Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > OmniWeb 4.1 SneakyPeeks !

OmniWeb 4.1 SneakyPeeks ! (Page 29)
davidb224
Forum Regular
May 6, 2002, 04:35 PM

Originally posted by Mr. Blur:
<STRONG>looks like planetmirror is back to normal....i was finally able to d/l (and it did very quickly....)</STRONG>
Me too....and b6 looks real good. They've made some changes.
davidb

starfleetX
Mac Elite
May 6, 2002, 10:46 PM

Well, beta 6 has already made me send in five more reports. Now, though, I'm putting in many details, hopeing desperately that the Omni Group can track down my mysterious crashes.

Plus, beta 6 brings back the rare but very annoying "flicker" problem. Sometimes when a page loads, anything that draws in front of it makes OmniWeb flicker wildly when redrawing the window content. The problem goes away by simply closing the offending window and either continuing to browse in another window or open a new one.

Watch this Snapz video to understand:
OmniWeb flickerfest '02!

Here's an older one from March 11th (I can't remember which build we were on then):
Blinky blinky.

Any ideas? Anyone?
Bueller? Bueller?

[ 05-06-2002: Message edited by: starfleetX ]
The server made a boo boo. (403)

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
May 7, 2002, 03:08 AM

Well, just after saying OW has been rock solid, it chooses to crash!!

it looks (again) like it was the history file.

I set the requirements for it to not track as long or as much, but I dunno.

And recently all the forum reply windows are now stretching BEYOND the window.
This seems to be new and didn't happen in the past. but happens here and on MacNN
as well as MacGurus forums.

Typing just goes off the right side of the window unless I made OW to be as wide as the monitor,
which would be 1152.

ac2c
May 7, 2002, 04:34 AM

Well I thought I would see if the overprint would be a problem for me. So far it looks like it isn't on this site. So at least that is one problem I am not having. I am getting some window jump as a page loads (especially longer ones) and I have overprint when I go to VersionTracker.com. That is taken care of by widening the window. So far no crashes on any of my normal "test" sites. It is a tad faster, but I am running a 400 MHZ iMac so any speed increase is fairly notable even on a cable hookup. Cudos to the guys at Omni - 3 different software updates in one day. Don't think this one is "gold" yet. Some of the corrections have added other problems (as usual in any beta). You guys at Omni are doing a good job - keep up the good work.
It IS as bad as you think, and they ARE out to get you!

neutrino23
Dedicated MacNNer
May 8, 2002, 12:25 AM

I noticed that with b6 the forum jump from MacNN no longer works. First time I've seen that problem.
Happy owner of a new 15" Al PB.

JKT
Professional Poster
May 8, 2002, 04:00 AM

Originally posted by neutrino23:
<STRONG>I noticed that with b6 the forum jump from MacNN no longer works. First time I've seen that problem.</STRONG>
It's a known issue at Omni. Should be dealt with before the next release.

Edit: Link to OW mailing list

[ 05-08-2002: Message edited by: JKT ]

Rickster
Mac Elite
May 8, 2002, 04:40 AM

Hello from San Jose!

Does Quartz Extreme mean that OmniWeb will see massive speed improvements when 10.2 comes out?
Improvements, yes. Massive, no.

More importantly, Chimera exposed a fault in OW: it handled a java-based game I play that OW can't...
Both us and the Chimera team are working independently to overcome the current limitations of Java Embedding in Cocoa. That means they'll fix (or find workarounds for) issues that we haven't yet, and vice versa. Some applets will work in OmniWeb but not Chimera, and vice versa.

Of course, both their code and ours (in that area) is open-source, so maybe we'll be leveraging each other's improvements. We just spent some time this evening hanging out with one of their guys (who kept trying to get us to hire him)... they're pretty cool.
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

MrBS
Grizzled Veteran
May 8, 2002, 08:20 AM

Odd bug. In beta 6 (v 399). Go to webcoder.com (WAIT! finish up anything else you're doing in OmniWeb). Does the page load for you? Or do you get the address bar caught in some kind of loop?
~BS

[edit: Me fail English? That's unpossible]

[ 05-08-2002: Message edited by: MrBS ]

jason75
Forum Regular
May 8, 2002, 12:08 PM

Originally posted by MrBS:
<STRONG>Odd bug. In beta 6 (v 399). Go to webcoder.com (WAIT! finish up anything else you're doing in OmniWeb). Does the page load for you? Or do you get the address bar caught in some kind of loop?
~BS

[ 05-08-2002: Message edited by: MrBS ]</STRONG>
Looking at the source they have quotes around the meta-refresh url. Removing the quotes fixes the problem.

zengravy
Forum Regular
May 11, 2002, 06:15 PM

I thought I would bump this back to the main page.

I have been almost crash free with beta 6 after deleting all prefs, history, and bookmark files. I ran with the stock bookmarks for a few days, then MANUALLY created a new bookmarks file. Only one crash in about a week's worth of moderate usage.

Maybe the bookmarks file really WAS the problem... Go figure.

Looking forward to the next release...

zen
--
you cannot enter a place that you never left.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2002, 10:57 PM

just checking in on the Thread That Never Ends
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Montanan
Grizzled Veteran
May 12, 2002, 12:47 AM

I'm looking forward to the next release, too ... beta 6 is starting to misbehave more and more for me.

Things were almost flawless for the first few days I ran beta 6, but now more and more pages are loading incompletely, and other pages (like the MacNN forums) almost never load their graphics anymore. And the right side of the Versiontracker pages are nearly always obscured by the site's ads. Hitting Reload used to solve most of those problems, but that doesn't always work anymore. Very weird.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
May 12, 2002, 12:59 AM

...hmm....and unusual for us to go more than 2 days without another build to try out. are we nearing the end of this beta cycle?
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

jason75
Forum Regular
May 12, 2002, 01:23 AM

Originally posted by Mr. Blur:
<STRONG>...hmm....and unusual for us to go more than 2 days without another build to try out. are we nearing the end of this beta cycle?</STRONG>
They've been at WWDC all week.

MrBS
Grizzled Veteran
May 12, 2002, 05:42 AM

Originally posted by jason75:
<STRONG>

They've been at WWDC all week.</STRONG>
Too busy boozin' and whorin' to write code for us? The bastards.

~BS

gregomni
Forum Regular
May 12, 2002, 04:07 PM

Originally posted by MrBS:
<STRONG>
Too busy boozin' and whorin' to write code for us? The bastards.
</STRONG>
Boozin'? Yes!

Whorin'? Have you _been_ to WWDC? It causes a major flux in the nerd field. 99% of women instinctively detect this from miles away and subconsciously avoid the area. Those few females who can stand the high density nerd energy are constantly surrounded.

(... besides, I'm married.)

rtamesis
Dedicated MacNNer
May 12, 2002, 09:27 PM

Javascripts produced by Coursebuilder for Dreamweaver still do not work properly under Omniweb 4.1 beta 6 while they do with IE, Netscape and Chimera/Navigator 0.2.7.

kcmac
Mac Elite
May 12, 2002, 10:52 PM

Could someone try this site and tell me why I can't see it with OmniWeb?
www.mini2.com

I thought it used to work a few months back. Navigator, Mozilla and Exploder all see it. My favorite forum site BTW.

cpac
Professional Poster
May 13, 2002, 12:25 AM

Originally posted by kcmac:
<STRONG>Could someone try this site and tell me why I can't see it with OmniWeb?
www.mini2.com

I thought it used to work a few months back. Navigator, Mozilla and Exploder all see it. My favorite forum site BTW. </STRONG>
Because it uses Dynamic HTML and OW cannot yet deal with DHTML. (problems with homepage are supposedly due to the same thing).

Seems like a silly site to use DHTML for - ordinary HTML would presumably do the same stuff... [but I'm certainly no expert - that's just my opinion having looked at the site in Chimera]

[ 05-13-2002: Message edited by: cpac ]
cpac

cpac
Professional Poster
May 13, 2002, 12:28 AM

Originally posted by Montanan:
<STRONG>I'm looking forward to the next release, too ... beta 6 is starting to misbehave more and more for me.

Things were almost flawless for the first few days I ran beta 6, but now more and more pages are loading incompletely, and other pages (like the MacNN forums) almost never load their graphics anymore. And the right side of the Versiontracker pages are nearly always obscured by the site's ads. Hitting Reload used to solve most of those problems, but that doesn't always work anymore. Very weird.</STRONG>
Sounds like maybe your history files are filling up/becoming corrupted &c. I personally didn't use history much and so I tried setting my prefs to remember only 1 site, and to not remember history between sessions. Beta 6 has stayed nice and snappy (as well as loading things properly) since it came out...
cpac

Montanan
Grizzled Veteran
May 13, 2002, 09:39 PM

Originally posted by cpac:
<STRONG>

Sounds like maybe your history files are filling up/becoming corrupted &c. I personally didn't use history much and so I tried setting my prefs to remember only 1 site, and to not remember history between sessions. Beta 6 has stayed nice and snappy (as well as loading things properly) since it came out...</STRONG>
D'oh! Good call, cpac ... many thanks. A few days ago, I had actually increased the settings in my history preferences, to see what would happen. And then when things started going wrong, I forgot that I'd done it! Problem solved.

cpac
Professional Poster
May 14, 2002, 02:53 AM

Originally posted by Montanan:
<STRONG>

D'oh! Good call, cpac ... many thanks. A few days ago, I had actually increased the settings in my history preferences, to see what would happen. And then when things started going wrong, I forgot that I'd done it! Problem solved.</STRONG>
no worries.

troubling though, isn't it, how history gets corrupted so easily...
cpac

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
May 14, 2002, 03:03 AM

Two things I want to mention to the Omni Guys

1) Why doesn't Apple iTools officially support OmniWeb ? I switched my 'compatibility' setting over to 'IE 5' and iTools works perfectly, so surely all Apple have to do it add a bit of browser detection code for OmniWeb into the iTools web site for it to work by default ? I dislike pretending to be IE - I want webmasters to know they've been hit by OmniWeb !

2) .HTMLD - I just discovered this last night playing with the HTML 'save as..' in the chess program Vektor. It's effectively the same idea as an RTFD document, but with HTML - a directory that appears as a single file in the Finder, and contains an index.html, images (and presumably any other pages you care). It effectively lets you save a complete web page (images and all) as a 'single file' in the Finder. This would be a superb 'save as..' format for OmniWeb to support...

MrBS
Grizzled Veteran
May 14, 2002, 03:30 AM

nevermind

[edit: incompetence]

[ 05-14-2002: Message edited by: MrBS ]

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
May 14, 2002, 06:05 AM

It does for me, that's how I read my webcomics.
[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated

cpac
Professional Poster
May 14, 2002, 01:23 PM

Originally posted by Gee4orce:
<STRONG>Two things I want to mention to the Omni Guys

1) Why doesn't Apple iTools officially support OmniWeb ? I switched my 'compatibility' setting over to 'IE 5' and iTools works perfectly, so surely all Apple have to do it add a bit of browser detection code for OmniWeb into the iTools web site for it to work by default ? I dislike pretending to be IE - I want webmasters to know they've been hit by OmniWeb !</STRONG>
Not everything works yet. Much does, but for example, the slideshows do not properly display the titles of pictures. There are other javascript DHTML problems with home page that don't quite work in OW yet...
cpac

MrBS
Grizzled Veteran
May 15, 2002, 09:00 PM

Is there a quicker way to get to a bookmark's info than opening the bookmark pane, navigating through the folders, and hitting apple i? Is there some kind of key shortcut, so if I'm at a site I can open up the bookmark prefs to change how often it is checked for updates? Might be a good idea for a toolbar button if there's no way to do that now.
~BS

benh57
Senior User
May 15, 2002, 10:08 PM

81's up.

Snappy.
Dual 800 - GF3 - 1.5GB

Guy Incognito
Banned
May 15, 2002, 11:18 PM

Originally posted by benh57:
<STRONG>81's up.

Snappy.</STRONG>
Geezus...it *IS* SNAPPY!

CaseCom
Professional Poster
May 16, 2002, 02:55 AM

Originally posted by benh57:
<STRONG>81's up.

Snappy.</STRONG>
Oh fer chrissake ... When do we get 4.1 Final?!?!?! These sneakypeeks have gone on longer than I don't know what.

And please don't flame me for not having read all 629 pages of this thread.

[/rant]

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
May 16, 2002, 05:26 AM

If you want to change your preferred browser back to OW after installing a new SneakyPeek try a little utility I wrote.

All you have to do (once you have configured it on the first run) is launch it and press return and OW will become your preferred browser again.
http://www.Monkeyfood.com/software/R...hority.dmg.sit

ac2c
May 16, 2002, 07:15 AM

Thank you for the utility - it works GREAT. Now I can pick my browser of the day. In the case of SneakyPeak 81, it might be OW forever. So far, so good. We will see what it is acting like in a few hours.
It IS as bad as you think, and they ARE out to get you!

shortcipher
Dedicated MacNNer
May 16, 2002, 08:17 AM

Originally posted by Guy Incognito:
<STRONG>

Geezus...it *IS* SNAPPY!</STRONG>
snappy? compared to what? Trying to use it with these forums is painful, I really love omniweb but it seems like they have spent months developing 4.1, which isnt finished yet and cant even scroll through these forums at a half decent speed, for all its flaws and glitches Chimera is a faster browsing experience any day of the week, plus you can switch off the damned antialiasing!

cpac
Professional Poster
May 16, 2002, 11:31 AM

Originally posted by CaseCom:
<STRONG>

Oh fer chrissake ... When do we get 4.1 Final?!?!?! These sneakypeeks have gone on longer than I don't know what.

And please don't flame me for not having read all 629 pages of this thread.

[/rant]</STRONG>
my guess would be when it's done.

Seriously, they know there are still some bugs to work out and so they're squashing them before releasing (although the recent increase in beta-quality builds suggests they're almost there - my personal bet is 4.1 final by the end of the summer, if not before).

A less responsible company could have released beta 6 (or beta 2 for that matter) as a final product and worked on a bug update for later. This way, only those who know they are using an unfinished product subject themselves to bugs.

[ 05-16-2002: Message edited by: cpac ]
cpac

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
May 16, 2002, 11:43 AM

Originally posted by shortcipher:
<STRONG>

snappy? compared to what? Trying to use it with these forums is painful, I really love omniweb but it seems like they have spent months developing 4.1, which isnt finished yet and cant even scroll through these forums at a half decent speed, for all its flaws and glitches Chimera is a faster browsing experience any day of the week, plus you can switch off the damned antialiasing!</STRONG>
Mileages vary.. it's snappy for me, alright - I've never noticed any scrolling delay whatsoever, on any page, and I only have a 400 MHz machine. sp81 makes me very happy indeed, it finally fixes the one bug that was actually affecting me (one of the actual table things) and somehow manages to be even faster than before.
Terminated

Guy Incognito
Banned
May 16, 2002, 11:44 AM

<STRONG>

snappy? compared to what? Trying to use it with these forums is painful, I really love omniweb but it seems like they have spent months developing 4.1, which isnt finished yet and cant even scroll through these forums at a half decent speed, for all its flaws and glitches Chimera is a faster browsing experience any day of the week, plus you can switch off the damned antialiasing!</STRONG>
Funny you should ask...snappy compared to Chimera...I do all my comparisons with Chimera as the basis! And also funny you should mention that OmniWeb is slow scrolling through these forums when Chimera is about 3 times slower/choppier. Have you used Chimera lately? No? I didn't think so.

Damned antialiasing? You ok, dude?

[ 05-16-2002: Message edited by: Guy Incognito ]

cpac
Professional Poster
May 16, 2002, 11:45 AM

<STRONG>Trying to use it with these forums is painful, I really love omniweb but it seems like they have spent months developing 4.1, which isnt finished yet and cant even scroll through these forums at a half decent speed, for all its flaws and glitches Chimera is a faster browsing experience any day of the week, plus you can switch off the damned antialiasing!</STRONG>
1) OW's scrolling speed is tied to your key repeat rate, so if you have that set on a low speed, this could be your problem. Also, if the arrow keys are too slow for you, you can try scrolling with the space bar - it goes an entire page-up or page-down.

2) I just loaded this page in both Chimera and OWsp81, and I must say, with the floating clock widow in front of them, they both took about 35 seconds to scroll all the way down the page using the arrow keys (which is admittedly, painfully slow - but both were slow).

3) If I *close* the clock program, OW scrolls much, much faster. Don't know why, but it does.

I'm on a TiBook 500, with 512. I understand OW screams on Dual machines. I only use Chimera for those pages OW won't load properly, and there are even some pages Chimera won't load that OW will (e.g. www.eattorney.com).

[Edit: fixed URL tags]

[ 05-16-2002: Message edited by: cpac ]
cpac

ReggieX
Professional Poster
May 16, 2002, 12:11 PM

Originally posted by Gee4orce:
<STRONG>
2) .HTMLD - I just discovered this last night playing with the HTML 'save as..' in the chess program Vektor. It's effectively the same idea as an RTFD document, but with HTML - a directory that appears as a single file in the Finder, and contains an index.html, images (and presumably any other pages you care). It effectively lets you save a complete web page (images and all) as a 'single file' in the Finder. This would be a superb 'save as..' format for OmniWeb to support...</STRONG>
If it's anything like IE's Web Archives, then NO THANKS!
If it's like Mozilla's save page complete, where you get the html page and a directory with all the images, then I say YES. As long as I can get to the images separately, without the program that created it, then I'm for it. Otherwise there's no point.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

solitere
Mac Enthusiast
May 16, 2002, 05:11 PM

What�s the reason for that Windows Media Player plugin won�t work or still will not work in Omniweb and Mozilla browsers. Any ideas anyone!
There are a lot of news websites that provides streamingmedia in WMP. It would be great not to switch to IE from Omniweb or Mozilla everytime I would like to listen or watch some media!

