Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > P90X Work out

P90X Work out
Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2011, 06:10 AM

Has any one actually tried it out and got successful results?

I am thinking about trying it out because unlike most BS weight loss systems this one promises pain, hard work and modest results over a long period of time. Not a quick and easy system. That said I am curious of real world results if any one has used it as instructed.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2011, 07:06 AM

YES! I freakin LOVE P90X!

My personality is the type that I'll workout if I have a partner -- but not if I'm alone. I tend to get lazy and not push myself. So for me, having Tony and 3 guests working out at the same time, doing the same things I'm doing, was great for me keeping with the program.

It's 6 days a week, 1 hour each day, an 1.5 hours for the YogaX session. Depending how fit you are, the first couple of weeks are BRUTAL, but your body adjusts quickly. I dropped weight like gangbusters, and I also bulked-up quite a bit.

P90X2 is about to be released this Christmas, so you can probably get the P90X system for less.

You'll need some free weights and some resistance bands for the proper results (unless you have somewhere you can to pull-ups in your house), and if you "bring it" every day, you WILL get awesome results.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2011, 07:29 AM

ya im not fit at all lol, its going to be brutal. Do you have before and after photos? Sadly I got the same personality type when it comes to working out alone.

I downloaded all the material and guide to test it out. If I can keep up with it for a month and see even small results I will probably buy the kit.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 18, 2011, 07:37 AM

This thread is reminding me I need to get back to the gym. My weight's pretty good, and if I just put in a little effort I'm pretty sure I'd get huge physical and some psychological gains out of it. But I'm lazy right now and preoccupied with other things.

I think I need a doughnut.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2011, 03:06 PM

If you are not fit at all, you might consider starting with the Power 90 workout. It's also made by Tony Horton but is lower intensity that P90X. It's only 30-35 minutes a day, six days a week, and you alternate "Sweat" (cardio) and "Sculpt" (dumbbells/resistance bands) workouts.

90 days of that will get you in shape and ready to take on P90X. I also was not fit and got discouraged with P90X - it's too intense for someone who is not in shape. It's discouraging to not be able to do the reps required, let alone finish an hour long workout. Got Power 90 and it's much better for someone just starting working out.

I'm in week 3 of Power 90 and already can feel the gains in stamina and strength.

Make no mistake, the Power 90 workouts will made you sweat and will burn calories.

bstone
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2011, 04:18 PM

I started P90X two weeks ago. It's the "what muscle is going to hurt tomorrow" workout. Totally worth it. GO FOR IT!
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2011, 05:01 PM

Thanks M, I'll look that one up too.

bstone
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2011, 12:46 PM

If you're looking for a good pullup bar and band system, I think this is a good price and good product:

Amazon.com: Maximum Muscle Package All In One Doorway Chin Up Bar: Sports & Outdoors
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 20, 2011, 07:15 AM

I think most people see P90X first as a "fast way to shape up," and only much later as a long term commitment. It is intended to take someone who needs structure from where they are to lean and strong over several months. It won't take a 50 something like me, who has worn out knees and a work schedule like mine, and turn me into solid muscle-I simply cannot maintain the participation the system requires, at least not without a pre-fitness system commitment that gets me into good enough shape to handle P90X. At which point I'd probably decide I was more than fit enough.

Any fitness system must be something you can keep up with, or it's a waste of time and money. So right now I'm doing a brisk (4-5MPH) walk in my hilly neighborhood, covering about 1.5 miles several times a week, and it's helping. Next: faster, with some jogging (as long as my knees will put up with it), then longer distances and more jogging. P90X? Not for me. But the concept, with attacking different muscle groups in different ways, works in any context. You just have to keep at it.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2011, 09:28 AM

I used it. It's great...does everything it promises.

Forum Links
Forum Rules