Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I just went Mac and I aint ever going back

I just went Mac and I aint ever going back
warlag
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2013, 08:50 PM

Hey i used to post on here years back but I was just a mac lover at the time and never made the big jump. But now I finally have made that big jump and bought myself a base model Mac Mini with the wireless keyboard and mouse. I love it! Dont know why I didn't do this years ago. My problem is I don't know much about the different apps outs there for Mac. What I love doing mostly is recording myself practice my guitar and other guitar licks etc. I was wondering if anybody can help and recomend me some must have apps that I should check out and good apps for recording guitar. I really appreciate the help also!

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2013, 02:08 AM

Garage Band shipped with your computer. You should give that a try. Sounds like the right app for what you want to do.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2013, 02:20 AM

Do you have the hardware to plug your guitar into your computer?

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2013, 10:30 AM

Welcome to the dark side.

You'll be back. I'll be waiting.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

andi*pandi
Jun 24, 2013, 11:09 AM

Hi Warlag!

warlag  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2013, 03:58 PM

Thank you all for the welcomes! I look forward to embracing the dark side. lol. I do have the hardware to hook my guitar up to the computer I do like playing around with Garage Band however I use to enjoy useing FL Studio on Windows. I was hopeing to find something around that style.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2013, 05:34 PM

The closest to FL Studio is going to be Ableton Live, which is around the same price region as FL Studio. Along with Reason, it's the de-facto standard in techno and other production, and it was the only real loop-based production environment until Fruity Loops turned their toy into a real product and renamed it FL Studio. There's a demo version available.

Sadly, FL Studio will probably never make it onto the Mac.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2013, 07:02 PM

If you already have a legit copy of Windows, why not install VirtualBox (which is free) and run FL Studio in a virtual machine? It'd be plenty fast.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2013, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
If you already have a legit copy of Windows, why not install VirtualBox (which is free) and run FL Studio in a virtual machine? It'd be plenty fast.

It also runs in WINE. If you can run something in WINE without issues, this is your best option.

mindwaves
Jun 24, 2013, 09:18 PM

I use VirtualBox and it works perfectly fine on my rMPB with Windows XP.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2013, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
Real-time audio production software in a virtualization is generally a no-no.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2013, 04:58 AM

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2013, 04:04 PM

Is there actual reasoning behind the option button symbol?

andi*pandi
Jun 26, 2013, 04:20 PM

Option: You could climb up the stairs, or you could slide down the stairs, or you could levitate.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2013, 04:38 PM

Is there cake at the end?

andi*pandi
Jun 26, 2013, 05:06 PM

Are you an optimist?

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2013, 05:20 PM

To me, the cake is half eaten, not half-cake.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2013, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Is there actual reasoning behind the option button symbol?
Yes: it's actually a switch, like a track running from left to right. You can choose either track: same direction, but different option. Which is why it's generally used for similar commands (Cmd-W is close, Cmd-opt-W is close all, Cmd-H is hide, Cmd-Opt-H is hide others, etc.).

andi*pandi
Jun 26, 2013, 10:01 PM

Cmd-LZ is take the Stairway to Heaven, Cmd-opt-LZ is take the Escalator to Heaven.

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2013, 12:23 AM

I have learned something through this thread derailment, I appreciate the explanation, it never made sense to me either.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2013, 12:31 AM

It didn't derail, it was just option-keyed a bit.

P
Jun 27, 2013, 05:00 AM

I wish I had that old Mac SE manual from when I was a kid. It explained things like this in explicit detail.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2013, 05:45 AM

I still have that. It's in the original packaging with the Mac SE it came with. It's the 1990 version, though, so I'm not sure the manual is the same as the one that came with my first Mac SE (bought used in 1989, and long since sold).

I'll dig it up.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2013, 05:49 AM

I realized the most bizarre thing.

One of the reasons the option key symbol never clicked for me is I've been reading it right to left.

andi*pandi
Jun 27, 2013, 03:08 PM

mind=blown

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2013, 03:33 PM

What I miss is the Getting Starter Hypercard slideshow that came with our MacPlus. It explained all the mouse can keyboard mechanics. Would be even better now with all the touch pad/ magic mouse gestures added in.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2013, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
What I miss is the Getting Starter Hypercard slideshow that came with our MacPlus. It explained all the mouse can keyboard mechanics. Would be even better now with all the touch pad/ magic mouse gestures added in.
I don't know if that's what you're referring to, but there was a "Macintosh Basics" tutorial that came with all machines in the 80s to at least mid-90s (I have version 5.0.3 here, from 1994). That was a self-contained app, though, and not Hypercard.

