Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Please help: should this RAM be compatible with my PowerMac?

Please help: should this RAM be compatible with my PowerMac?
Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2008, 08:27 PM

Hi all,

I just got some RAM for my PowerMac through Ramseeker (should be no thinking necessary right?). I have this mac: http://www.apple-history.com/?page=g...der=ASC&range= (the 2x2.5), and it brought me to this page:
http://www.18004memory.com/focus.asp...C53997B6486887
Which I guess is supposed to be for this mac:
http://www.apple-history.com/?page=g...der=ASC&range=
I thought it would work, since ramseeker said so and since the models hadn't changed much, but when I got the RAM, it physically didn't/doesn't fit. The little gap is like 2 mm off.

So, what went wrong, did I order the wrong part or did 18004memory send the wrong part? What spec tells me which shape RAM to get, and what variety do I need for my mac?

Thanks!

reader50
Administrator
Dec 13, 2008, 09:05 PM

You may have chosen from the wrong column at RamSeeker. They sent the RAM you ordered from that page, and yes, it's the wrong type for your G5. It will not work even if you forced it in, and you are likely to damage the G5 and/or the RAM by trying.

You need DDR PC3200 (400 MHz).
Your order was for DDR2 PC4200 (533 MHz).

The earlier G5 PowerMacs mostly used the type you need. It was only the late dual-core G5s that switched to DDR2.

It might help if you posted your Hardware Overview from System Profiler, so we could doublecheck the RAM type.

Uncle Skeleton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2008, 09:51 PM

I don't see any hardware overview in System Profiler, but my current RAM is DDR SDRAM PC3200. Also it's a 2x2.5 GHz (single core), and best I can tell there was only ever one of those, the one I linked above.

I checked RamSeeker again, and I think it is their error. You can check me (please do), choose Power Mac G5 PC3200 DDR Kit, then see the cheapest 2GB option for $39, it's the one I bought and it's wrong. I also notice that the PC4200 is labeled DDR not DDR2 on RamSeeker (I think that difference would have clued me in, as I already knew those were incompatible). Anyway, I'll call the vendor and try to get a replacement...

reader50
Administrator
Dec 13, 2008, 10:09 PM

In Apple System Profiler, click on the "Hardware" category at the top. That gives the overview.

I checked the Ramseeker page for Power Mac G5 (PC3200 DDR) KIT. You're right, it maps to the wrong page at 18004memory. It should have mapped to either here or here.

Uncle Skeleton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2008, 02:32 PM

Thanks for the help.

The hardware overview doesn't say much about RAM. Is this the info you asked for? If so I'm curious to know what it reveals. Otherwise, maybe the 10.5 version shows more (I'm on 10.4.11).

" Machine Name: Power Mac G5
Machine Model: PowerMac7,3
CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (3.0)
Number Of CPUs: 2
CPU Speed: 2.5 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 1.5 GB
Bus Speed: 1.25 GHz
Boot ROM Version: 5.1.8f7"

reader50
Administrator
Dec 14, 2008, 03:43 PM

The info allowed me to check my copy of Mactracker for all the G5 models. Between the model designation "PowerMac7,3" and the CPU configuration, it confirmed a positive ID: PowerMac G5 (June 2004), along with the RAM type: DDR PC3200, 184 pin.

Forum Links
Forum Rules