Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Unsettling Hard drive noise

Unsettling Hard drive noise
rob5243
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 14, 2003, 06:39 PM

I have a G4 466 digital audio with a 30 GB drive, and within the past couple of weeks it has begun to emit a high-pitched whine. It's not that loud, but I can definitely notice it. The pitch stays the same, but the loudness sometimes fluctuates.

I know it's the hard drive because the noise stops when the disk spins down. The rest of the computer seems to be running fine; no system problems that I've found. I'm just concerned that something is going wrong with my drive.

The computer is only a little over two years old, hopefully the drive is ok. I believe it's a maxtor, but I'm not sure. It's whatever came with the computer as I ordered it from apple.

I have backed up my data just in case, but this would be a bad time to have to re-installl everything.

rob5243  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 17, 2003, 05:42 PM

It went away for a day and it's back today.....weird.

bri-guy
Oct 17, 2003, 06:54 PM

You should probably keep making regular backups just in case the drive dies on you. Weird noises are usually a good indicator of impending hard drive death.

Forum Links
Forum Rules