Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Weird DVD-R Behaviour

Weird DVD-R Behaviour
indigo
May 2, 2004, 01:32 PM

I've got a Quicksilver with a Pioneer 106 combo DVD burner. I'm running 10.3.3. I burn mostly data backups using Toast to Ritek DVDs. Since updating to 10.3.3, whenever I burn a DVD-R with Toast, the DVD will mount immediately after burning. If I eject the disk and reinsert it, the disk will not mount. Instead, the disk gets immediately spit out of the drive.

Oddly enough, if I put the same DVD into my Pismo, also running 10.3.3, I have no problems mounting the disk.

Any ideas on how I can get my DVD-R's to mount once again on my Quicksilver?
Thanks!

romeosc
Mac Elite
May 2, 2004, 03:37 PM

Originally posted by indigo:
I've got a Quicksilver with a Pioneer 106 combo DVD burner. I'm running 10.3.3. I burn mostly data backups using Toast to Ritek DVDs. Since updating to 10.3.3, whenever I burn a DVD-R with Toast, the DVD will mount immediately after burning. If I eject the disk and reinsert it, the disk will not mount. Instead, the disk gets immediately spit out of the drive.

Oddly enough, if I put the same DVD into my Pismo, also running 10.3.3, I have no problems mounting the disk.

Any ideas on how I can get my DVD-R's to mount once again on my Quicksilver?
Thanks!
Try making sure that toast is not runnning. Sometimes Toast will think that you want to burn DVD-r.

indigo  (op)
May 2, 2004, 05:45 PM

It doesn't really seem to matter if Toast is running or not. It usually occurs after I have burned the DVD-R with Toast. Once the disk is completely burned, it will mount and appear on my desktop. If I eject the disk and re-insert it, it will be be spit out after a couple of seconds. I'm not sure where to look in the logs to see what is going on during this time as the 'puter is choking on the disk. Again, if I put the same DVD-R into my Pismo, it will mount without any difficulties.

msuper69
Professional Poster
May 2, 2004, 07:34 PM

Open Console to see what messages might be in there.

indigo  (op)
May 2, 2004, 10:57 PM

Which log within console am I interested in? There are more logs in there than I realized. I didn't see anything obvious that would tip me off to what is causing the DVD-R's to not mount.

msuper69
Professional Poster
May 2, 2004, 11:05 PM

Which log within console am I interested in? There are more logs in there than I realized. I didn't see anything obvious that would tip me off to what is causing the DVD-R's to not mount.
System and Console would be the first places I would look.

indigo  (op)
May 3, 2004, 08:41 PM

So, I checked the above mentioned parts of the logs. Unfortunately, I didn't see any new additions after inserting one of my recently burned DVD-R's.

Any further ideas? Data back-ups are kind of pointless if you can't access the disk to which you backed up your data.

indigo  (op)
May 5, 2004, 11:58 PM

An update:
I zapped the PRAM with no change in behavior. I also created a new user, but this did not alter the drive's ability to see DVD-Rs that it used to mount without problem. I also booted to earlier versions of X, including 10.2, 10.2.8, and 10.3. Under all of these versions of X, the disk would be spit back out after about 15 seconds. I also tried putting in a commercially produced DVD -- the movie The Usual Suspects (a great movie IMO ). At first, the drive did not even acknowledge that a DVD had been inserted. After several minutes, the drive spun up and started to play. The console logs showed the following when the disk started to play:
May 5 23:44:31 localhost diskarbitrationd[116]: disk5 udf 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000 USUALFF /Volumes/USUALFF
May 5 23:44:32 localhost kernel: SAM Multimedia: READ or WRITE failed, ASC = 0x00, ASCQ = 0x00
May 5 23:44:33 localhost last message repeated 4 times
May 5 23:44:33 localhost kernel: disk5: I/O error.

Any ideas what this might mean?

msuper69
Professional Poster
May 6, 2004, 12:19 AM

... The console logs showed the following when the disk started to play:
May 5 23:44:31 localhost diskarbitrationd[116]: disk5 udf 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000 USUALFF /Volumes/USUALFF
May 5 23:44:32 localhost kernel: SAM Multimedia: READ or WRITE failed, ASC = 0x00, ASCQ = 0x00
May 5 23:44:33 localhost last message repeated 4 times
May 5 23:44:33 localhost kernel: disk5: I/O error.

Any ideas what this might mean?
If the same disks play on other Macs w/o any errors in the logs, I would begin to suspect the drive itself is going bad. I/O errors are not a good thing.

indigo  (op)
May 6, 2004, 12:25 AM

Yes, all disks tried thus far work in other drives. It seems odd to me that the movie DVD will function after a couple of minutes and that I can still burn DVDs without any problem. Is it normal for the read ability of a drive to go before the burning capability?

msuper69
Professional Poster
May 6, 2004, 01:59 AM

Yes, all disks tried thus far work in other drives. It seems odd to me that the movie DVD will function after a couple of minutes and that I can still burn DVDs without any problem. Is it normal for the read ability of a drive to go before the burning capability?
I don't know but it doesn't seem out of the realm of possiblity.

Forum Links
Forum Rules