Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > itunes fails to play after pause. (vista)

itunes fails to play after pause. (vista)
Dex13
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2007, 10:02 PM

Hey guys, this isn't on boot camp or parraellls or anything. I have a huge problem with Vista though about playing music that I have. I have used itunes (7.02) , wmp11, and winamp and all have come up short.
My problem:
(Music is on Internal)
Whenever I play music in any of the three players listed as soon as I press pause immediatley thereafter I cannot play anymore songs until I restart the application and in worse scenarios the os.
This doesn't make sense and im going crazy over this. Vista (Buisness) is really ticking me off and I have no idea how to work around this besides maybe going back to XP. I don't want to do that, but if I have to I guess I will.
If you need more information feel free to ask.

Thanks in Advance.
( Last edited by Dex13; Feb 24, 2007 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Accidently Hit SUbmit Early)

Northeastern292
Forum Regular
Feb 24, 2007, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Dex13 View Post
Hey guys, this isn't on boot camp or parraellls or anything. I have a huge problem with Vista though about playing music that I have. I have used itunes (7.02) , wmp11, and winamp and all have come up short.
My problem:
(Music is on Internal)
Whenever I play music in any of the three players listed as soon as I press pause immediatley thereafter I cannot play anymore songs until I restart the application and in worse scenarios the os.
This doesn't make sense and im going crazy over this. Vista (Buisness) is really ticking me off and I have no idea how to work around this besides maybe going back to XP. I don't want to do that, but if I have to I guess I will.
If you need more information feel free to ask.

Thanks in Advance.
You're going to need to rough it out a while until Apple releases iTunes for Vista. Did you try the Vista Repair Tool?

Just remembered, it only fixes permissions to play songs.
The Mac Collection:

Power Mac G4 Sawtooth at 450MHz, Power Mac G4 Gigabit Ethernet at 400MHz, three Power Mac FW800's at 1.0GHz, MacBook Pro at 2.0GHz, my late father's G3 iMac at 350MHz, an iMac at 500MHz, a PowerBook G4 (12-inch VGA) and a PowerBook 170

voiceofra
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2007, 01:39 AM

Vista's incompatabilities with iTunes and [insert almost any application here] is well known.
Apple has said to wait, they will be addressing Vista issues with iTunes.
Tis the price you pay for running a version 1.0 of an operating system.

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 3, 2007, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by voiceofra View Post
Vista's incompatabilities with iTunes and [insert almost any application here] is well known.
Apple has said to wait, they will be addressing Vista issues with iTunes.
Tis the price you pay for running a version 1.0 of an operating system.
How come I'm running Creative Suite 2, all of the Flash/Macromedia products, iTunes, and literally a dozen more mainstream Windows XP applications under bootcamp with Vista Ultimate with no problems if these problems are so well known and prevalent?

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2007, 12:42 AM

I suspect Apple is in no great hurry to update its apps to work correctly under Vista (can't really say I blame them; Microsoft has never played fair in terms of feature-parity, either).

But what I don't get is why some big houses like Adobe, Motorola and Google still haven't worked all the Vista bugs out of their apps. One thing I've noticed with some apps (specifically Photoshop Elements 5 and Picasa 2) is that some application preferences do not get saved correctly if you run the program as a standard user. For example, in Picasa 2, there is an option to turn on or off the Picasa media watcher (forgot what they call it exactly) - its a little system tray app that waits until you insert a removable media card with images on it, then auto-launches Picasa. I kept turning this off, but it would re-appear every time I rebooted. Finally discovered that if I ran Picasa as an administrator, set the preference, quit, then ran it as a standard user, the setting would stick.

Well, I guess Vista users are feeling what Mac users have felt for years. Annoys me more since I'm getting hit twice.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 4, 2007, 09:50 AM

I think it's important to point out that those "big houses" haven't all come out with Intel/Universal versions of their primary Mac apps, either. Sometimes it takes a lot of time to rebuild an application, and sometimes you can't get started until the OS you're writing for has been finalized. Sometimes both are in play.

In my experience, any new Microsoft OS needs several months at least before it becomes stable itself. I would never buy a new MS OS until I knew that my main uses for it were supported, including drivers for the hardware I already have and so on. Early adoption in this case is not a great idea. Just my 2¢ worth...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 4, 2007, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Cadaver View Post
But what I don't get is why some big houses like Adobe, Motorola and Google still haven't worked all the Vista bugs out of their apps. One thing I've noticed with some apps (specifically Photoshop Elements 5 and Picasa 2) is that some application preferences do not get saved correctly if you run the program as a standard user. For example, in Picasa 2, there is an option to turn on or off the Picasa media watcher (forgot what they call it exactly) - its a little system tray app that waits until you insert a removable media card with images on it, then auto-launches Picasa. I kept turning this off, but it would re-appear every time I rebooted. Finally discovered that if I ran Picasa as an administrator, set the preference, quit, then ran it as a standard user, the setting would stick.
This is actually supposed to be a selling point for Vista - preventing the average user from running an application that writes system systems. I don't recall what they call it at the moment, but I heard that most Windows XP consumer/prosumer users ran Windows as the administrator. Doing so has the potential to cause all sorts of problems, so Vista makes you specifically say "run as administrator" when running applications.

fwiw.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2007, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by danbrew View Post
This is actually supposed to be a selling point for Vista - preventing the average user from running an application that writes system systems. I don't recall what they call it at the moment, but I heard that most Windows XP consumer/prosumer users ran Windows as the administrator. Doing so has the potential to cause all sorts of problems, so Vista makes you specifically say "run as administrator" when running applications.

fwiw.

No, I understand all this.
But recompiling an application to be a Universal Binary is a lot different than recoding an application to save preferences in user space rather than system space.
And unlike Apple's oft secret development time tables, Vista has been available to developers for quite a while, even as a finalized RTM version. I'm not expecting miracles overnight, but geez, you'd think that the developer of Picasa could at least make one minor change. But then again... its all about money. And if the money (er, customer) isn't using Vista, don't bother.

And yes, Windows XP's default user accounts were administrator level. And most apps wouldn't work correctly if you tried to run them as a non-admin user. Vista attempts to correct this, much the way MacOS X does by making you authenticate with an admin password any time you do something outside user space.

The difference between OS X and Vista here is that OS X always asks for an admin password, regardless of whether the account your using as an admin or standard. In Vista, if you're running as a standard user, you get an admin password box just like OS X. If you're an admin user, you get an OK/Cancel dialog box instead of a password box.

Windows users are not used to this, so they are pretty annoyed. Mac OS X users, on the other hand, are pretty used to it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules