Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > First impressions of MacOS X Tiger

First impressions of MacOS X Tiger
RussianTiger
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2005, 08:20 AM

1. Much faster core.
2. Everything works sleek
3. Automator rulez!
4. Dashboard, almost a second computer
5. QuickTime drives me crazy, really cool real-time zooming and h.264 makes picture looks really amazing, but it eat more cpu time.
6. System Profiler, really nice job, all information that you need to know.
7. Still have a problem with Audio Core, Input level is still a problem.
8. If you connected to internet via GPRS using Bluetooth and send file to your phone at the same time, the show time connected on the top of menu is getting 00:00:00
9. PowerBook going to sleep without warning, still a problem.
10. Spotlight is bright thing that makes me forget about #7, #8, #9 problems
11. I didn�t use Apple Mail before Tiger, I used Entourage, now it�s time to switch, all I needed now it has.
12. By the way indexing was really fast, and it�s even support Unicode.
13. I have never seen the operation system that works so sleek, I think Apple have done a great job!
14. I didn�t mention a lot of things, because I�m still getting to know it, but you really have to get it!

P.S. To people who was talking about bugs in Spotlight, you probably terminated indexing, Tiger search everywhere.

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 26, 2005, 08:23 AM

You didnt see the other posts on this subject then?
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 26, 2005, 08:23 AM

Uhh, how did you get your Tiger so early?

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

RussianTiger  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2005, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Grrr
You didnt see the other posts on this subject then?
I didn't look all of them, but when people saying that it doesn't look on more than one partition, that's makes me think that they don't know what they are talking about.

RussianTiger  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2005, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Randman
Uhh, how did you get your Tiger so early?
I'm developer

Oneota
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2005, 08:31 AM

So am I. I just checked; it hasn't been seeded to us yet. Naughty, naughty!
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

OreoCookie
Apr 26, 2005, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Oneota
So am I. I just checked; it hasn't been seeded to us yet. Naughty, naughty!
There are different kinds of developers. My university has a subscription as developer and they received the gm already.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 26, 2005, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie
There are different kinds of developers. My university has a subscription as developer and they received the gm already.
Getting one is one thing, posting about it is another. I stopped by the Apple store near my place and one of the guys had it on a PB. Let me play around with it for about 10 minutes as the store wasn't very busy.

bbales
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2005, 09:26 AM

[[11. I didn�t use Apple Mail before Tiger, I used Entourage, now it�s time to switch, all I needed now it has. ]]

I'm in the same spot -- currently using Entourage but looking to move to Mail, when Tiger arrives. What are the improvements in the Mail program? Thanks.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 26, 2005, 09:28 AM

Auto ISP Setup
Take advantage of new features that allow ISPs to create custom installers that automate the setup of email accounts.
Customized Compose Options
Visually customize which email elements � such as To:, CC: and Bcc: � should appear when you compose a new message.
HTML Message Composition
Mail uses the Safari engine to format newly composed email.
iCal Invitations in Mail
Automatically send iCal invitations to Mail.
.Mac Email Alias Support
Access email aliases defined for your .Mac account in the Mail application.
Mail and iPhoto Integration
Add photos you receive in email directly to iPhoto with a single click.
Mail Connection Doctor
Diagnose and fix networking issues directly from Mail with this powerful troubleshooting tool.
Mail Controls for Parents
Create an email-safe list for kids.
Mail Server Quota Management
Display information about the amount of mail server storage used/available on compatible email servers.
Message Priorities
View and set email message priorities and use these priorities for mail rules and Smart Mailboxes, too.
New Mail User Interface
Enjoy a more attractive layout for mailboxes, searches, and more.
NTLM v2 Authentication
Enjoy greater compatibility with a wide range of Microsoft Exchange email server configurations.
Per-account signatures
Use different email signatures for each mail account � like something fun for a personal account vs. serious for a business account.
Photo Controls in Mail
Resize photos before they are sent � Mail can tell you when a picture is too large for your ISP.
Slideshow in Mail
View a full-screen slideshow of pictures that have been attached to an email with a single click.
Smart Mailboxes
Organize your email to match the way you work using Smart Mailboxes that automatically fill themselves with email based on your criteria.
Spell Check Options
Set Mail to spell check your email before it is sent, as you type or never.
Spotlight Search in Mail
Search across even the largest mailbox or multiple mailboxes with pinpoint accuracy using the power of Spotlight.
.Mac Sync for Mail Settings
Keep your Mail accounts, signatures, rules and Spotlight-driven Smart Mailboxes fully in sync between different Macs.

