Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Help! Mac Users Excluded from AFSA Website

Help! Mac Users Excluded from AFSA Website
TheTrinity
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2001, 12:34 AM

Why are Mac users excluded from websites?!?

I recently tried to access the AFSA website to find information about how to pay back my school loans (It's a large lending bank), only to find their website unusable on IE 5.1. After trying every browser I have installed in both MacOS 9 and Mac OS X, I gave up and wrote to the company requesting information, and informing them that their website had serious problems. I couldn't believe the reply I received:

Thank you for your inquiry to AFSA's Borrower Services Department.

Unfortunately, if you are using a Mac computer you will not be able to view AFSA's web site. The browser used with this type of computer is not capable of reading Java Script on our pages.

There is a software program that does allow Mac users to access the site. This program is called Virtual PC. If this is installed on your computer you should be able to log on in this manner and not have any complications.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Shannon Carbone
AFSA Borrower Services Department

How can we encourage such companies to NOT exclude Mac users?

How would you reply to this message?

[ 11-05-2001: Message edited by: TheTrinity ]
TheTrinity
Tokyo

neurack
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2001, 01:06 AM

I was going to look at the site to see if their were obvious JavaScript things to directly recommend them changing- but I couldn't find the part where IE for Mac doesn't function properly- could you give a URL?

Anyway, you are right- site developers get lazy and it is easier on them if they just support one setup (IE on PC these days).

Perhaps you can say something like this:

"I appreciate your response.

However, I would like to leave you with a suggestion. While the number of Mac users may be low in comparison to the number of PC users, the number is still well in the millions of potential customers you are unintentionally alienating. Besides this fact, Mac users are in general a financially savvy group, and can quickly prove an excellent market to tap.

Given these factors, I believe that supporting Macintosh can prove to be well worth the testing and development effort required. Thank you."

I've sent numerous messages like that in the past, and while most people ignore them, I've actually seen some changes made because of it. Good luck in your quest!!

TheTrinity  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2001, 01:14 AM

I've encountered problems randonly at many of their pages. But consistent problems emerge once I log in to view my account. I'm unable to make an online payment or use their online banking services. Many of the links for more detailed information resulted in a blank page.
Here's two links I encountered problems with:
https://www2.afsa.com/bac/GENL/ExpressPay.html
https://www2.afsa.com/bac/GENL/EBilling.html
TheTrinity
Tokyo

TheTrinity  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2001, 09:12 PM

! S U C C E S S !

Here's the message I send to ASFA. It's a bit more aggressive than neurack's suggestion above, but it got their attention!

Mac OS supports Java and Java Script. I run several websites, and I know for a fact that Mac OS support open internet standards. I've used both Java and Java Script as a developer, and I know your programmers have no excuse for excluding Mac users.

Why should I have to pay a couple of hundred dollars to Microsoft in order to use your website?? All I want to do is pay back my school loans. In order to do that I need for get information through your website.

Is it AFSA's official policy to support Microsoft and exclude all customers that do not use the Microsoft operating system? Or can I expect this problem to be rectified in the future?
Today here's the response I received:
The MAC running IE should now work. Please try iy again.
TheTrinity
Tokyo

<IUJHJSDHEs lazy to log on>
Nov 9, 2001, 12:41 AM

Originally posted by TheTrinity:
<STRONG> ! S U C C E S S !

Here's the message I send to ASFA. It's a bit more aggressive than neurack's suggestion above, but it got their attention!

</STRONG>
But did they fix it, Does it now work?

Forum Links
Forum Rules