Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > After a week: do you still think MacBook Pro sounds silly?

After a week: do you still think MacBook Pro sounds silly? (Page 2)
GreenwoodMO
Forum Regular
Jan 19, 2006, 02:21 PM

I don't mind the name.

Podolsky
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 19, 2006, 05:01 PM

Oh, and Pismo was a good name right?

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 19, 2006, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by NateEssex
I really liked "Powerbook". Maybe it's the 3 syllables that's killing it...Mac-Book-Pro.
PowerBook also has 3 syllables. American education at its finest folks.

For the record, I do realize Icruise already pointed this out, but it is so damn ridiculous, it just has to be pointed out again.
The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing
- Edmund Burke

porieux
Baninated
Jan 19, 2006, 06:02 PM

( Last edited by porieux; Oct 2, 2006 at 07:02 AM. )

baw
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2006, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Podolsky
I beleive that was the codename. I don't remember seeing ads for the Mac Pismo laptop.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2006, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by baw
I beleive that was the codename. I don't remember seeing ads for the Mac Pismo laptop.

pismo was, like lombard, wallstreet, etc...a code name.

but, apple's naming ideas for the last several years: "powerbook" (WE invented "tibook", and "alubook", for example), is a great way to keep the masses in the dark, about which mac they buy, and whether or not it's the latest.

i see years ahead of macbooks and macbook pros...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

powerbook911
Jan 19, 2006, 08:47 PM

I loved the Powerbook name.

However, I do not dislike MacBook Pro. It sounds fine to me, and I will get used to it quickly I'm sure. I never hated it. I am a bit sad to see Powerbook go, but MacBook Pro is fine.
12" Powerbook G4 1.5 GHZ, 1.25GB RAM, 80g, Superdrive
17" iMac Core Duo 1.83 GHZ, 1.5GB RAM
20" Cinema Display
60g iPod w/Video
iPod Shuffle (512 MB)

barang
Forum Regular
Jan 19, 2006, 09:08 PM

Yeah "MacBook" just sucks. I do agree, though, that we'll all get used to it in a few months.

For those of you who remind us that Powerbook sounded just as bad in 1991, I agree; it's just that MacBook seems much worse.
"But the beauty of Grace is that it makes life not fair."

My Flickr

NateEssex
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 19, 2006, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by madmacgames
PowerBook also has 3 syllables. American education at its finest folks.

For the record, I do realize Icruise already pointed this out, but it is so damn ridiculous, it just has to be pointed out again.
Okay, I misspoke. From my experience, people don't say, "POW-ER-Book"; it's more like "Powuh-Book". When I hear "Mac-Book-Pro", I hear hard syllables with no flow. At least that's what I meant. I guess I should refrain from posting when I'm on medication.

Thanks for the uncharacteristic Mac support
MBP 15" 2.33 ghz 256Video Card
40 Gig iPod, Airport Extreme

Podolsky
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 19, 2006, 10:51 PM

Okay. Does the MacBooks have a code name yet?

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 20, 2006, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by NateEssex
From my experience, people don't say, "POW-ER-Book"; it's more like "Powuh-Book".
Of course people don't say "POW-ER" unless they're screaming. Only the first syllable is stressed.

But MacBook Pro is actually made up of 3 words, so if you try to stress all 3, then it does sound rather funny, but if you treat "MacBook" as a compound and only stress "Mac," then it doesn't sound funny and does flow together smoothly, even if the name itself leaves something to be desired.
The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing
- Edmund Burke

sodamnregistered2
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 20, 2006, 07:21 AM

At first I was like, whatever.

Now I'm pretty sure I don't like it.
MacBook Pro C2D 2.16GHz 2GB 120GB OSX 10.4.9, Boot Camp 1.2, Vista Home Premium
mac mini 1.42, 60GB 7200rpm, 1GB (sold), dual 2GHz/G5 (sold), Powerbook 15" 1GHz (sold)
dual G4 800MHz (sold), dual G4 450MHz (sold), G4 450MHz (sold), Powerbook Pismo G3 500MHz (sold)
PowerMac 9500 132MHz 601, dual 180MHz 604e, Newer G3 400MHz (in closet)
Powermac 7100 80MHz (sold), Powermac 7100 66MHz (sold)

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 20, 2006, 02:51 PM

Then there's the word "Pro"...I mean, it's like the GM slogan; "We're Professional grade"...like the other truck makers aren't? Like all the other Powerbooks weren't? Gee...I'd better get the real "Pro" version now, since my 1.5 Ghz Powerbook isn't the professional laptop I thought it was.

Sure, the name is not something most of us can't get over, but I think I will always cringe at the full sound of it the same way as if someone kept calling me by my first, middle and last name...
( Last edited by urrl78; Jan 20, 2006 at 05:00 PM. )

shunt
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 21, 2006, 12:23 AM

Okay. Does the MacBooks have a code name yet?
Yeah, it's "Chippy"

...you heard it here first, folks.
Please keep in mind the ambiguously selective general understandings we've all agreed upon...

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2006, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by Dr.Michael
We had a nice discussion right after the Macworld here. (That thread was locked up in favour of the official thread).

Most posters thought that MacBook Pro was a silly name and there were suggestions of how to name it right (like Powerbook CoreDuo).

What is your feeling now?

##########
Edit
##########

here is the locked thread.
name = dumb
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

John G. Stillmank
Jan 21, 2006, 06:37 AM

I like the idea of having "Mac" in the name of Apple's laptop offerings. A "Powerbook" could be a Sony, after all. A "Macbook" can only be a Mac. Powerbook becomes Macbook Pro. iBook becomes Macbook. Maybe the iPod should be the PodMac. *man I'm gonna get flamed for that*
15" Aluminum Powerbook G4, 1.25GHz, 1GB, 80GB. Airport Extreme. 4G iPod 60GB.

jwoods
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2006, 09:56 AM

Nah, not PodMac. MacPod.

"Would you like the wireless MacKeyboard and MacMighty Mouse with that?"

"What about our MacAirport?"

I hear they are giving free MacMouse pads away with every MaciMac.

Is it just me, or did someone just say McDonalds?

Ok, I'm done.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 21, 2006, 10:08 AM

In Japan (because of trademark issues) they call Airport "AirMac." I hate it...

:dragonflypro:
Senior User
Jan 21, 2006, 01:08 PM

…and I still think all this pontification the name is just silly.

The name is fine, because it is just a name… and marketing-wise a better choice for brand penetration.

Mac

_kevin
Jan 21, 2006, 01:47 PM

Yes! "Macintosh ProBook" sounds infinitely better.
Starting Line: 15" 1.25GHz Powerbook, iPod 5G 60GB, Nikon 3100, AMD 2200 & Intel P3 Winboxes
Honorably Retired: 12" 867MHz Powerbook, Quadra 610, Mac Plus, iPod 3G 20GB
Dishonorabe Discharge:HP AMD 2.4GHz notebook, Toshiba 1.5GHz Intel Pentium-M Centrino notebook

jwoods
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2006, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by :dragonflypro:
…and I still think all this pontification the name is just silly.

The name is fine, because it is just a name… and marketing-wise a better choice for brand penetration.

Mac
Yep, it's silly but we can still have fun with it, can't we?

HazelGirl
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 22, 2006, 09:02 PM

its a ridiculous name and i understand wanting to get away from the "powerpc" name but i think they still couldda kept powerbook....it just sounds cool. they couldda at least called it the powerbook 2 or powerbook duo or something.

or they couldda come up with a brand new name that just didnt sound stupid like macbookpro.
Mac Mini G4 1.33 Ghz:40GBhf, 512MBRAM, 32MBVRAM
MBP 15.4' 2.33Ghz:160GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
iMac 24' 2.4 Ghz, 300GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
80GB iPod Classic (black)

f1000
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2006, 09:08 PM

I think we should start calling "Macs" "Acs". We don't want to use that pesky 'M' anymore now that Motorola is out of the picture.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2006, 10:01 PM

It's growing on me. I could get used to it.

