Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Horizontal Power Mac G5

Horizontal Power Mac G5
praxela
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2006, 10:34 AM

We have a PowerMac G5 that needs to be adjusted to fit a new desk. Is there going to be a problem with laying it down on it's side and putting a scanner on top of it? I just want to be sure, this thing sure seems touchy!

Thanks.

Chris_here
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2006, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Reducer
We have a PowerMac G5 that needs to be adjusted to fit a new desk. Is there going to be a problem with laying it down on it's side and putting a scanner on top of it? I just want to be sure, this thing sure seems touchy!

Thanks.
If it's a liquid cooled quad, a 2.5 or a 2.7 I don't think it's a good idea to do it that way but I'm not sure, maybe it won't leak, maybe it will. I guess you can't burn, play, insert any cd's/dvd's anymore unless you'd glue it to the tray.

praxela  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2006, 12:44 PM

Thanks for the advice!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 29, 2006, 01:10 PM

The liquid cooling system shouldn't have any problems, since it's pump-driven instead of phase-change.
The optical drive trays usually have little tabs in the corners of the tray so they can be used while on their side.

Enjoy!

praxela  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2006, 01:17 PM

Thank you as well! We'll probably keep it vertical.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2006, 01:34 PM

If it's liquid cooled and the cooling system leaks (which is highly unlikely) the coolant will go all over your logic board instead if the bottom of the case, depending on which side it's laying on.

Be careful with discs in the SuperDrive with it horizontal. It's definitely possible since my PS2 can stand vertical and read discs just fine. The last PC I had, however, chewed up a disc because I turned on the machine with it laying sideways.

Forum Links
Forum Rules