Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > OmniWeb 4.1 SneakyPeeks !

OmniWeb 4.1 SneakyPeeks ! (Page 20)
Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 1, 2002, 11:10 AM

http://geek.com tab navigation also doesn't work (reported and being investigated why)

MSN.com using Mozilla was fun - for a couple weeks until MSN killed the java after unsuccessfully trying to block any browser other than IE. A pop down list of articles in each news tab section.

Rex
Forum Regular
Apr 1, 2002, 04:42 PM

I can't download SP64, I get a "forbidden" message from the server. Any idea why? is there another way to get it?

davidb224
Forum Regular
Apr 1, 2002, 04:55 PM

Originally posted by Rex:
<STRONG>I can't download SP64, I get a "forbidden" message from the server. Any idea why? is there another way to get it?</STRONG>
Me too! I just checked and got the same message. Their server must be down or something. (BTW I already have sp64; I was just checking for you)

I don't know any other way to get it...

[ 04-01-2002: Message edited by: davidb224 ]
davidb

Rex
Forum Regular
Apr 1, 2002, 05:07 PM

got it, never mind. When the server is down I don't usually get a "forbidden" message so I thought I was missing something...

davidb224
Forum Regular
Apr 2, 2002, 02:13 AM

I just downloaded sp65...but it was strange. I had to get it via the "check for updates" menu. When I went to the sneaky peek web-page there was no link to the download page, so you can't download it there. So, I ended up with the 6.2 MB version instead of the 3.2 version.
davidb

Sharky K.
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2002, 06:04 AM

67 is available

Jan Van Boghout
Apr 2, 2002, 06:46 AM

Originally posted by Sharky K.:
<STRONG>67 is available</STRONG>
This is insane , nobody even spoke of sp66. The quantity of new sneakypeeks seems to be increasing every week (and the download speed decreasing )

Jan Van Boghout
Apr 2, 2002, 06:54 AM

Wow , sp67 is much faster than sp64 (the last one I tried out)!

Really, this is great. I think I'm gonna stick with this version for some time.

Guy Incognito
Banned
Apr 2, 2002, 08:01 AM

Originally posted by Jan Van Boghout:
<STRONG>Wow , sp67 is much faster than sp64 (the last one I tried out)!

Really, this is great. I think I'm gonna stick with this version for some time.</STRONG>
April Fools over...oh wait, maybe you're right.

Sharky K.
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2002, 11:16 AM

I would like to see a "save" in form features...:

When there is a form in the html page and you typed in it, there should appear a save round in the close button and a slide when you close the window with:

You typed data in a form on this page.
Are you sure you don't want to submit this data?

cancel | close window

Guy Incognito
Banned
Apr 2, 2002, 11:27 AM

Originally posted by Sharky K.:
<STRONG>I would like to see a "save" in form features...:

When there is a form in the html page and you typed in it, there should appear a save round in the close button and a slide when you close the window with:

cancel | close window</STRONG>
Hmmm...that's a pretty cool idea. Well...maybe not the 'unsaved-changes-indicator in the close button' idea but the 'sheet that drops down to warn you that the info in the form hasn't been submitted' idea is good.

Rickster
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2002, 12:51 PM

Way ahead of ya... This has been on my to-do list since December when we "froze" the UI for localization. It'll be a 4.1.1 or 4.2 or 5.0 (whichever comes first) addition, likely.
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

unfaded
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 2, 2002, 03:00 PM

I never ever realized this feature before:

Click inside the cell on a MacNN post and hit Select - ALL. It selects everything within that post!

How fun! Or I'm just an idiot who discovered something everyone knew about. Either way.

davecom
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2002, 06:25 PM

Originally posted by unfaded:
<STRONG>I never ever realized this feature before:

Click inside the cell on a MacNN post and hit Select - ALL. It selects everything within that post!

How fun! Or I'm just an idiot who discovered something everyone knew about. Either way.</STRONG>
Cool, but how do I select an entire page of posts?

Drizzt
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2002, 06:35 PM

That's my problem right now..

It's hard to play Utopia when you can't select multiple cells in a table...

