Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > multi - button apple mouse: Here's the perfect solution

multi - button apple mouse: Here's the perfect solution
laxthxdude
Forum Regular
Mar 16, 2004, 08:39 PM

Given that Apple just apparently patented a touch pad equivalent to what they use on the iPod (but on a mouse), its not hard to see what they are going to do.

Take a mouse (something like M$'s popular ir-3button model. Replace the buttons and scroll wheel with touch sensative pads, identical to the iPods. 100% programmable via software. Want 1 button mouse, check the box. Want to turn the mouse into a 2 button mouse with a scroll wheel in the middle? Check the box. Want a 5 button mouse with buttons on the side? Check the box. Really, anything you want is possible.

This is my guess for the replacement of the apple pro mouse and first ever multi button apple mouse (of course, 1 button setting from the factory, you program it as you want when you go into system preferences...). Its a win-win situtation. Apple releases a truely inovative product (no ones done this before), they solve the issue of some people wanting single button mice while others want a muti buttom mouse; it has no moving parts and it completely controlled by you to any configuration you want. Want a hot spot for Expose triggering? Program it trigger expose when you tap both fingers down at the same time. Possibilites are endless.

Anyways, thats my thoughts...

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2004, 09:36 PM

Would be interesting if true. If true...

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2004, 09:51 PM

a nice idea, but i could see problems arising. mainly, I, at least (and i assume many others) rest my fingers on the buttons all the time. This might be a problem with the "buttons" since it would inadvertently click sometimes. It could use the same method used on touchpads where you tap it to click, but i never thought those worked very well. if implemented well, it could be very cool though

"I start fires!"

Link
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2004, 11:08 PM

I have a more interesting proposal.. thnk of it as a mouse with programmable regions

preferable 2 with a center that can be used to scroll, anyway, you could program them through options so that it works like you said, BUT.

Instead of having it based only on the touch/heat sensors, have it based on two things..

Basically, if your finger was on the left sensor, but the mouse wasn't pushed down, nothing would happen...

holding the mouse down with finger on the said sensor would trigger a drag..

Think of it where the 3 sensors act as switches, changing what happens when you actually click the mouse. Once the mouse's main buton is depressed, the choice will stick until you let go.

Very cool idea huh?
Aloha

dracoleb
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 17, 2004, 03:21 AM

You know, that sounds like a really good idea. they can keep the same design they have now, just replace the outer shell with the sensor material. Do you think they can curve it or would they have to be flat, then have an angular mouse?
"To create a new standard takes something that's not just a little bit different. It takes something that's really new and captures people's imaginations. Macintosh meets that standard"- Bill Gates

Jens Peter
Senior User
Mar 17, 2004, 09:15 AM

A very good idea. I think, I would get one of those...

paully dub
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2004, 11:43 AM

A bit overkill. Sounds like a novelty/luxory item.

It'd no doubt be expensive compared to the average two button scroll wheel job most folks have or want. Would it sell enough to make even a modest profit? I doubt it. I have this mouse that I bought 4 years ago and it still works perfectly.

That said it's an intersting idea.

Adopt-A-Yankee

Eciton
Forum Regular
Mar 17, 2004, 01:51 PM

Sounds like a really interesting idea! I love the thought of being able to reconfigure it without having to buy more hardware. It would also be possible to move where the 'buttons' were located, making it more comfortable for lefties or those with different-sized hands, and the whole button-chording idea is brilliant: push down while pinching the mouse to cut, then even use movements - slide the fingers outwards to 'drop' the text (paste). There's already a touch-sensitive keyboard for RSI sufferers that uses these gestures, so it's possible, although the added expense would make it a pretty unlikely default option, as most users would never take advantage of the full possibilities.

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2004, 03:52 AM

Very interesting idea. However, I have enough trouble with the over- and under-sensitivity of the iPod touch buttons and scroll wheel. Especially for a mouse, I prefer buttons that give a clear indication of when they've been pressed.

Link
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2004, 01:45 AM

And thus my point on push to click still makes sense See using heat sensors would probably be VERY easy to do, and if you had it in defualt mode the clicks wouldnt't register until you pushed down the 'button' hehe

Thanks for giving me the inspiration for the idea, hey maybe we should try making one and split the extra profit rofl
Aloha

dracoleb
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 19, 2004, 04:03 AM

Just as a bit of info though, touch pads do not register heat, they register the capacitance difference between your finger and the air.
"To create a new standard takes something that's not just a little bit different. It takes something that's really new and captures people's imaginations. Macintosh meets that standard"- Bill Gates

Forum Links
Forum Rules