I thought "PowerBook" sounded cool, but at least MacBook leverages a valuable brandname and is free advertising everytime someone says it. :-)
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2006, 10:02 PM

Blasted double posts.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

MacBliss
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Location: 3rd moon of Alderan, Synaan system, free of any Imperial influence. Long live the rebellion!
Jan 23, 2006, 07:19 AM

and I will call mine (17") a >>Powerbook Pro<< and nothing else.
JM - "Got Mac?"

Dr.Michael  (op)
Jan 23, 2006, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by MacBliss
and I will call mine (17") a >>Powerbook Pro<< and nothing else.
Maybe Radtech will supply stickers (for only 25 $ each) .

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 23, 2006, 02:18 PM

The Pismo was called "Powerbook G3".

Pismo was never a public name for the 'book, it's a developmental codename that eventually got used outside of Apple to distinguish the last-series Powerbook G3 from its Firewire-less predecessors.

I've heard and used and read "MacBook" often enough by now to have grown used to it.

It will make sense once the iBook series become MacBooks as well.

Dr.Michael  (op)
Jan 30, 2006, 01:12 PM

Now that nobody is posting any more I read through your posts and counted the ones that more or less clearly said yes or no.

14 like the name MacBook Pro or think it is ok
30 don't like the name

Maybe I should have made this a poll .
Thanks for your discussion.

f1000
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2006, 02:38 PM

Just call yours the MikeBook Pro.

bourgeoisie
Jan 30, 2006, 05:56 PM

i'd be very interested to know how much of the r&d budget for this new portable went to shrinks and sociologists, predicting the way the name would be received by the public.

with that said, i like 'macbook pro' because it brands the computer in the name, which is important. the people that visit forums like these are convinced mac users, so they don't need to impress us. but apple does need to impress every pc user in the market for a new computer, and i think they made a bold and excellent choice by using macbook pro (and likely macbook for the new consumer portables).

example: when i tell people i have an ibook, rarely do they ask, but it's very common to see a look of confusion on their faces. it's like the term "ebook" or "email", it's very generic and doesn't have any brand power. but then when you hear "gmail" you automatically think of google mail.

macbook and macbook pro will become a much stronger brand than ibook and powerbook ever were or could be, because they have the brand name built in. i don't really get the closed-mindedness in these forums, the brand is evolving and we either have to jump on that train and accept the change, or get out of the way because apple's doing big things.
green links don't belong to me!

Salty
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2006, 06:14 PM

Quite frankly the PowerBook was probably one of the worst brandings going on. Sure in a lot of it's market it's well known, that's to be expected. When I told people I had an iBook before they just assumed that it was just some laptop, they never realized it was a Mac. I don't think they need to and I hope they don't change the iBook's name.
I think the iBook's name has more than enough brand power. I think PowerBook really wasn't that great of a name compared to a lot of the laptop brandings out there right now.
That being said I imagine if Apple comes out with a MacBook mini or something of that nature things will make more sense. As well once Apple changes the PowerMac to the Mac Pro.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2006, 06:28 PM

I can't wait for my MacPod. :-)
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Dr.Michael  (op)
Jan 31, 2006, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by f1000
Just call yours the MikeBook Pro.
Well, doesn't sound bad! I will honestly take this into account and prepare a sticker as soon as my Tibook collapses

aneurysm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2006, 07:57 AM

i don't mind the macbook pro, then again my last 'book was a 1995 duo, i was kind of hoping for a little nostalgic naming but dreams are just that... Now with the mac pro news it has me thinking about apple's attempt to perfectly define all of it's products-

[1]if the ibook becomes the macbook, then the imac becomes the lone 'i' product in the 'actual' computer lineup and to me, that sounds disunited. it seems to me just calling the imac- mac would be a better option in that case, and 'i' names would be relegated to software, ipod, and future media products.
or
[2]imacbook doesn't sound that bad, 'i' for the consumer range as it is/was.

