Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > New iBook and problems with Airport Connections

New iBook and problems with Airport Connections
moofman
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 9, 2005, 05:55 PM

I just got a brand new iBook during Christmas break and dad had the old Airport lying around so I hooked it up. It didn't work too well, but I figured I'd just wait until I got back to my apartment, because dad's DSL supplier had been having some trouble in our area recently. However, I've had trouble connecting to both of the networks that I've had access to recently. My friend has a linksys wireless router, so I think that's what's causing the problems there, but my airport base station is still giving me problems. Basically, if my computer disconnects (I take it out of the range, it goes to sleep, etc.) it's a pain to get it to reconnect. No matter what I do, I open the computer and nothing connects. I try a few times, switching between networks in my apartment complex (there's usually one that I can always connect to, but even now that's not working), then switch back to mine. Restart the airport, switch around again. Eventually, everything will suddenly start working, but it's usually only after the computer pops up a notice saying that the PPPoE connection could not be made. The PPPoE connection was for my network when I was at home over Christmas, but I've changed the settings on both the airport base station and the computer. So I don't know why it's still trying to connect via PPPoE, but after it says that's failed, it will eventually let me load web pages after a few failed tries. This is also a problem I was having with my dad's computer when trying to connect via Airport on occasion, but not every single time, like on the iBook.

I've heard about old Base Stations failing. Is this a sign of it? Or is it something computer side, since I'm having trouble on other networks, too?

Sorry if this topic's been covered before, but I can't figure out what's causing it, so I don't know what to search for.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 9, 2005, 11:24 PM

1) Why do you assume that the Linksys router is the reason you can't connect with it, when you have problems everywhere?

2) Delete ALL your network locations. All of them. Turn OFF your computer. Get a cup of coffee. Turn on your computer. Now follow the instructions in the Mac help for setting up your Airport card. Now plug into your AirPort Base Station (it's NEVER a good idea to try configuring a wireless base over wireless; too many glitch points to trust the link!) and set it up to connect with your Internet connection-again following the instructions in the Mac help.

3) It's possible that all the networks in your apartment building are secured in one way or another. That's good.

4) The most likely symptom of an ABS failing is a particular pattern of its lights flashing. Not being able to connect to it when there's good evidence that your computer isn't properly configured in the first place is NOT a symptom of a failing ABS.

5) Find a neighbor who's got a wireless laptop and see if they can connect to your ABS with their computer. That will tell you whether or not your ABS works (I bet it does).

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2005, 11:04 PM

try reseating the airport card as well. it takes a few seconds and narrows down your search that much more.

Forum Links
Forum Rules