Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > emac airport card

emac airport card
Dex13
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2004, 02:44 PM

I got a 700 mhz emac here in the IT booth and was wondering what kind of card we can put in there ... can I put a 802.11g or does it have to be 802.11b?

I have two conflicting .pdf files that are telling me that either or will work. Does the 802.11g only work w/ ati graphics and beyond leaving the original looking for an 802.11b card somewhere?

trying to see if the emac will play nice w/ our network, but we need a card, so before dropping money I just wanted to double check that it does only take 802.11b.

- Dex13

discotronic
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2004, 04:45 PM

The eMac didn't start using AE until the 800MHz version that shipped after May 6, 2003. Looks like you are going to have to find an original Airport card. That's a shame since the price on them is so high.

storer
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2004, 04:49 PM

damn! good luck with finding one and getting it working.

toti
Sep 22, 2004, 05:22 PM

Originally posted by storer:
damn! good luck with finding one and getting it working.
What kind of comment is that ?

The AirPort is quite easy to get working. So easy in fact ( at least with OS X ) that I'd trust my computer illiterate family to do it by themselves.

Finding one might be harder, but I'd start by asking in computer stores that sell Apple products. They might have one in the back, since when the extreme cards came, apple directed everybody to pull the old cards from the shelves.

If you got no luck there, you could try eBay...

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2004, 05:48 PM

Originally posted by toti:
What kind of comment is that ?
The kind of comment that means:
you can not just go in a store and buy it. If you are lucky to find a *brandnew* card, it will most likely be overcharged.
Even on eBay, you will pay high prices for used ones.

-t

storer
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2004, 05:49 PM

What kind of comment is that?
its a happy, positive one.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2004, 05:51 PM

Originally posted by storer:
its a happy, positive one.

-t

Dex13  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2004, 07:27 PM

it isn't that I would have problems putting it together ....

but hey yeah thx ... saw a couple new ones for $118 .. i don't know if the IT department has a budget for that but i'll still ask.

Oh and how good is a GeForce 2MX, not hugely important but it's worth me asking.

discotronic
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2004, 11:57 PM

since when the extreme cards came, apple directed everybody to pull the old cards from the shelves.
Airport Extreme was introduced Jan. 2003. The last Mac to use the original Airport card
was the G3 iBook 900MHz which was discontinued Oct. 2003. What makes you think Apple told everybody to pull the original Airport from the shelves when AE was released? I seen them on the shelves until recently when Apple discontinued production. I am sure that they would still be out front for everyone to see if they where still being made.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2004, 07:24 AM

Bite the bullet and bid for one on ebay. They are going for around $100. Or try to get yourself a Sony PCWA-C150S card and use it in the airport slot. Just pop off the plastic piece that holds the antenna.

Or buy a Mac system that comes with the card, then sell the rest of the system.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

toti
Sep 23, 2004, 07:49 AM

Originally posted by discotronic:
Airport Extreme was introduced Jan. 2003. The last Mac to use the original Airport card
was the G3 iBook 900MHz which was discontinued Oct. 2003. What makes you think Apple told everybody to pull the original Airport from the shelves when AE was released? I seen them on the shelves until recently when Apple discontinued production. I am sure that they would still be out front for everyone to see if they where still being made.
What makes me think Apple told everybody to pull their cards is I was at Micro Anvika in London a week after the general release of the original Airport Extreme basestations and cards, looking for the original card, and they told me bluntly that they couldn't sell it to me since Apple had directed everybody to pull them.

So I guess my knowledge only comes from hearsay.. but with only one middleman, I think it's as accurate as you could get ?

Then maybe they misunderstood Apple ? What do I know

discotronic
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2004, 02:45 PM

What makes me think Apple told everybody to pull their cards is I was at Micro Anvika in London a week after the general release of the original Airport Extreme basestations and cards, looking for the original card, and they told me bluntly that they couldn't sell it to me since Apple had directed everybody to pull them.

So I guess my knowledge only comes from hearsay.. but with only one middleman, I think it's as accurate as you could get ?

Then maybe they misunderstood Apple ? What do I know
Someone was full of BS by telling you that. I don't see Apple telling anyone to pull a product that is still in production for anything other than abnormal circumstances. What kind of sense does that make? After the end of production the product would be pulled and most likely sold until they are gone. Your information you received was nothing but inaccurate.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2004, 03:30 PM

Xlr8YourMac.com reports that the Orinoco Gold or Silver cards work in the standard airport slot. If you pry off the antenna, you can attach the Apple antenna. DO a little research and you might be surprised to find a cheap solution.

Dex13  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2004, 08:11 PM

I was looking into the Orinoco Gold or Silver cards cause the silver is $50 and the gold $63, but I was wondering if someone has taken the antenna off, cause im worried about spending $50 and then having it been ruined by me taking the top apart ..

toti
Sep 23, 2004, 08:47 PM

I have the silver card here, and upon examination I can see that I can peel the plastic off, but the base extends to the length of the plastic, and so does the printed circuit board inside, so I'm not sure it would take the ripping apart without damage ( I only managed to lift the plastic up, but don't want to force it more apart since I might damage it, and I really want to keep using it... )

If there is about 1.5cm extra space in the eMac, you might well be able to fit the card unmodified..

Dex13  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2004, 02:02 AM

but I wouldn't be able to hook up the apple provided antenna?

toti
Sep 24, 2004, 06:51 AM

Yes you would, the Apple antenna connector is the same as the Lucent/Orinoco connectors. Those are standard things

The only problem may be the length of the card as I said before...

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 24, 2004, 08:16 PM

I can verify that a WaveLAN/Orinoco card works fine in the AirPort slot, but the protuberance isn't an antenna, it's part of the circuit board, and thus cannot be removed.

tooki

Dex13  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2004, 12:20 AM

Originally posted by tooki:
I can verify that a WaveLAN/Orinoco card works fine in the AirPort slot, but the protuberance isn't an antenna, it's part of the circuit board, and thus cannot be removed.

tooki
Thx both to you and toti, but as im trying to convince IT heads who are pc oriented, is there any graphical or textual evidence of this?

Note: Tooki, your word is as good as what I have asked for but as I have looked around I saw mainly the sony being demonstrated successfully using graphics and the one's using the Orinoco Cards w/ textual evidence and broken links to their independently made drivers.

toti
Sep 25, 2004, 08:46 AM

You may want to contact Sonnet ( http://www.sonnettech.com/about/contacts.html ) and ask them about the hardware support of their Aria Extreme card which is said to fit into the original length Airport slot og powerbooks ( still hearsay, so you may want to verify with them, I havn't seen it in action myself ).

It's also supposed to work directly without extra drivers, AND give you 802.11g

Dex13  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2004, 11:41 PM

Would all of these wireless cards work in the airport slot?

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2004, 06:20 PM

Originally posted by Dex13:
Would all of these wireless cards work in the airport slot?
Those appear to be cards that work with that particular driver. I would not expec them to work in the airport slot.

Forum Links
Forum Rules