Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Why can't Apple make rubber feet that stay on?

Why can't Apple make rubber feet that stay on?
iBook2
Forum Regular
Nov 5, 2003, 08:35 PM

I have a 17" Powerbook G4 and I have lost one of the rubber feet and the plug the rubber feet stick to (Apple calls it a leg!). I have called Apple and they say that the plug itself is molded to the case, so it needs to be shipped in for repair! So I would have to be out of a computer for 5 days!!! What a joke! Apple should have used the feet and legs they use on the iBooks! So I will most likely just take out the remainder 3 feet to make it level. Has anyone else had a similar problem?

spatterson
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2003, 08:38 PM

My buddies iBook lost all 4 "legs". He took it into the Apple store and they replaced the "legs" that fell off! Hope that helps!

cobra7869
Nov 5, 2003, 09:55 PM

I have a REV A PB 12" and one foot fell off. Luckily it was in my briefcase, so I pulled the remaining three off and then SUPERGLUED them all back on.

Been in place ever since.
PowerBook G4 (12-inch): (Rev A) Current Mac
Original iPod, 15GB 3rd Gen, Two iPod Minis (Silver and Pink(for the wife))

hardcat1970
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 5, 2003, 10:12 PM

Exactly. I lost 3 feets in my pismo, and i tried to glue them back, but they fell off again.

This time around, i am going to take good care to my 12", but it is so sad. I look at my colleague's sony vaio and its feets are so solid and i think it is much durable than the powerbook.

Link
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2003, 10:50 PM

why? So if you use it on your bare legs it leaves a sticky mark
Aloha

RayX
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 5, 2003, 10:52 PM

Two rubber feet on my Powerbook 17" came off, I super-glued them back on, and they are now many, many times stronger than before.

Apple do not attach or glue them on well enough.

(If anyone is wondering how they fell off, I meant to lift the Powerbook slightly and reposition it, but I accidently slid it to one side, causing the back two feet to pop off.)

Never slide or push your powerbook on a table when you want to move it, this is what the rubber feet try and prevent.

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2003, 10:54 PM

Stop sliding your flipping laptop on the table then god. lol I mean really. I have a reva and none of my feet fall off. Why in the hell would you slide it anyway. Just pick the machine up and set it down in the place where you want it. Nothing is perfect.
MacBook Pro 15" Rev B | 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 2GB Mem | 160GB HD | Display 15 Glossy Widescreen Display
iPod Mini Green | 35 gigs of music :-)
HP DV1040us Laptop | 1.6 Pentium M | 1GB RAM | Centrino

hardcat1970
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 5, 2003, 11:08 PM

Originally posted by LfGrdMike:
Stop sliding your flipping laptop on the table then god. lol I mean really. I have a reva and none of my feet fall off. Why in the hell would you slide it anyway. Just pick the machine up and set it down in the place where you want it. Nothing is perfect.
experience laptop users will pick up the powerbook. But at work, where most people, mostly haven' t got a laptop before, are amazed by my 12", they tend to slide my machine toward them and i can't just tell them to f** off, but later on i did tell them be careful with the feet though.

cobra27
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2003, 12:25 AM

Originally posted by hardcat1970:
experience laptop users will pick up the powerbook. But at work, where most people, mostly haven' t got a laptop before, are amazed by my 12", they tend to slide my machine toward them and i can't just tell them to f** off, but later on i did tell them be careful with the feet though.
Very true! The main reason why people slide laptops (at least at my work place) is to share the screen or presentation etc.

One idea on what do to when you anticipate that people will want to look at your laptop is to place it on top of a piece of paper (you'll usually have them during meetings anyway). Then just slide the PB together with the paper to them. Guarantee to save you heartaches later .

Link
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2003, 01:52 AM

Just reglue them. it seems universal. I've had the rubber feet come off my cinema display before (no joke) when I moved it over, just a little.. it was funny because it reminded me of a car with a flat tire. XD
Aloha

tisoncam
Nov 6, 2003, 02:30 AM

If you get Apple to send you replacement feet the kit includes Krazy Glue to reattach the feet. I now carry a tube of it in my PB bag--just in case.

acadian
Senior User
Nov 6, 2003, 03:39 AM

I just bought a pack of little foam bumpers that are made for cabinet doors. Superglued them to the bottom of each foot. They slide better and raise the book slightly more.
people ruin everything....

HiRez
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2003, 06:11 AM

Had a PowerBook 2400c, the feet fell off, had a Pismo, the feet fell off, now I have a TiBook 800, first foot fell off. I am very careful about lifting and not sliding too. Seriously, Apple has a problem here, and they always have. No, it's not a critical flaw but it's quite annoying and really, there is no excuse for it. There ARE designs that would work to keep the feet on! Same thing with the PowerBook hinges, why can't they ever seem to get those right since they stopped Pismo production?

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it through not dying." --Woody Allen

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2003, 12:35 PM

All 4 of the ones on my PBG412" have fallen off, and Apple claims they sent out the kit three times. The first time, they sent me a kit for the Ti, and I never received it the second or third time. Since I have to call an 0870 (read: national rate) number and pester them because their technicians are inept and don't understand what the problem is despite the fact I clearly give them my incident numbers and explain the problem, I have given up.

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2003, 06:32 PM

My TiPB 400 just melted the back-right foot.

Still there, just degraded...

phantomo
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 6, 2003, 10:10 PM

Somehow, my PB feet's color turned brownish after the first 2 day of ownership. I put it in the sleeve after use and take good care of it. Somehow the material used for the feet are not that great as well.
15"MBP/C2D2.4GHz/4GB RAM/320GB HD
15"MBP/C2D2.16GHz/3GB RAM/250GB HD
12"PB/1GHz/768MB/60GB/SuperDrive/AE
iPhone 8GB/iPod video 30GB

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 6, 2003, 10:45 PM

Well, I've lost two feet (and no legs) on my PB17 after only 6 months. I do not drag my PB, and I have no idea where they are. It's good to know Apple'll send out a repair kit.

Forum Links
Forum Rules