-aneurysm
[FONT=Arial]in an extreme example of the proletarians shouldering the blunders of they're "bush league" boss'- i'm a fed.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Narrow][i realize how crude my grammar can be, no need to point it out; thank you.][/FONT]

jwoods
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2006, 10:25 AM

I think I'd rather see iMac Portable than iMacbook.

hldan
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2006, 03:07 PM

Amazing, all the opinions here. MacBook Pro may sound corny but only to existing PowerBook users.
MacBook Pro is really a cool name! It's just new and as I mentioned only real users of PowerBooks are really gonna be affected by the new name. I thought the Mac mini was silly but it's been well accepted because it's never been called anything else.
We have enjoyed the PowerBook name for many years which is why everyone is so attached to it. 2 years from now MacBook Pro will be a household name and Powerbook will sound like old school.

I can't speak for everyone here but these names never had flare to me but look how big the name has become.

iPod (thought it was a boring name, look at it now)
iMac (thought it would never take off, it's a household name, even your grandmother knows what an iMac is)
Names take time to grow and if this were Apple's first notebook computer the MacBook Pro name would sound cool to everyone. Anyone declined to agree, your just kidding yourself and you are not open to change.
Apple seems to know what they are doing, besides the Macintosh Performa they haven't turned out a loser Machine by any name.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

jwoods
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2006, 11:03 PM

Lisa?
Newton?
Apple III?
Puck mouse?

It seems they've had a few losers over the years.

hldan
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2006, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by jwoods
Lisa?
Newton?
Apple III?
Puck mouse?

It seems they've had a few losers over the years.

Okay, if you wanna get that technical about it, I meant they haven't turned out a loser machine with a crazy name since Steve Jobs re-joined Apple.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

mikochu
Forum Regular
Feb 7, 2006, 11:20 AM

If you googled for "MacBook Pro" or something right after the keynote, your first result is a forum thread. The thread poster called the PowerBook a MacBook by mistake and everyone was giving him crap about it. It was pretty funny to read.
Michael Reyes | www.mikochu.com | Power Mac G5 DC 2.3ghz, 2.5gb RAM, 320/250gb HD, Dual Sceptre 20" LCDs | MacBook Pro 2.0ghz, 2gb RAM, 80gb HD, 15.2" LCD, booq Vyper M2 sleeve, OGIO No Drag | iPhone 3G 16gb | iPod 60gb (5g), iPod2Car in the car | iPod 20gb (4g) in an iHome in the bathroom :)

t_hah
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2006, 01:13 PM

The "MacBook" name does not sound very good in Hungarian. The "MacBook" pronounced in Hungarian pretty much sounds like "failure".
There was a TV show where they talked about some MacBook Pro news, and even the guy mentioned a few times that he hoped that it would not "fail" as its name says so...

I am getting used to it otherwise. Do you guys know anyone who is selling "PowerBook" stickers to put over the MacBook pro name? :-P

christ
Professional Poster
Feb 8, 2006, 07:07 PM

Regardless of whether I like the name, I'm pleased that the questions asked in this thread have been answered by Steve Jobs himself.

Even he thinks that Macs should have 'mac' in their title. It only took this long for it to finally filter through.
Chris. T.

"... in 6 months if WMD are found, I hope all clear-thinking people who opposed the war will say "You're right, we were wrong -- good job". Similarly, if after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say the same thing -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush." - moki, 04/16/03

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2006, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by christ
Even he thinks that Macs should have 'mac' in their title. It only took this long for it to finally filter through.
Uh... iMac

christ
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2006, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Dale Sorel
Uh... iMac
Uh ... Powerbook?

I must have missed your point.
Chris. T.

"... in 6 months if WMD are found, I hope all clear-thinking people who opposed the war will say "You're right, we were wrong -- good job". Similarly, if after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say the same thing -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush." - moki, 04/16/03

terigox
Forum Regular
Feb 9, 2006, 11:04 AM

It's just something new... generally people don't "accpet" new things quite as much.

Legacy: practice makes perfect

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2006, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by christ
Uh ... Powerbook?

I must have missed your point.
My point was simply that Apple has used the term Mac in their products names for some time. But I see your point about the naming of their laptops, which is the topic of this thread after all

Forum Links
Forum Rules