then you have something to fall back on.

menglish
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 14, 2005, 02:44 PM

I think you answered your own question here:
"Computer Engineering has more math and science courses that are required, plus a couple of hardware courses, and it takes a bit longer to complete the engineering degree."

looks like Computer Engineering is the way to go at your school.

PBG4 User
Senior User
Jun 15, 2005, 01:57 PM

Funny, our CS professors told us to get a job and have the job pay for our MS.
20" iMac G5! :D AND MacBook 1.83GHz!
Canon Digital Rebel Kit + 75 - 300mm lens. Yum Yum! :D
Check out my OS X Musical Scales program

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2005, 02:33 PM

If the CS course is in the College of Liberal Arts, then that shows they're not treating "Computer Science" as a science at all. Avoid that program at all costs. If you want to work in software but you're at a school with such a program, then take CE instead.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

thesearcher
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 15, 2005, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by PBG4 User
Funny, our CS professors told us to get a job and have the job pay for our MS.
Colleges will say whatever they have to to get people to take their programs.

Partisan01
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 15, 2005, 09:11 PM

I don't know how many jobs you'll open up by getting an M.S., but there will be some good ones that you'll be more likely to get. You will get more money for your M.S., and this will easily pay for the time that you spend studying for it. The way I see it, school is not an opportunity you really get again, and since you'll be spending the rest of your life with jobs, might as well learn as much as you can in school -- especially if it's going to end up better for you in the long run in all ways!

From the practical side, the job market today is not so great. Things are starting to look a bit better, it seems, but who knows how long it'll take before it's all the rage to be in the tech industry again. There's no good reason to rush into the job market given the current state of affairs. And judging by current trends, you're better off trying to give yourself as much of an advantage as you can so that you'll be doing highly valued work and not have to worry about the pressures that people today are feeling (young graduates taking their jobs; the current trend of outsourcing).
I would recommend AGAINST getting a M.S. Companies want EXPERIENCE. A degree will get you in the door but your experience is what makes you valuable in the IT field. Our company prefers a degree but it's the skills you can bring to the table that make you valuable. We would not higher someone with an M.S. and no real world experience. You can only learn so much in the classroom, the real world of IT was nothing like college at all from what I've experienced. I learned more in my first six months on the job than in 4.5 years of college.

Job market....I live in Pittsburgh PA, say what you want but the IT market have a drought of workers and lots of places looking for people. We had a DBA position open for months because there were not enough qualified canidates in the area. I know of a number of other IT shops that are looking for people in the area as well. It might pay to look here.

Best of luck.
Apple iBook, B&W, Quadra 660, PowerMac 6100
Sun Netra T1, Ultra 1, Javastation
http://natetobik.mine.nu:81

thesearcher
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 15, 2005, 09:49 PM

I would recommend AGAINST getting a M.S. Companies want EXPERIENCE. A degree will get you in the door but your experience is what makes you valuable in the IT field. Our company prefers a degree but it's the skills you can bring to the table that make you valuable. We would not higher someone with an M.S. and no real world experience. You can only learn so much in the classroom, the real world of IT was nothing like college at all from what I've experienced. I learned more in my first six months on the job than in 4.5 years of college.
No experience, no job; no job, no experience. People have to start somewhere.

Job market....I live in Pittsburgh PA, say what you want but the IT market have a drought of workers and lots of places looking for people. We had a DBA position open for months because there were not enough qualified canidates in the area. I know of a number of other IT shops that are looking for people in the area as well. It might pay to look here.
If your company insists on only experienced people, then yes, you'll be looking a long time.

parallax
Admin Emeritus
Jun 15, 2005, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Partisan01

Best of luck.
- My point isn't that getting an M.S. is going to open up a lot of jobs for you (as I said before). Some better, more interesting jobs will be opened up because those jobs value people with an M.S. or Ph.D. Yes, these are rare, but why would you not shoot for the best? You're spending the rest of your life with this.

- An M.S. does not prevent you from getting experience. It simply delays the starting point by one or two years. Having an M.S., your starting point may very well be better.

- Being in school does not prevent you from getting experience /while you are in school/. You can do research at your school's department during the school year as well as apply for summer internships. Interning with a company for a few years is pretty much guaranteed to get you a job there. And a lot of very cool companies that are doing cutting edge stuff offer good college internships, whereas getting hired a these places straight out of college is very difficult.

- In Computer Engineering, people with an M.S. degree get paid more on average. There is no disputing this. Whether or not it will make you more likely to get a job, you will be paid more.

- More school is always better if you enjoy the subject. If you really like the field, you will enjoy getting an M.S. and then working more than you will working for 40 years straight up.

Forum Links
Forum Rules