Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Formating found G4

Formating found G4
zanian
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2009, 03:20 PM

Hey guys,
I never owned a mac before. i have run PCs for a long time and run Linux on my laptop. Anyway, I found a G4 in the dump where I work and it seems to be fully in tact(I work for a pretty rich town, it would be no surprise if it actually worked) and I wanted to format the thing. Anyway, I've been searching around and after getting a hold of some OSX 10.4 disks, I tried to start the disk utility by holding "c" when starting up. However, when I do so, the computer hangs for a while, spits it out and then starts normally. I tried inserting a Linux LIve Cd to see if it would run and the same thing happens. I was suspicious it was some authentic disk crap or something, but after the LInux disk, I am not sure. I would mess around with the thing, but I do not know the password so, I ask:
1) Is there a reason why the Disk Utility won't start?
2) Can I format some other way?
3) Anyway I can SSH into it or so without logging on?
4) Any password crackers or something?

Thanks in advance.

patrix
Jun 28, 2009, 03:35 PM

Make sure the OS X (either Generic OS X or the OS X disks for the model you have) and Linux disks you have are PPC , not INtel.. And the OS X installation disk (which contain Disk Utility among other things ) have a password reset utility

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2009, 04:14 PM

Try starting with the Option key instead of the "C" key to boot from the disc. If even this doesn't work, well, that might be the reason the machine was in the dump.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

zanian  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2009, 09:30 PM

yeah thanks guys. I'm guessing it's the cdrom drive. The laptop was actually found by a friend that I work with, I was just helping him out. He says he's going to take it into apple (I don't know if that's the best move, but anyway, he wants to). Thanks for the help guys.

Forum Links
Forum Rules