Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Quick help with Audacity - editing large wav

Quick help with Audacity - editing large wav
LisaJill
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2005, 11:38 PM

Greetings all,

I taped a concert tonight (legally ;p) and I taped it as one large .WAV. I need to edit this down to individual tracks.

Last time I did this I used Audacity, selected the part I wanted and split it into its own track. I was curious if this is the easiest way, or if there is a away to add "markers" to where to do the split and then let Audacity do the work... or if there's another program I can use that would ease this tedium.

Thank you for any help that you can provide. =)

Macola
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2005, 01:18 PM

You can try CD SpinDoctor (bundled with Toast). Its track editing features are easier to use than Audacity.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

Krypton
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2005, 05:49 PM

1. Import it into iTunes
2. 'Get Info', and set the start and finish time of the song to the desired portion
3. Select 'Convert selection to mp3/AAC' and bingo

LisaJill  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 27, 2005, 05:51 PM

Thank you, but I need to do this without converting it to a lossy format. I already did it in Audacity, though.

Converting to MP3 to do this was out of the question, though. Thank you for the suggestion, I'll remember that when I need to split MP3s, which does come up. =)

Thor
Forum Regular
Jun 29, 2005, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by LisaJill
Thank you, but I need to do this without converting it to a lossy format. I already did it in Audacity, though.

Converting to MP3 to do this was out of the question, though. Thank you for the suggestion, I'll remember that when I need to split MP3s, which does come up. =)
You do not have to use a lossy format with iTunes.

iTunes > Preferences > Importing
Choose AIFF, Apple Lossless, or WAV encoder from the dropdown.

iTunes will use this preference when choosing "Convert selection to..." in the Advanced menu.

(I also like Audacity for this type of thing)

Forum Links
Forum Rules