[ 05-16-2002: Message edited by: solitere ]

Sharky K.
Mac Elite
May 16, 2002, 05:31 PM

Originally posted by ReggieX:
<STRONG>

If it's anything like IE's Web Archives, then NO THANKS!
If it's like Mozilla's save page complete, where you get the html page and a directory with all the images, then I say YES. As long as I can get to the images separately, without the program that created it, then I'm for it. Otherwise there's no point.</STRONG>
ever seen an rtfd? I don't think so.

He means a "package", right click &gt; show package (just like with applications) and you can view the contents of the package.
this has the result:
- it stays one file
- you can drag all the files from the package and put it on your webserver for example or just edit the html file in the package

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
May 16, 2002, 05:43 PM

Here is a challenge. Get the iFilm website to function properly. IE even struggles with this one.

Hudson
May 16, 2002, 07:57 PM

Every build of OmniWeb after SP75 (76 through 82 plus Beta 6) has a bug that disables drop-down menus (at least on a site that I frequent) on pages that were navigated to with the back button. I've e-mailed them twice about it but the fix, and I hope it's coming, hasn't made it into the mix. I continue to use SP75 as my primary browser as a result.

KaptainKaya
Mac Elite
May 16, 2002, 08:10 PM

Originally posted by Hudson:
<STRONG>Every build of OmniWeb after SP75 (76 through 82 plus Beta 6) has a bug that disables drop-down menus (at least on a site that I frequent) on pages that were navigated to with the back button. I've e-mailed them twice about it but the fix, and I hope it's coming, hasn't made it into the mix. I continue to use SP75 as my primary browser as a result.</STRONG>
Oh good I'm not the only one to notice that!

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
May 16, 2002, 10:17 PM

I see 82 is out, but no release notes... has anybody noticed a difference between this and 81?
Terminated

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
May 17, 2002, 07:10 AM

I've noticed that the table rendering seems to be a bit iffy in sp82 (see www.macslash.com or www.macosxhints.com)

ImpishLM
Forum Regular
May 17, 2002, 10:24 AM

The OW icon in my dock now has a green lightning bolt with the number 1 on it. What's this about?

Also, why are all the buttons in this forum (Post Reply, Post New Topic, etc.) replaced by the "broken image" icon? They still work, of course; just their images are affected.
'Tis a sin to kill a mockingbird

nibeck
Forum Regular
May 17, 2002, 11:34 AM

The green arrow with numbers is OWs link checker. It is telling you how many of your links have been updated since you last checked them.

- Mike

shortcipher
Dedicated MacNNer
May 17, 2002, 12:16 PM

Originally posted by cpac:
<STRONG>

1) OW's scrolling speed is tied to your key repeat rate, so if you have that set on a low speed, this could be your problem. Also, if the arrow keys are too slow for you, you can try scrolling with the space bar - it goes an entire page-up or page-down.</STRONG>
hmm, dont really use keyboard scrolling, I tend to use the scrollbars and the mouse. Using the keyboard is much more bearable, but just try dragging a page up and down using the mouse in IE, Chimera and OW and you'll see what I mean, with OW its like the page is coated in tar, its sooooo sticky and jumpy and slow, Chimera just flies along.

cpac
Professional Poster
May 17, 2002, 12:50 PM

<STRONG>

hmm, dont really use keyboard scrolling, I tend to use the scrollbars and the mouse. Using the keyboard is much more bearable, but just try dragging a page up and down using the mouse in IE, Chimera and OW and you'll see what I mean, with OW its like the page is coated in tar, its sooooo sticky and jumpy and slow, Chimera just flies along.</STRONG>
Well I just tried it the good ol' scrollbar/scroll arrow way and on my machine (tiBook 500) OW was actually much smoother (Chimera was jumpy and weird).

Perhaps it's tied to the fact that you have anti-aliasing turned off?
cpac

MrBS
Grizzled Veteran
May 17, 2002, 02:03 PM

Originally posted by ImpishLM:
<STRONG>The OW icon in my dock now has a green lightning bolt with the number 1 on it. What's this about?

Also, why are all the buttons in this forum (Post Reply, Post New Topic, etc.) replaced by the "broken image" icon? They still work, of course; just their images are affected.</STRONG>
The green lightning means ow checked a site and found it updated. Click on the icon and hold down and you'll have a list of all the updated bookmarks. If you don't like this behavior, or want to fine tune it, change the default check in the bookmark preferences. You can also set a unique check time for individual bookmarks by selecting a bookmark in the bookmark pane and hitting apple i.
~BS

Forum Links
Forum Rules