RussianTiger  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2005, 09:50 AM

Apple finally wrote iSync Agent for Symbian phone like P800 and it even works sometimes
I wish they have done more stable connection scripts for SE phone.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 26, 2005, 09:56 AM

I have had the chance to use Tiger a few times now, and I have not looked forward to an upgrade this much since OS 8.

Pinstripes, which I did not like at all, are now virtually gone from the GUI. The glossy menubar is nice and pleasing to look at.
The unresponsiveness of the GUI has been resolved. I can confidently say that it is "snappy". No more choppy scrolling and resizing.
Safari was begining to age a bit under Panther, but now it is once again the fastest browser for the Mac.
Mail is excellent, as many people have mentioned in other threads. I am glad that Apple finally got rid of the hated drawer.

With Tiger, Apple have finally sorted out all the major issues with the OS X GUI, and the result is a highly polished operating system. It does not feel like a ballon d'essai like the previous releases have.
( Last edited by Kerrigan; Apr 26, 2005 at 10:09 AM. )

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 26, 2005, 10:16 AM

Where is the auto ISP setup? Still haven't found it yet. Is it a script somewhere?
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

OreoCookie
Apr 26, 2005, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Randman
Getting one is one thing, posting about it is another. I stopped by the Apple store near my place and one of the guys had it on a PB. Let me play around with it for about 10 minutes as the store wasn't very busy.
I'm fairly familiar with Tiger.

My comment was just that Oneota inferred that RussianTiger's copy is illegal doesn't have to be true.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

wtmcgee
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 26, 2005, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by RussianTiger
I'm developer
Hasn't been seeded to any of the devs yet...

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2005, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by wtmcgee
That's not entirely true. Some devs have been given access to 8A428.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2005, 11:09 AM

I just encountered Tiger's Network Diagnostics app - it pops up if you have networking problems. If has status 'lights' and a wizard-like interface to get to the bottom of your networking problems. Slick. I didn't even seem Apple mention this anywhere...

kemuri
Apr 26, 2005, 11:19 AM

Strange how non-metal Finder windows have a solid white background for the status-bar, yet other apps have stripes. I'm all for varying the GUI with different themes, but that's just taking the biscuit.

Agent69
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2005, 11:59 AM

Randman,

Does Tiger Mail support the standard Unix mail spools? (i.e. /var/mail/$user )
Agent69

RussianTiger  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2005, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by wtmcgee
Good artists copy, great artists steal.
--
Pablo Picasso

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Apr 27, 2005, 04:11 AM

Have you considered taking up poetry?

by the Russian Tiger

I didn�t use Apple Mail before Tiger
I used Entourage
now it�s time to switch
all I needed now it has

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

RussianTiger  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2005, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - -
Have you considered taking up poetry?

by the Russian Tiger

I didn�t use Apple Mail before Tiger
I used Entourage
now it�s time to switch
all I needed now it has
I�m not as good as David Pogue, he wrote a famous song Microsoft Christmas!
P.S. Few years ago I was even hosting this song on the web site as a background music and Jobs and Pogue was laughing about it.

passmaster16
Senior User
Apr 27, 2005, 01:10 PM

In regard to Mail in 10.4, how does it handle sending attachments to Windows users? Quite frequently I send Word docs to Windows users. In previous versions of Mail, it would include the resource fork so if a Windows user would receive my attachment, there would be two instances of the file with one being the actual file and the other being the resource fork. This can be confusing to some users. So I've always used Entourage because it gives the option to specify what type of format to send it and strip the resource fork. Does anybody know if 10.4 Mail removes these resource forks?

RussianTiger  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2005, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by passmaster16
In regard to Mail in 10.4, how does it handle sending attachments to Windows users? Quite frequently I send Word docs to Windows users. In previous versions of Mail, it would include the resource fork so if a Windows user would receive my attachment, there would be two instances of the file with one being the actual file and the other being the resource fork. This can be confusing to some users. So I've always used Entourage because it gives the option to specify what type of format to send it and strip the resource fork. Does anybody know if 10.4 Mail removes these resource forks?
There is a serious bug with encoding, win1251 is not supported correctly, when you send a message the message come wihtout body, didn't try with attachments, but after that I decide that it's too early to use it, Apple need release update in the April 29'th otherwise it's will be the biggest crush, i'm not even talking about top icons on on the menu and other 200 new bugs.

barbarian
Senior User
Apr 27, 2005, 05:49 PM

Random notes... this is with and education copy which I think is identical to the others... same build number.

1. it doesn't "feel" like a major upgrade as most major elements are basically the same.

2. Spotlight takes a long time to create the index if you have lots of data (I have 2 terabytes, much of it text) and it's been churning for almost 30 hours. 8 hours remain on a 250gig drive. The status on a 200 gig drive has read "calculating time" for the full 30 hours. [note initally the message said you can't use spotlight until the index is built, but once the internal index was finished the external drives/status bars showed up. the externals have been indexing one at a time).

Spotlight pretty much works as advertised, but it isn't instant. 30 seconds for a search on my G5 with all the drives attached. Quicker on my ibook with much less data. The ibook took 8 hours to index.

3. Dashboard is really cool, but almost everything it does I would rather do with menu widgets. After my initial futzing, I've used it exactly once.

4. Tiger is not good about warning you if disk space is running out. I was getting down to almost nothing without warning until it was almost too late. This happened while importing mail/creating the index. I was madly deleting files to keep up.

5. Mail crashes if you move the mail folder (the one in the library with the actual mail) to another drive and replace it with an alias.

6. Mail seems unfinished. lots of rough edges. Otherwise quite an improvement over old mail. I probably will still use entourage but will use mail only via spotlight to search through my archives to search for old files/email. Entourage is not spotlight savvy.

7. MS apps crash fairly badly unless they are up to date. After updating no problems.

8. On my ibook I initially could not log in (about 1/2 the keys were disabled), but a safe boot fixed that.

9. On the ibook twice after going to sleep the machine was woken to a churning disk and dashboard eating up a huge amount of the cpu. Solved by rebooting and never fully sleeping.

10 there isn't any easy way to kill dashboard.

11. so far all my hardware works

12. tiger fixed a bad iphoto bug that was crashing on import every time.

13. iphoto still crashes on quitting sometimes.

14. Open/Close dialog boxes have gone screwy a couple of times, no highlighting certain hard drives, the selection bouncing all around. Not showing contents of HDs....

15. Mail has had some major cosmetic issues (progress bars full of garbage when mail is in the background)

16. Tiger supports my 3rd party internal DVD player (pioneer) (panther did not).

17. I don't notice a speed difference on either the G5 or ibook, but in general things feel solid, fluid. More real world tests later. But things that matter like scrolling are about the same.

18. I wish there was a contextual menu for thesaurus instead of just dictionary.... (you can access the thesaurus via the dictionary but it's an extra step I would rather avoid).

19. jpg previews in the finder are much faster.

20. the finder in general is smoother, less churning.... but it's still the same old crappy X finder (when are they going to get rid pref to calculate folder size and just do it by default).

21. There seems to be no simple way to add a folder to the spotlight index...

22. My iphoto tags aren't showing up (my photoshop tags are). perhaps this is because my library is on an external drive, but this is very disappointing.

23. Interface when running a bunch of apps is a mishmosh of metal/tiger style and old style.

14. I don't "get" safari's treatment of rss. I will stick with netnewswire which is just about perfect.

15. iphoto badly needs to fix the way photos are tagged with keywords. KA helps, but now with Spotlight the need to get is right is dire.

16. I'm happy to report that photoshop keywords are instantly reflected in spotlight after you add/update them. Again iphoto keywords even new ones are awol when the lib is on an external drive.

17. The blue safari look is frighteningly windows xpish.

Overall impression: Spotlight is a killer app and I'm sure it will only get better. This is basically all that matters. I was really disappointed the finder wasn't improved rethought, upgraded. I'm also sad that certain small things like having more thoughtful contextual menus, better font management, more control over appearance were left out in favor of dashboard (which is no big deal to me).

RogerR
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2005, 06:02 PM

I also send Word files to Windows users continuously as part of my business, and for the same reasons you describe, I used Entourage to send these attachments under 10.2. However, the version of Mail that came with Panther 10.3 eliminated this behavior, and I have been attaching Word files in Mail happily ever since. So, I'm not sure why you are still getting this behavior. What version of Mail do you have on your system?

toti
Apr 27, 2005, 06:17 PM

barbarian: kill the dock and you kill the dashboard at the same time.

passmaster16
Senior User
Apr 27, 2005, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by RogerR
I also send Word files to Windows users continuously as part of my business, and for the same reasons you describe, I used Entourage to send these attachments under 10.2. However, the version of Mail that came with Panther 10.3 eliminated this behavior, and I have been attaching Word files in Mail happily ever since. So, I'm not sure why you are still getting this behavior. What version of Mail do you have on your system?
Honestly I've never tried Mail in 10.3. I only tried it in 10.1 and 10.2. I was not aware that the behavior changed for 10.3. Maybe I will use Mail in 10.4 after all. Thanks.

alephOne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2005, 08:06 PM

Pinstripes, which I did not like at all, are now virtually gone from the GUI. The glossy menubar is nice and pleasing to look at.
Funny, because I notice pinstripes more in Tiger than I did in Panther. Mostly with inactive windows, though. They just seem more pronounced to me.

THE MAC GOD
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 27, 2005, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by barbarian
Random notes... this is with and education copy which I think is identical to the others... same build number.
So, what is the official build number of the final release from the final stamped versions from retail?

All as artificial as the Matrix itself, although only a human mind could invent something as insipid as Love.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 27, 2005, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by THE MAC GOD
So, what is the official build number of the final release from the final stamped versions from retail?
GAH! No more! No more!
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2005, 09:08 PM

How many times does this have to be asked before people will believe it? 8A428 is the GM. It is the build on the DVD you get with the retail Tiger. Period.

THE MAC GOD
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 27, 2005, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
GAH! No more! No more!
Sorry... looked around... also am tired of hearsay. So if you would like to help me instead of getting upset...

All as artificial as the Matrix itself, although only a human mind could invent something as insipid as Love.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2005, 09:19 PM

Sorry... looked around... also am tired of hearsay. So if you would like to help me instead of getting upset...
That's the problem. People have received their retail versions of Tiger and have said it is 8A428 as Piracy said it would be months ago. It's not heresay, it's a fact.

bradb28
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2005, 09:33 PM

is the Edu version exactly the same as the retail??

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 27, 2005, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by bradb28
is the Edu version exactly the same as the retail??
Of course.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2005, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa
That's the problem. People have received their retail versions of Tiger and have said it is 8A428 as Piracy said it would be months ago. It's not heresay, it's a fact.
Months? No...weeks, perhaps; days, more like it.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

bradb28
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2005, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by ManOfSteal
Of course.
Thanks, just wondering since i've seen others post that they have edu orders, and since i do too, i wanted to know if it made a difference.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2005, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Oneota
Months? No...weeks, perhaps; days, more like it.
Oops. OK, so it was April 5. 3 weeks ago, 22 days ago. Whatever. It's been known for some time was my point.

JLL
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2005, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by barbarian

1. it doesn't "feel" like a major upgrade as most major elements are basically the same.

2. Spotlight takes a long time to create the index if you have lots of data (I have 2 terabytes, much of it text)
We take 80-100,000 pictures every year, and we're not even close to 2 TB.

What on earth are you doing for a living? Downloading the internet?

No wonder it takes forever on your machine, and no wonder it takes a while to search that index. How fast is your Mac btw.?
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2005, 04:43 AM

Honestly I've never tried Mail in 10.3. I only tried it in 10.1 and 10.2. I was not aware that the behavior changed for 10.3. Maybe I will use Mail in 10.4 after all. Thanks.
Edit --> Attachments --> Always send Windows-compatible

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2005, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by JLL
We take 80-100,000 pictures every year, and we're not even close to 2 TB.

What on earth are you doing for a living? Downloading the internet?

No wonder it takes forever on your machine, and no wonder it takes a while to search that index. How fast is your Mac btw.?
Moreover, doesn't Spotlight only index your internal drives, and not, like, every DVD you own? How do you get 2 TB of hard disk in a Mac?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

GENERAL_SMILEY
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005, 05:34 AM

Presumably Spotlight indexes connected hard drives? Isn't this how it is indexing 2TB of media?

Can you force it to index networked drives as well? (Can you prevent it?)
I have Mac

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2005, 06:00 AM

Apple says it will index networked drives, which sounds problematic from a performance standpoint.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

barbarian
Senior User
Apr 28, 2005, 08:09 AM

>We take 80-100,000 pictures every year, and we're not even close to 2 TB.

I should clarify:

1rst TB = 250G Text/PDF/Word Files/Powerpoint 500G Images (I shoot RAW and use high res 16 bit tiff files which can be up to 100megs apiece). The last 250 is music + system + apps

2nd TB = 750 backup of of text and images, 250 for video...

I'm almost out of room and am about to add another 2 TB so I can be fully backed up and have room plenty of room for HD video which is what we've been moving into.
-----
The drives seem to get indexed when they are touched. My drives are all firewire, not networked, so I'm not sure how networked drives are handled as I have the Tiger machines isolated from the network.

You can prevent any directory or drive from being indexed in the Spotlight prefs. Otherwise there's not much control, although my guess is apps will come out in the near future that allow us to finetune things.

I think someone else asked about machines... I'm now running Tiger on a G5, and an ibook. These are my test cases. I'm going to see how it goes and if all is cool, I'll upgrade the other machines (several more G5s).

So far the verdict is that i love Spotlight but that Tiger is a little bit flakey to be running on my production machines. I've run into some more weird issues (jumbled menus, running drives that required reboots, etc) and am going to wait and see how it goes with the .1 update before upgrading anything else. Switching back to10.3.9, it feels more solid, but definately slower especially in the smoothness of the finder when dealing with lots of images.
( Last edited by barbarian; Apr 28, 2005 at 08:20 AM. )

gkorsgard
Apr 28, 2005, 09:22 PM

Anyone know where I can find new files using the codec in Quicktime 7?

legacyb4
Mac Elite
May 17, 2005, 09:51 AM

I have to say that the click-hold "Save to iPhoto" and the Slideshow feature built into Mail 2.0 is an absolutely great finishing touch for the end-user. Add on top of that the Expose-style index sheets for showing all photos and you have a feature which is pretty much guaranteed to be "introduced" into future versions of Office by Microsoft...
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

macintologist
Professional Poster
May 17, 2005, 12:06 PM

So I finally installed Tiger.

The weather widget is so silly! Right now it's 7:05pm and the sun is out and its perfectly light outside, yet my dashboard widget is purple and has a moon, as if its nighttime! It's not at all!

Silly dashboard.

yticolev
Forum Regular
May 17, 2005, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by macintologist
So I finally installed Tiger.

The weather widget is so silly! Right now it's 7:05pm and the sun is out and its perfectly light outside, yet my dashboard widget is purple and has a moon, as if its nighttime! It's not at all!

Silly dashboard.
You probably don't have either the widget set up for location or time/date correct. The widget changes as I watch it at sunset.

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2005, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by legacyb4
I have to say that the click-hold "Save to iPhoto" and the Slideshow feature built into Mail 2.0 is an absolutely great finishing touch for the end-user. Add on top of that the Expose-style index sheets for showing all photos and you have a feature which is pretty much guaranteed to be "introduced" into future versions of Office by Microsoft...
The option to add photos to iPhoto directly from the slideshow, and the accompanying animation, are nothing short of sensational.

Okay, maybe I'm just easily impressed. But the attention to detail in Tiger completely dumbfounds me time and time again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules