Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > DOH!! Lost Torx screw

DOH!! Lost Torx screw
indigo
Nov 7, 2003, 04:15 AM

Boy do I feel like a dolt. I decided to extend the lifespan of my trusty ole Pismo by dropping a larger HD into it. In the process, I lost one of the Torx screws used to attach the drive to the drive tray.
I can't honestly say I've ever seen them at my local computer shop. Are they difficult to find? Or is it just like going to your local Home Depot and finding just the right screw. Anyone know where I can get a replacement?
Thanks in advance
( Last edited by indigo; Nov 7, 2003 at 04:26 AM. )

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 7, 2003, 10:07 AM

You'll have to go to an Apple service center and convince them to order you the service part.

Or just ignore it... 3 screws of 4 will be just fine, really.

tooki

romeosc
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2003, 12:32 AM

Home Depot has them (may have to settle on Phillips head if so get 4 so they will all be same!

beefstu01
Nov 8, 2003, 02:31 AM

What's the advantage of using Torx over phillips? I never really understood that, they seem like the same screw, but different head. I also wonder why they're particularly "useful" in the automotive sector.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 8, 2003, 03:06 PM

Originally posted by romeosc:
Home Depot has them (may have to settle on Phillips head if so get 4 so they will all be same!
Have you seen the screws Apple uses on its laptop's drives? They're very unusual (their purpose being to cradle the drive in rubber grommets). I doubt Home Depot would have them.

As for Torx vs Phillips: Phillips needs to DIE! Torx screws don't strip or slip, and the screwdriver holds the screw better, too.

tooki

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2003, 06:40 PM

I agree with tooki - Torx kick Phillips' ass all the way to... uh... someplace far away. Like the moon. That's it, Torx kicks Phillips all the way to the moon.

Anyway, I took apart my PowerBook 520c to upgrade the RAM from 12 MB to 20 MB, and an internal component was broken and wouldn't allow me to put the two screws back in. So my 520c has two fewer screws... still runs fine. I used it just the other day to take notes and write an outline for a speech in a coffee shop.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

spitty27
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 8, 2003, 08:34 PM

what size torx screwdriver is best for the powerbook (pismo)? my hinges for the screen are busted and i would like to tighten them. also, can you use that same torx for the harddrive and all the other weird screws they put in the machine?

i know for the ram you can use a flathead
| MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo | 4GB Memory | 8x DL Superdrive | NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 256MB SDRAM | 160GB Internal running Leopard 10.5.6 | 500GB External | AirportExtreme + Bluetooth 2.0 | Logitech MxRevolution | Casio Exilim EX z75 | iPhone 3G Black |

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 9, 2003, 12:21 PM

There isn't one "best" size -- Torx either fits or it doesn't. Apple uses several sizes.

Don't use a flathead on the RAM screws. Use the proper jeweller's Phillips. Those screws are very delicate and easy to strip, and essentially impossible to replace.

Go to Sears and buy their jeweller's screwdriver kit with Torx (there's one kit without Torx, one with) -- it has all the unusual screwdrivers you need for PowerBook work (well, that is, until Apple also started using Allen as well).

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules