Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Is there a way to open & close applications on schedule automatically?

Is there a way to open & close applications on schedule automatically?
macboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 27, 2006, 08:27 AM

I tried looking for this, but couldn't find an answer anywhere.

I have a weird problem where I am right now - bandwidth capping! Im only allowed to download and upload "unlimited" stuff after 11 in the night till 8 in the morning.

What I want to do is do all my (legal) uploading and some downloading at that time. I have everything set on que on iGetter, it just needs to somehow start automatically at 11pm and do its thing, shut itself at 8am the following morning or else i'll have to end paying for the entire night of data transfer.

Is this even possible? I thought Automator or iCal could do this, but they can only LAUNCH apps at a given time, no way of shutting them.

Anyone..?

Macola
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2006, 09:40 AM

Not quite the same thing, but you could set the Mac to log out after x minutes of inactivity (presumably after your downloads are done). This is in the Energy Saver prefs.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

macboy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 27, 2006, 09:45 AM

thanks Macola, thats a good temporary solution till I find a more automated one.

But thanks this will work for now

Anyone else?

DrBoar
Senior User
Sep 27, 2006, 10:34 AM

That is a weak pint in automator, "services" in Win XP works to start and stop stuff like fold@home.

Logging out does not quit the app at all and putting it to sleep will just pause the app not quit it. In your case the app will be inactive and that ought to save the bacon.

In Energy Saver there is a option "schedule" (or something of that kind) there you can set the computer to turn on and of at set times, but that turn of the computer not just the app.

Tsilou B.
Senior User
Sep 27, 2006, 10:34 AM

If you can launch apps at specific times, then you could write an AppleScript with the following line:

tell application "iGetter" to quit

and save that as an application. Then have that application launch at 8 am.
You should check if the AppleScript really works - maybe iGetter displays a dialog and asks if it should really quit or something. In that case, you would need a more advanced AppleScript.

macboy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 27, 2006, 10:48 AM

Tried using Applescript with some help from macosxhints.com, just keep getting error dialogs and nothing happens.

DrBoar, Im going to try right now and see if logging out pauses or quits the application. Either way, if it does either one of them, Im set. I Just hope it works.

Was hoping Automater would be ideal for this kind of thing. Never used it, but " Automater" should be the thing to use

hemant
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2006, 10:53 AM

You could use the UNIX command "crontab" to schedule applications to run at specific times. You could even schedule a sleep or shutdown after performing your uploading & downloading. The following tutorial is a good starting point:

http://www.adminschoice.com/docs/crontab.htm

Forum Links
Forum Rules