Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > what database do u guys use?

what database do u guys use?
maCCer
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 4, 2005, 11:31 PM

i went to mysql website, found the database only supports 10.3.
There were once four people named Everybody, Somebody, Nobody and Anybody. Somebody had to do a job, but Nobody wanted to do it. Nobody could see that Anybody could do it, and Somebody got angry about that because it was Everybody's job. Nobody ended up doing it, and it so happened that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have done.

Partisan01
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 5, 2005, 09:17 AM

I have it running on 10.4.1, but I rarely use it. I use MS SQL Server day to day, and Postgresql in my personal work. I can't stand using a DB without stored procedures. YMMV depending on your application. Best of luck.
Apple iBook, B&W, Quadra 660, PowerMac 6100
Sun Netra T1, Ultra 1, Javastation
http://natetobik.mine.nu:81

shucks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2005, 10:09 AM

I am also running it on 10.4.1. Have you tried the serverlogistics.com ones? Complete MySQL. Better still I don't know if anyone tried Oracle yet I was planning to use it. Just like partisan01 said we probably need some kind of stored procedure on the mac platform (i'm not that familiar with Postgresql ones, is it easy to use compared to MS SQL or Oracle?)

---
1.67 GHz 17" Albook - Sudden Motion Sensors Rocks!
Beta test my pet marketplace http://www.takethisdeveloper.com today!

insha
Senior User
Oct 27, 2005, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by shucks
I am also running it on 10.4.1. Have you tried the serverlogistics.com ones? Complete MySQL. Better still I don't know if anyone tried Oracle yet I was planning to use it. Just like partisan01 said we probably need some kind of stored procedure on the mac platform (i'm not that familiar with Postgresql ones, is it easy to use compared to MS SQL or Oracle?)

---
1.67 GHz 17" Albook - Sudden Motion Sensors Rocks!
Beta test my pet marketplace http://www.takethisdeveloper.com today!
MySQL.com has installer for Tiger.

MySQL 5.0.x has Stored Procedures, Triggers and Views implemented... finally. I just installed it on 10.4.2 and its running fine. I'll update as I get to play with the new abilities (in MySQL).

At present I use PostgreSQL, like Partisan01, in my personal work. I also have Oracle installed on my Mac, as I use Oracle at work so it's nice have it at home.

Partisan01
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2005, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by insha
MySQL.com has installer for Tiger.

MySQL 5.0.x has Stored Procedures, Triggers and Views implemented... finally. I just installed it on 10.4.2 and its running fine. I'll update as I get to play with the new abilities (in MySQL).

At present I use PostgreSQL, like Partisan01, in my personal work. I also have Oracle installed on my Mac, as I use Oracle at work so it's nice have it at home.
How is it running Oracle on your Mac? I have been thinking about installing it, my options are on 10.4.2 on a B&W with lots of ram or a Sun Netra with Solaris. I'm leaning towards Solaris for the simple fact that the marriage of Sun and Oracle seems more natural than Oracle and OS X.

Someone posted earlier in the thread asking about stored procedures in Postgresql. They're very similar to PL/SQL. There are some quirks with them because technically the whole stored procedure is one string. I've been digging into Postgres more at work recently, we're using it on a project, it's very powerful. If you can program in TSQL or PL/SQL then stored procedure in Postgres are a breeze.

insha
Senior User
Oct 28, 2005, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Partisan01
How is it running Oracle on your Mac? I have been thinking about installing it, my options are on 10.4.2 on a B&W with lots of ram or a Sun Netra with Solaris. I'm leaning towards Solaris for the simple fact that the marriage of Sun and Oracle seems more natural than Oracle and OS X.

Someone posted earlier in the thread asking about stored procedures in Postgresql. They're very similar to PL/SQL. There are some quirks with them because technically the whole stored procedure is one string. I've been digging into Postgres more at work recently, we're using it on a project, it's very powerful. If you can program in TSQL or PL/SQL then stored procedure in Postgres are a breeze.
Oracle9i runs fine on the Mac. It's just installing it is a PIA; you are right, Oracle and Sun are a better option. I have it running on the Mac mini (1.42) with 512MB RAM and it performs fine, but then again I didn't really stress test it or anything, of course YMMV. I haven't tried installing 10g, but they have a version for OS X as well.

Personally I prefer PostgreSQL/MySQL on the Mac.

techtrucker
Senior User
Oct 29, 2005, 06:28 PM

I'm using PostgreSQL for all my database needs, works very well. Wrote my own Cocoa framework for it, when I have the time I'll package it up and put it on versiontracker.
MacBook 2.0 160/2GB/SuperDrive
Lots of older Macs

laveeza
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2005, 09:32 PM

I'm using PostgreSQL for all my database needs, works very well. Its really very nice!

Imran hashmi
www.visionstudio.co.uk 0044-7969012441

Brass
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2005, 09:48 PM

SQLite is very nice, if you want something purely embedded, and don't need an external RDBMS. But then you may as well use Cocoa's CoreData.

SQLite is much faster than MySQL or any of the other RDBMSs, as it doesn't require any of that client/server interaction. However, it is of course more cumbersome to use, as it is a lower level.

For those who think Sun/Oracle are a good match... I certainly agree. However, Oracle seem to prefer RedHat over Solaris these days, which is a little disappointing, I think.

Gavin
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2005, 09:25 AM

Considering all the goodies in MySQL 5 why would you use Oracle?

Off the top of my head I can think of support, maturity and track record. Possibly development tools, like GUI system design tools, etc. Great if you have a ginormous project and fat budget.

But if you are not running the billing department for GM then what has Oracle got that MySQL 5 hasn't?

Triggers, stored procedures, unions, views, transactions, row level locking, user permissions, clustering, failover, platform independence, scalable, etc., etc. There are even books, training courses and commercial support.

Not trying to be antagonistic, just curious.
You can take the dude out of So Cal, but you can't take the dude outta the dude, dude!

Partisan01
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 2005, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Gavin
Considering all the goodies in MySQL 5 why would you use Oracle?

Off the top of my head I can think of support, maturity and track record. Possibly development tools, like GUI system design tools, etc. Great if you have a ginormous project and fat budget.

But if you are not running the billing department for GM then what has Oracle got that MySQL 5 hasn't?

Triggers, stored procedures, unions, views, transactions, row level locking, user permissions, clustering, failover, platform independence, scalable, etc., etc. There are even books, training courses and commercial support.

Not trying to be antagonistic, just curious.
I'm not an Oracle fanboy, or MySQL, I think both have their own place. Off the top of my head I can think of : scalability, proven track record, integration path with many other software products. MySQL 5 has all of those features, but it's new on the block, Oracle has had this stuff for years and had it working for years. MySQL 5 is an initial release, I would not run anything important on it for a few years at least. Is MySQL ACID compliant yet?

I believe in the right tool for the right job, I would not run a dept billing system on Oracle, but at the same time I wouldn't run a high availability system on MySQL. We run MySQL at my place of employment and we have had a number of performace/reliability problems when to much data comes in at once (millions of rows/second) whereas with SQL Server we've never had a problem.

I think the biggest factor is the PHB factor, every IS manager knows about Oracle, but not as many know about MySQL....

Forum Links
Forum Rules