Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > USB/parallel connection to LW 16/600?

USB/parallel connection to LW 16/600?
sra
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 18, 2002, 01:16 PM

I find myself with an old LaserWriter 16/600 PS printer, which I am loath to discard....

Its connectors include an old-style serial port, a peculiar looking (to me) ethernet port, and a Centronics parallel port. None of these are obviously useful to connect it to a modern mac (e.g., a new iMac), or to put it on the local ethernet (though perhaps that EN connector would work, if I had the right cable).

The best bet looks like the Centronics connector, with a USB<->parallel cable (I have one of those somewhere from an HP machine). But what do I need to do after making the physical connection to get this thing to print from OS X?

I'm sure the answer is obvious - plese be gentle :-)

BobW
Forum Regular
Dec 18, 2002, 02:49 PM

The 16/600PS has an ethernet port. Just use that.

sra  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 18, 2002, 03:09 PM

The 16/600PS has an ethernet port. Just use that.

Fine, but how? All the ethernet cables I know of have phone-like RJ-45 connectors on them, and this port looks more like a DB-9 (But I don't really know what to call it).

And if I do connect it to the net, will it identify itself on AppleTalk without any other adaptors?

I know these are probably stupid questions, but I'd appreciate help anyway. Thanks.

mac-at-kearsarge
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2002, 01:43 PM

The Ethernet connector that you speak of is a AAUI connector. By going on ebay or a used part site you'll be able to find for cheap an AAUI to ethernet (RJ45) adapter. I have to use one on my centris 650 which I use as a mail server.

Now I'll have to chack and get back to you on weather you can just hook it up and go. I believe this adapter will be all you'll need, and use the generic 'postscript" drivers in OS X. If you are connecting this via a true network, check and see if your routers and such support Appletalk, as it MAY be nessary to use this printer, But I THINK it can handle TCP/IP
iGeek

sra  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 21, 2002, 02:30 PM

Thanks for the details. I asked around, and one of my colleagues actually had one of these adaptors - I used it to connect the printer to the net, and everything "just worked." And now I know what to call it in case he needs it back and I have to go look for another one....

Forum Links
Forum Rules