But.. who am I to rant? I'll stop playing after this age!

nickm
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 2, 2002, 06:52 PM

You can't. This is an artifact of the way Omniweb does rendering. According to people there, this will be addressed with the new rendering engine in OW 5.0.

murk
Forum Regular
Apr 2, 2002, 11:42 PM

I've found a problem with OmniWeb and StickyBrain2. OmniWeb adds StickyBrain's contextual menu items to the bottom of every menu pulled down from the Favorite's bar.

Synotic
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2002, 02:24 AM

Can anyone tell me why whenever I add my IE favorites, they NEVER get saved?

This has been basically with every version I've tried, thanks for any help.

Sharky K.
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2002, 03:29 AM

Originally posted by Synotic:
<STRONG>Can anyone tell me why whenever I add my IE favorites, they NEVER get saved?

This has been basically with every version I've tried, thanks for any help.</STRONG>
you mean "import"?

unfaded
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 3, 2002, 05:19 AM

What about International English?

I much prefer Colour to Color.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2002, 06:59 AM

OmniWeb 4.1 Beta 2 is out.

(Beat you sharky!)
You know it makes sense. ☼ ☼ ☼ Growl.

Sharky K.
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2002, 09:18 AM

Originally posted by Diggory Laycock:
<STRONG>OmniWeb 4.1 Beta 2 is out.

(Beat you sharky!)</STRONG>
you are good... but beat me? You are talking to the pro here
http://www.omnigroup.com/ftp/pub/software/MacOSX/10.1/

[ 04-03-2002: Message edited by: Sharky K. ]

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 3, 2002, 10:49 AM

Whenever I've had trouble lately with crash, beachball, it turns out to be the history files.

And maybe a way to verify the integrity on opening it? there are four history files. HistoryIndex.ox and HistoryIndex.ox.log seem to be the culprits.

rcr
Apr 3, 2002, 12:38 PM

Has anyone had any success with any build of OW4 and Citibank Direct Access? I was wondering if anyone had found a "magic" compatibility setting that did the trick, or if it's one of those sites we'll have to wait for a future version of OW in order to use properly.

rcr

ImpishLM
Forum Regular
Apr 3, 2002, 12:52 PM

What's the relationship between 4.1 Beta 2 and the latest sneakypeek? Are they one and the same, at least for the sp released on the same day?

Should I just continue with my sp, or switch to beta 2? Thanks!
'Tis a sin to kill a mockingbird

davidb224
Forum Regular
Apr 3, 2002, 01:41 PM

Originally posted by ImpishLM:
<STRONG>What's the relationship between 4.1 Beta 2 and the latest sneakypeek? Are they one and the same, at least for the sp released on the same day?

Should I just continue with my sp, or switch to beta 2</STRONG>
The latest sneaky peek (OW 4.1 sp67) was v. 378 and the new OW 4.1 beta 2 is v. 380.

The sneaky peeks are "nightly builds" that may or may not work better than the previous version and are released to a select group to test whether the changes Omnigroup has made have improved the functions they are working on....whereas a "beta" is a public release of the browser and that release (even though it still may have bugs in it) should work as well as the browser can at the time of the release.

I suggest you download and install the latest version. That's what I've done....

[ 04-03-2002: Message edited by: davidb224 ]
davidb

<Guy Incognito>
Apr 3, 2002, 02:13 PM

I've been doing some perceived-speed side-by-side comparison tests with the new OW 4.1 beta2 and Chimera (apparently the fastest browser EVAR!!!) and I *can't* say that Chimera is much faster than OW. Very honestly, all the sites that I browse come up on the screen just as fast as Chimera or maybe a fraction of second later than Chimera. Pretty impressive considering Chimera is a bare-bare-bare-bones browser that can't do anything but render and navigate pages.

Can anyone give me a list of websites that take a long time to render? I wanna test this myself...I don't want to be anal but I keep hearing stupid stories about OW being slow when it really isn't...or at least not on a dual-800 g4.

Brazuca
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2002, 02:17 PM

Originally posted by &lt;Guy Incognito&gt;:
<STRONG>I've been doing some perceived-speed side-by-side comparison tests with the new OW 4.1 beta2 and Chimera (apparently the fastest browser EVAR!!!) and I *can't* say that Chimera is much faster than OW. Very honestly, all the sites that I browse come up on the screen just as fast as Chimera or maybe a fraction of second later than Chimera. Pretty impressive considering Chimera is a bare-bare-bare-bones browser that can't do anything but render and navigate pages.

Can anyone give me a list of websites that take a long time to render? I wanna test this myself...I don't want to be anal but I keep hearing stupid stories about OW being slow when it really isn't...or at least not on a dual-800 g4.</STRONG>

Well, javascript still has major issues, so those won't *ever* render. Not until OW5.
But I digress. Loving OW.
"It's about time trees did something good insted of just standing there LIKE JERKS!" :)

<Guy Incognito>
Apr 3, 2002, 02:20 PM

Originally posted by Brazuca:
<STRONG>

Well, javascript still has major issues, so those won't *ever* render. Not until OW5.
But I digress. Loving OW.</STRONG>
Yeah, I agree that javascript and table-rendering is still a little on the slow side...but for the most part, OW is quite fast. Definitely not faster than Chimera...but definitely not much slower either for most sites.

rgoer
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 3, 2002, 04:14 PM

I just downloaded 4.1b2 (released 3 April 2002)... I was kind of hoping that, upon reaching such a "milestone" as public beta 2, a whole lot of annoyances might have been dealt with. I mean, it's listed on today's Versiontracker, for crying out loud! Don't get me wrong, I love OmniWeb and loudly applaud the Omni Group for so strongly furthering the cause of Mac OS X application development. I just wish that OmniWeb could successfully deal with my university's web-based IMAP email client, not to mention my credit union's website. I think both of those issues have to do with OmniWeb not completely succeeding in convincing host servers that it is, in fact, Internet Explorer. Oh well... OW 5 will have to come someday, right?
Even Einstein feared the power of "spooky action at a distance"

pobodysnerfect
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 3, 2002, 08:10 PM

aaaahhhhhhh... with public beta 2 I can finally log into my Bank of America online account. THANK YOU OMNI GROUP!!

Mack
Forum Regular
Apr 3, 2002, 08:47 PM

4.1 beta 2 is very nice. After doing the nightly sneakypeek fandango for the past few weeks, I may just settle down with 4.1 for awhile.

Elvin
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 3, 2002, 10:35 PM

Beta two is fantastic...great work Omni Group!

I'm just listening to "your Mac Life" through OmniWeb. It's a live Quicktime streaming feed, so I open it in one window and continue surfing the net in another window. I'm using cable internet, so the speed is still pretty good. However I noticed that if I hold down on the scroll bar for a while, that the feed actually cuts out for as long as I hold it down. Is this a problem with Quicktime, or just something that OmniWeb can't handle very well at this time? I'm hoping that eventually I will be listening to it through iTunes :-)

Anyway, keep up the great work!

lookmark
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2002, 10:41 PM

I'm a bit puzzled. In going from OW 4.1b1 to 4.1b2, I've noticed that nonaliased text has very poor kerning -- it's quite painful to read, especially at length.

I could have sworn that this wasn't nearly as much a problem in 4.1b1.

Here's an example of what I mean:

What's up with this?

BTW. I have my font preferences for proportional and fixed width to be Lucida Grande Regular 13pt, and smoothing text larger than 9 pt. I love the Quartz text smoothing that OW provides, but for long stretches of very small text (below 10 pt.) -- like these forums -- I much prefer it off. But not if it looks like it does above....

zigmeister
Forum Regular
Apr 3, 2002, 11:10 PM

Wow. Beta 2 is so good I feel like crying. I haven't been here for awhile so I had no idea the sneaky peeks were still rolling.

Now I do my webmail, homebanking and blogging without any hiccups. It is good bye explorer for me.

And it's gotten so friggin fast!
Master of Zigs

one09jason
Forum Regular
Apr 3, 2002, 11:13 PM

Muuuuch better. Is it just me, or has scrolling become much faster? I checked out at sp45 or so. This is MUCH better, and, it seems, much faster too. Anyone else think so?

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2002, 11:26 PM

Originally posted by lookmark:
<STRONG>What's up with this?</STRONG>
First off, it's called aliased text.

Second, that's how aliased text looks in ALL Cocoa apps.
It's been exactly the same since Mac OS X DP3.
You just never noticed it before.

