Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > question regarding installing new RAM

question regarding installing new RAM
stenz77
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2005, 09:42 AM

I wanted to upgrade my wife's 1.2Ghz G4 iBook. I went on to Crucial and it showed that I needed PC2100 RAM (the SO DIMM I think). I ordered that from 18004Memory.com and they sent me PC2700 - the right size, but a different speed (even though all of the invoices clearly show I ordered the 2100).

When I installed it, I booted the machine back up and looked in the "About My Mac" screen and it still showed the default 256MB RAM that it comes with.

1) Is there anything I need to do, other than snapping the RAM into place?
2) Would the 2700 speed instead of the 2100 speed make the difference there so that it wouldn't see it or work?

I ordered another chip, this time from Amazon - hoping they get it right. I just would like to know if I am installing it incorrectly, if the speed difference is causing the issue, or if the RAM is just bad.
I am not familiar enough with how Macs deal with RAM - I know PCs are relatively flexible when it comes to RAM speeds.

broxy5
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 26, 2005, 12:00 PM

Do a search. There are plenty of threads on this topic.

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=261620

I had trouble myself, but read your way through this thread. It's seems to be all about snapping it in firmly until most of the gold on the contacts is hidden.

CanadaRAM
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2005, 12:23 PM

PC2700 is fine in the iBook IF it is Mac-compatible RAM. If it isn't tested and guaranteed by the seller as compatible with your model, then all bets are off regardless of what the speed is. The SPD (Serial Presence Detect) settings have to be correct for Mac. PC Generic RAM often does not have the SPDs set properly.

As mentioned, you need to get the RAM connector edge all the way into the socket before laying it down to the horizontal position. You should see no or very little of the connectors remaining visible (less than 1/32")

I recommend that you buy RAM from a reputable seller who tests and guarantees compatibility with your model Mac, offers a lifetime warranty and a no-cost return if it doesn't work.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

stenz77  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2005, 12:43 PM

The RAM is Samsung, which I'm pretty sure is what Apple themselves would sell me if I went on their site.

It sounds like maybe I need to press harder when the RAM is still at an angle - I thought I was, but I think I can still see gold contacts when I do it, and it sounds as if that isn't right (should see very little).

Also, apologies if this comes up a lot - I did a search and apparently didn't do it well enough.

Thanks for clearing up that the speed shouldn't be an issue - I knew I could count on the experts here!

Partisan01
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 26, 2005, 01:44 PM

You should not be able to see any of the contacts if I remember correctly. Don't hammer the RAM in there, but also don't go so gentle that it isn't in all the way. The tough thing about working inside computers is sometimes you need to use a lot of force on a very expensive or delicate part, I don't know why they do that.
Apple iBook, B&W, Quadra 660, PowerMac 6100
Sun Netra T1, Ultra 1, Javastation
http://natetobik.mine.nu:81

volcano
Senior User
Aug 29, 2005, 02:01 AM

Your RAM should be backwards compatible - so even though it's PC2700 it should work under PC2100 conditions just fine.

stenz77  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 29, 2005, 07:58 AM

It worked out great - thanks to you guys!

Instead of pushing it in until I heard a click - I pushed it in much harder, and at an angle (one edge first) until it sounded like it snapped in half and then I pushed the other side in.

Far more force than I had expected, but it works great now!

Thanks again - now seeing that 18004Memory.com gave me the right RAM, I have to say they were quite good about it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules