Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Installing Tiger on ibook 366

Installing Tiger on ibook 366
rubydog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2011, 11:13 AM

Hello,

I have an indigo ibook 366mHz, 320 mb, OS 10.2.8 that I would like to use to stream ballgames via mlb.com Game Day Audio. Problem is, I can't even get Safari (v1.0.3) to work. It says my homepage cannot be found. This is the maximum Safari that Jaguar will run. I have a Tiger retail dvd that I've been trying all morning to install simply for the purpose of getting a more robust Safari. I've been attempting the install via Firewire Target Disk mode using my intel imac but the 2 machines won't acknowledge each others existence.

Can an intel talk to a ppc in this manner? Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
Assuming a successful installation, will this ibook even handle the streaming?

Big thanks, Steve

ChrisF
Senior User
Feb 27, 2011, 01:12 PM

You can't install from an Intel mac to a PowerPC iBook like that. You may be able to put the disc in the Intel Mac and put that into target mode connecting it to the iBook, and that should cause the install disc to appear on the iBook. If so, you should be able to install that way.

rubydog  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2011, 04:25 PM

Thanks Chris,

That worked perfectly; 10.4 is fully loaded on the ibook.

But...

Now I get no airport signal at all. No bars for airport, no response with the ethernet cable hooked up. I wonder if all that was wrong before was a failing airport card. I'll poke around some more tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks again, Steve

freudling
Banned
Feb 27, 2011, 11:25 PM

Strange with the Internet. Couldn't be an Airport problem really if it doesn't work plugged in either, assuming Airport worked before. I know that 10.2.8 or later is required for there to be working Airport. Anything before that and you won't get an Airport signal.

At this point, sounds like a router set up problem.

This may help:

Problem getting an iBook with Tiger to connect to an ethernet broadband router - help please

rubydog  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2011, 12:03 AM

That was a good article, my exact problem. Thank you.

I doubt it is a router problem. Adjacent to my desk is the dsl modem and a wireless router (which we got to serve my wife's computer downstairs). I usually run my imac wireless just to have one fewer cable in the mix but this morning I hooked up a cable to the imac, shut off airport, and got a blazing connection. I simply removed the cable from the imac and plugged it into the ibook. Nothing. I removed the cable and turned airport on in both machines. Same deal: speedy imac with 4 bars, zero ibook. I ran the network setup assistant and it showed red lights for both airport and built in ethernet connections

The article convinced me that the Tiger install means I need to enter some ip address settings, though I've never had to do this in the past. I'll poke around tomorrow evening.

Many thanks. Goodnight! Steve

freudling
Banned
Feb 28, 2011, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by rubydog View Post
That was a good article, my exact problem. Thank you.

I doubt it is a router problem. Adjacent to my desk is the dsl modem and a wireless router (which we got to serve my wife's computer downstairs). I usually run my imac wireless just to have one fewer cable in the mix but this morning I hooked up a cable to the imac, shut off airport, and got a blazing connection. I simply removed the cable from the imac and plugged it into the ibook. Nothing. I removed the cable and turned airport on in both machines. Same deal: speedy imac with 4 bars, zero ibook. I ran the network setup assistant and it showed red lights for both airport and built in ethernet connections

The article convinced me that the Tiger install means I need to enter some ip address settings, though I've never had to do this in the past. I'll poke around tomorrow evening.

Many thanks. Goodnight! Steve
Ok. Please do post back and let us know what happened.

Forum Links
Forum Rules