[ 04-03-2002: Message edited by: starfleetX ]
The server made a boo boo. (403)

<Guy Incognito>
Apr 4, 2002, 12:09 AM

What I really need Omni to do for my sanity is fix Hotmail's javascript e-mail management. My poor mother that doesn't understand computers is about to flip. First, she hated using OS 9 because of crashes. Then I was dual-booting OS 9 and OS X and she didn't understand the concept that I had to different OSs on the computer...let alone what an OS was. Then I went to OS X fulltime when OmniWeb used to work flawlessly with Hotmail (mid-4.1-sneakypeek-days)...now in Beta2, javascript hangs and leaves my mom with the spinning-rainbow-disc. My mom's sick and tired of this. I couldn't care less if OW hangs...I just force-quit and relaunch it...but my mom on the other hand is less forgiving.

Do my mom a favor and fix the javascript problems specific to Hotmail...then I'll take the 'Your mom just called and said you should send in your registration fee.' nag seriously.

Rickster
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2002, 12:20 AM

Wait for 5.0, I'm afraid. Sorry.

OmniWeb adds StickyBrain's contextual menu items to the bottom of every menu pulled down from the Favorite's bar.
The Cocoa mechanism for making custom pop-up menus like the ones in Favorites ends up going through the same Carbon context-menu API whether the menu is being summoned from a control-click or not, so contextual menu plugins get their chance to append themselves to the menu. I think there's a way for the makers of StickyBrain to work around this, but I'm not a Carbon guy so I couldn't say for sure.

What about International English? I much prefer Colour to Color.
All our localizations are produced by volunteers. So, if you'd like to help "translate" OmniWeb, please let us know and we'll help you get started.

International English would have some problems because it's not an official Apple language in OS X (British and Australian are, however), and OS X itself isn't localized for it. Since Cocoa apps inherit a lot of UI text from Apple's localizations, you'd end up with several strings not being translated... including "Show Colors", since it's a feature provided by Apple.

I've been doing some perceived-speed side-by-side comparison tests...
On the kinds of pages our renderer was originally designed for (i.e. not table-heavy ones), we expect that OmniWeb will beat any other browser hands down. Even on some table-based pages, you might find that if you time the total duration between starting to load a page and finishing, OmniWeb will often be faster than others, especially if you turn off incremental rendering in both. 5.0 may likely lay to rest any questions of which browser is generally fastest. But it'll be quite a while before we can say for sure.

However I noticed that if I hold down on the scroll bar for a while, that the feed actually cuts out for as long as I hold it down. Is this a problem with Quicktime, or just something that OmniWeb can't handle very well at this time?
It's an issue with Cocoa. When you hold the mouse button on a scroll bar thumb, the main thread is suspended in a modal event loop. All code that draws to the screen or interacts with thread-unsafe OS services like QuickTime happens in the main thread, so it gets suspended while you drag the scrollbar.

I'm a bit puzzled. In going from OW 4.1b1 to 4.1b2, I've noticed that nonaliased text has very poor kerning -- it's quite painful to read, especially at length.
That's an OS issue, I'm afraid. You'll noticed that Geneva 9 looks just as bad in TextEdit or Mail if you set your system-wide antialiasing preference to something greater than 10.

After doing the nightly sneakypeek fandango for the past few weeks, I may just settle down with 4.1 for awhile.
You've got a situation here... there's a wild fandango loose in the theater.
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

flysky
Apr 4, 2002, 01:52 AM

Rick:

I'm just trying out Beta 2 now, and as much as I appreciate being able to use OmniWeb to read e-mail messages on my work Exchange account (taken care of many SneakyPeeks ago), I would like to be able to reply, forward, work with the calendar, etc. I haven't read anyone else writing about this for a while, so maybe I'm the only one who's still having problems, but if not, can you provide any information about the status of OmniWeb and Exchange? Or at least tell me what I need to do differently, if it's supposed to work? Thanks a lot. The browser is great, and like everyone here, I look forward to being able to use it all the time for all my browsing.

JKT
Professional Poster
Apr 4, 2002, 07:12 AM

I haven't tried this in OW4.1 beta2 yet, and it has been a long time since I last saw it asked, but will/does OW 4.1 support the Acrobat Reader plug-in yet? That is, will a .pdf open within the browser (within an acrobat reader framework), rather than being downloaded?

Not a big problem but just curious to know what the problem is/was.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Apr 4, 2002, 08:21 AM

This has to be some sort of MacNN record. A thread about a real issue/topic going on for this many posts, whithout going off topic at all and remaing usefull (this excludes all pointless lounge threads).

JKT
Professional Poster
Apr 4, 2002, 09:55 AM

Originally posted by Mediaman_12:
<STRONG>This has to be some sort of MacNN record. A thread about a real issue/topic going on for this many posts, whithout going off topic at all and remaing usefull (this excludes all pointless lounge threads).</STRONG>
Nice weather we're having, huh?

Jan Van Boghout
Apr 4, 2002, 10:48 AM

Post number 993 !
7 more to go and we're at a thousand !

davecom
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2002, 02:40 PM

Originally posted by &lt;Guy Incognito&gt;:
<STRONG>What I really need Omni to do for my sanity is fix Hotmail's javascript e-mail management. My poor mother that doesn't understand computers is about to flip. First, she hated using OS 9 because of crashes. Then I was dual-booting OS 9 and OS X and she didn't understand the concept that I had to different OSs on the computer...let alone what an OS was. Then I went to OS X fulltime when OmniWeb used to work flawlessly with Hotmail (mid-4.1-sneakypeek-days)...now in Beta2, javascript hangs and leaves my mom with the spinning-rainbow-disc. My mom's sick and tired of this. I couldn't care less if OW hangs...I just force-quit and relaunch it...but my mom on the other hand is less forgiving.

Do my mom a favor and fix the javascript problems specific to Hotmail...then I'll take the 'Your mom just called and said you should send in your registration fee.' nag seriously. </STRONG>
Let your Mom use IE for godsakes. Don't impose your holy war on your mother.

Rickster
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2002, 04:20 PM

I haven't tried this in OW4.1 beta2 yet, and it has been a long time since I last saw it asked, but will/does OW 4.1 support the Acrobat Reader plug-in yet? That is, will a .pdf open within the browser (within an acrobat reader framework), rather than being downloaded?
No, because the Acrobat plugin itself isn't OS X native. (Which is why it doesn't work in IE for X either.) The Acrobat plugin for 9 sort of cheated... it didn't really do anything itself, it just established a path for the Acrobat application to draw into the web browser's windows. Apps can't draw directly into other apps' windows on OS X. (If they could, they could also trash other apps' memory allocation... that's what protected memory is all about.) We've had some communication with Adobe about this plugin, and it looks like whenever they finish rearchitecting it to work on X we'll be able to ensure it works with OmniWeb.
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

Sharky K.
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2002, 04:57 PM

I always disliked the "acrobat reader" in the browser.

but what about Quicktime movies in the browser?

[ 04-04-2002: Message edited by: Sharky K. ]

<Guy Incognito>
Apr 4, 2002, 08:04 PM

Originally posted by davecom:
<STRONG>

Let your Mom use IE for godsakes. Don't impose your holy war on your mother.</STRONG>
That's what I did.

benh57
Senior User
Apr 4, 2002, 09:33 PM

I still get Java crashes all the time with SPb2. Been reporting these for about 6 versions, no fix.

Watch some of the java applet at:
http://www.asciimation.co.nz/

Then close the window. Crash.
Dual 800 - GF3 - 1.5GB

cpac
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2002, 12:15 AM

Originally posted by benh57:
<STRONG>I still get Java crashes all the time with SPb2. Been reporting these for about 6 versions, no fix.

Watch some of the java applet at:
http://www.asciimation.co.nz/

Then close the window. Crash.</STRONG>

I just tried it (watched all the way to the Death Star capturing the Falcon) but no crash...

Maybe some file of yours is corrupted or something?

cpac

Wait - I take that back. Closing the window resulted in a crash, but just loading a new page (by clicking on a link or a bookmark) doesn't crash, and allows you to close the window safely. It's a good work-around for now anyway...

[ 04-04-2002: Message edited by: cpac ]
cpac

Forum Links
Forum Rules