I don't think you necessarily need to explain and train the basics of how to point at objects on the screen with a mouse, and how to lift it when you run out of space, and how to click on an object to select it, anymore. Every kid has grown up learning that for two decades now.

The touchpad/magic Mouse gestures at least are explained, with video, in the system preferences.
And there's this:
Apple - Support - Mac Basics
and this:
Apple - Find Out How - Mac Basics

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2013, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
I don't know if that's what you're referring to, but there was a "Macintosh Basics" tutorial that came with all machines in the 80s to at least mid-90s (I have version 5.0.3 here, from 1994). That was a self-contained app, though, and not Hypercard.

I don't think you necessarily need to explain and train the basics of how to point at objects on the screen with a mouse, and how to lift it when you run out of space, and how to click on an object to select it, anymore. Every kid has grown up learning that for two decades now.

The touchpad/magic Mouse gestures at least are explained, with video, in the system preferences.
And there's this:
Apple - Support - Mac Basics
and this:
Apple - Find Out How - Mac Basics
That's the one. You'll have to forgive my memory its been 30 years since I've used it and i'm not at home to fish out the disk. I don't have to explain it to you, I did have to explain it to my dad. He worked retail and never used a computer till he retired.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2013, 04:50 PM

Don't they also force you to prove you can use their "natural" touchpad scrolling?

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2013, 05:01 PM

The command key is an old Dutch symbol for camp (or maybe caravan) site, isn't it? And Jobs just liked it.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2013, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
That's the one. You'll have to forgive my memory its been 30 years since I've used it and i'm not at home to fish out the disk. I don't have to explain it to you, I did have to explain it to my dad. He worked retail and never used a computer till he retired.
Yeah, but that was ten years ago or more, wasn't it?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2013, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
The command key is an old Dutch symbol for camp (or maybe caravan) site, isn't it? And Jobs just liked it.
Swedish. And no, not quite.

Folklore.org: Macintosh Stories: Swedish Campground

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2013, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Don't they also force you to prove you can use their "natural" touchpad scrolling?
I've found that the less people have to do with computers, the more "natural" scrolling does seem completely natural.

That's usually a good sign.

Natural scrolling, to me, was so hindsight-obvious that the first thing I did (within minutes of installing Lion) was to search out a tool that would turn scrolling "natural" on all my remaining pre-Lion machines.

P
Jun 27, 2013, 05:57 PM

If you ever see that sign on a road sign in Sweden, be aware that it doesn't actually mean campground, whatever their symbol dictionary said in Cupertino back in -83. It means sight or tourist attraction, and it's supposed to look like a medevial castle with four towers. It always struck me as a good symbol for "command", even if it was an accident.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2013, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
If you ever see that sign on a road sign in Sweden, be aware that it doesn't actually mean campground, whatever their symbol dictionary said in Cupertino back in -83. It means sight or tourist attraction, and it's supposed to look like a medevial castle with four towers. It always struck me as a good symbol for "command", even if it was an accident.
You're a sight or tourist attraction.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2013, 09:18 PM

Yeah, but that was ten years ago or more, wasn't it?
Lets see my mom had a Vista laptop at the time...

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2013, 01:03 AM

I've found that the less people have to do with computers, the more "natural" scrolling does seem completely natural.

That's usually a good sign.

Natural scrolling, to me, was so hindsight-obvious that the first thing I did (within minutes of installing Lion) was to search out a tool that would turn scrolling "natural" on all my remaining pre-Lion machines.
I'm glad I didn't use my original choice of "borked" scrolling. Then we'd have to fight again.

I'm actually fine with it. I knew it was happening, and just decided to tackle the learning curve.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2013, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Option: You could climb up the stairs, or you could slide down the stairs, or you could levitate.
First I read this and laughed. Then I read the answer below and realized it isn't too far off from the truth. Well, except for the levitation option.

Yes: it's actually a switch, like a track running from left to right. You can choose either track: same direction, but different option. Which is why it's generally used for similar commands (Cmd-W is close, Cmd-opt-W is close all, Cmd-H is hide, Cmd-Opt-H is hide others, etc.).
On a side note, I miss the old Apple keyboards that didn't spell out the word command and had the apple logo on the command key even if that made no sense.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 3, 2013, 09:06 PM

shifuimam has a good point. If you have some expensive Windows apps, there's no reason why you can't also install Windows on your Mac until you can buy (if you even need to) a native Mac equivalent app.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 3, 2013, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
shifuimam has a good point. If you have some expensive Windows apps, there's no reason why you can't also install Windows on your Mac until you can buy (if you even need to) a native Mac equivalent app.
Running FL Studio in a virtualization is a no-go, though.

It would have to be in Boot Camp. Which of course *is* an option, at least until warlag decides to switch to Ableton.

Forum Links
Forum Rules