Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Sync "Stickies" between Macs?

Sync "Stickies" between Macs?
carterx
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 19, 2009, 11:40 PM

Anyone have any idea if it's possible to sync "Stickies" with more than one computer?

I ask this because in the run of a day I use 3 main computers (Home Desktop, work Laptop & Desktop) and I use Stickies all the time but I think it would be great if they could sync with each other.

Something similar to XMarks that I use for my bookmarks. Whatever computer I'm at, my bookmarks stay the same and sync.

Or ...... anyone have an idea how I can change the default location that Stickies saves it's database to which is located at ~/Library -- "StickiesDatabase"

Perhaps if I can change the default location I can use DropBox as my storage location for the database.

Thanks,

DarkStarRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 20, 2009, 03:50 AM

If & I assume your using Leopard you can easily sync via MobileMe if you subscribe to it, just check the "Stickies box" in System Preferences>MobileMe>Sync.
You'll have to set this up on each of the Mac's you have to ensure proper syncing... clicking on Advance will how the computers your syncing to.

Now if your using Tiger I'm unsure about this (can't remember) Evernote maybe your best bet & I can't recall what Automated tasks assigned to Stickies on Tiger that can be worked to Dropbox?
Anyway Dropbox can sync any files from folders you've selected so the link below for the App StickiesSync will help Download StickiesSync 1.0 - Designed to sync Stickies across multiple Macs. - Softpedia

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 20, 2009, 07:19 AM

Forget Stickies.

Get Evernote, and be happy ever after.

-t

carterx  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 20, 2009, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Forget Stickies.

Get Evernote, and be happy ever after.

-t
I did look at this but then ran into the issue of not being able to post links into the note unless I upgraded the account.

Originally Posted by DarkStarRed View Post
Dropbox can sync any files from folders you've selected so the link below for the App StickiesSync will help Download StickiesSync 1.0 - Designed to sync Stickies across multiple Macs. - Softpedia
Thanks for this link, I installed it on two computers here at work to test and works beautifully. Tks !!
I'll have to add this to my site as a must have app .... oh, and I'm running the latest version of Leopard so it does work with 10.5.8
( Last edited by carterx; Aug 20, 2009 at 03:33 PM. )

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 20, 2009, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by carterx View Post
I did look at this but then ran into the issue of not being able to post links into the note unless I upgraded the account. So will try the Stickies Sync
What version of Evernote was that ?

According to their website, these are the differences between the Standard and Premium accounts:

http://www.evernote.com/about/premium/

No difference mentioned regarding web links.

-t

carterx  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 20, 2009, 03:42 PM

Odd, ya it should have worked according to that page.

I had dragged links from the browser and had 5 web links then the next would not allow me to add it. Oh well, the stickies sync works for me. For the moment EverNote is great but stickies is clean and simple and does the job

Thanks for the tip though "turtle777"

Forum Links
Forum Rules