Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The Switch

The Switch
OzzysCross101
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2006, 04:37 PM

AHHH!- this is urgent- I have less time than I thought!!

Ever since I made the Switch, I've been switching people left and right from PC to Mac. It's been a great experience- for both parties. I've got a lot of people's eyes opened.

One of my good friends has a Dell from 2001 ( ) and he's been really envious of me and my Mac. So I agreed to help him Switch. Problem is, he's only 15, and his mom said she was getting a corporate discount for another Dell [this time a laptop] and now we desperately need to make tracks and get her convinced that just going by up- front cost and discounts aren't going to assure you a good, reliable system.

So I made a Keynote (it's summer, I have alot of free time- and I love Keynote )- explaining the many advantages of making the move, but it hasn't been going according to my liking. What I'm doing is debunking any myths that cloud the Mac OS, and showing the superior benefits the Mac offers for any of their needs. Any other suggestions or comments? Am I crazy for doing this? Please tell me if I am. Thanks.

Stratus Wrong
Baninated
Jul 22, 2006, 04:39 PM

Dude.... quit it. Seriously. Let stupid people remain stupid. Trying to convert people is dumb. Just have your opinion if anybody asks, but stop the crusading.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 22, 2006, 04:45 PM

Don't listen to Rob - he's one of those who remain stupid.

Stupid people will remain stupid no matter what you do.

People won't switch unless they see good reason to.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 22, 2006, 05:00 PM

Use one of http://systemshootouts.com/ comparisons to show what is included with a Mac vs a Dell, and then add how much it would cost to add the same software to a Dell.

This is a complete straw-man if your friend wouldn't use all of the included software, but it may help sway her.

OzzysCross101  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2006, 06:32 PM

That's what I was thinking of doing. I'll have to find out what Dell she's looking to get first- but that's not my job- if my friend wants a Mac so bad, he should at least give me a hand!

To be fair, I can say I have converted people, but there are still people I failed to convert for various, unjustifiable reasons- but whatever. I'm not on a crusade, I've just been so accustomed to everything "just working" on Mac, and my friends have been noticing it; the hard part is the actual convincing. After that it's all quick and painless (at least that's what I've found). Also, I'm sick and tired of the constant drone about why their Windows boxes are slowing down, ridden with adware, and if I can help them with this and that, stuff that should be easy or is easy on a Mac- but isn't on a PC.

Stratus Wrong
Baninated
Jul 22, 2006, 06:39 PM

You know what you'll get instead of virus complaints?

"Why can't I play games on pogo.com! How come it says that I need windows media player streaming but windows doesn't offer one for mac how come I can't do all this stupid bullshit on the internet like I could with a windows machine"

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2006, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Stratus Wrong

"Why can't I play games on pogo.com! How come it says that I need windows media player streaming but windows doesn't offer one for mac how come I can't do all this stupid bullshit on the internet like I could with a windows machine"
As long as he is upfront and honest... and gives realistic expectations... that won't happen.

P.S. We also have this thing called Bootcamp... if they simply hate OS X. I've found that to be the best at easing some of the anxiety over the purchase.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2006, 07:08 PM

and you care soooo much, why?

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 22, 2006, 07:12 PM

Are you a mac user? From what I can tell, it sounds like you don't like macs very much
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 22, 2006, 07:34 PM

what're ya, new here?

he doesnt much like anything very much.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 22, 2006, 07:47 PM

So then he can put Parallels on his MacBook and run Windows when he needs to. The best part is that he can keep 2 Windows disk images. When one gets the inevitable viruses, spyware, and trojans, he can just chuck it in the trash and use another one in a few seconds.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Stratus Wrong
Baninated
Jul 22, 2006, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Velocity211
Are you a mac user? From what I can tell, it sounds like you don't like macs very much
Yep. But my mom and my grandmother both switched FROM mac to a $500 PC so they could play all their bullshit pogo.com games and solitaire crap. Guess who refuses to help them with any tech support? Me.

Windows sucks. I hate working with it so much, it just makes me mad when troubleshooting. Hence why I like macs. Not everything on the net works with them, but I don't ahve to really 'troubleshoot' much.

Stratus Wrong
Baninated
Jul 22, 2006, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by CMYKid
what're ya, new here?

he doesnt much like anything very much.
I like lotsa stuff.

Girls, skiing, booze, cars, design, history, books, libraries, videogames, gta, neons, subarus, musclecars, modifying anything, industrial design, ... list goes on and on.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2006, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
Don't listen to Rob - he's one of those who remain stupid.
Wow, that line made me laugh...
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

OzzysCross101  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2006, 10:41 PM

Well luckily, my friend is fairly smart and plays his games on a console- computers were made to do other stuff on. He knows that there are going to be some sites built on Microsoft "standards", making them incompatible with Safari and Fierefox and such, but his desire to get a Mac surpasses all that, so I'm going to help him as much as I can, and give him straight facts about what to expect in a world that has shunned the Mac platform for too long.

While we're on the subject of Windows Media Player, there still is Windows Media Player 9 for Mac if you wanted it, and Flip4Mac which is now a free plugin for QuickTime, so unless I'm mistaken, wouldn't they still be able to play on this pogo.com?

The tech support for Windows is what I'm trying to get out of. Everyone who I know who is on a Mac has only asked me stuff when starting out using OS X for the first time. After that, it's been relatively silent except for the questions of whether I have a certain piece of software (eg. CS2, iWork, Office) and how to work them. But from the PC side, it's these constant questions about the most simple tasks, and even after I tell them once, chances run high that I'll hear the same one again in a week or so.

So to me, I feel that the best way for these people- who mostly browse the internet, manage photos, listen to music, email, and do school stuff- is to move to Mac and find out that they could be doing a lot more. Most of them do. Most of them actually have done more on OS X thanks to its ease of use and software like iLife iWork. And, as you said, if they didn't like it, they could always run Boot Camp of Parallels (or whatever is in Leopard) or just take it back if they hated it that much.

CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 23, 2006, 04:49 PM

Yep. But my mom and my grandmother both switched FROM mac to a $500 PC so they could play all their bullshit pogo.com games and solitaire crap. Guess who refuses to help them with any tech support? Me.
yeeeah.

"i refuse to help my elderly family members because they use a pc for something they cant do on my preferred platform"=winner.

d0uchebag.

Forum Links
Forum Rules