Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > DVD Woes in a Quicksilver

DVD Woes in a Quicksilver
indigo
May 2, 2004, 05:48 PM

Not sure if this is the best forum for this issue, but here goes ...

I've got a Quicksilver with a Pioneer 106 combo DVD burner. I'm running 10.3.3. I burn mostly data backups using Toast to Ritek DVDs. Since updating to 10.3.3, whenever I burn a DVD-R with Toast, the DVD will mount immediately after burning. If I eject the disk and reinsert it, the disk will not mount. Instead, the disk gets immediately spit out of the drive.

Oddly enough, if I put the same DVD into my Pismo, also running 10.3.3, I have no problems mounting the disk.

Any ideas on how I can get my DVD-R's to mount once again on my Quicksilver?
Thanks!

littlegreenspud
Senior User
May 4, 2004, 10:09 AM

It is a long shot, but have you tried cleaning the lens in the DVD burner?

indigo  (op)
May 4, 2004, 10:13 AM

I had the same thought just the other day. Guess it goes to show that great minds think alike. Unfortunately, cleaning the lens did not alter the behavior of the drive. It still spits out the recently burned DVD-R's a couple of seconds after inserting them. FWIW, I checked the logs in console. I did not see any new entries in the system or console log when I inserted the disk.

I'd really love some suggestions if anyone has some. Thanks.

Boochie
Mac Enthusiast
May 4, 2004, 10:24 AM

How did you clean the lens?

indigo  (op)
May 4, 2004, 10:26 AM

I used one of those DVD lens cleaner disks. I think it was from Fellowes.

Boochie
Mac Enthusiast
May 4, 2004, 02:58 PM

How does that work? Presumably the lens sits some distance away from the surface of the disk.

indigo  (op)
May 4, 2004, 03:04 PM

It's a CD with a couple of little spine type things that stick out from the bottom. I've used it on a previous CD burner with decent results (ie. it didn't destroy my drive).

Boochie
Mac Enthusiast
May 5, 2004, 08:50 AM

OK, thanks. My burner has been acting strange on me lately, and I'm thinking it might be a dust issue. I'll try one of these cleaner thingies and hope it doesn't destroy my drive.

indigo  (op)
May 6, 2004, 12:00 AM

An update:
I zapped the PRAM with no change in behavior. I also created a new user, but this did not alter the drive's ability to see DVD-Rs that it used to mount without problem. I also booted to earlier versions of X, including 10.2, 10.2.8, and 10.3. Under all of these versions of X, the disk would be spit back out after about 15 seconds. I also tried putting in a commercially produced DVD -- the movie The Usual Suspects (a great movie IMO ). At first, the drive did not even acknowledge that a DVD had been inserted. After several minutes, the drive spun up and started to play. The console logs showed the following when the disk started to play:
May 5 23:44:31 localhost diskarbitrationd[116]: disk5 udf 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000 USUALFF /Volumes/USUALFF
May 5 23:44:32 localhost kernel: SAM Multimedia: READ or WRITE failed, ASC = 0x00, ASCQ = 0x00
May 5 23:44:33 localhost last message repeated 4 times
May 5 23:44:33 localhost kernel: disk5: I/O error.

Any ideas what this might mean?

CIA
Mac Elite
May 8, 2004, 10:58 AM

Sell the burner on eBay as is and buy a nice new 107.
Work: 2008 8x3.2 MacPro, 8800GT, 16GB ram, zillions of HDs. (video editing)
Home: 2008 24" 2.8 iMac, 2TB Int, 4GB ram.
Road: 2009 13" 2.26 Macbook Pro, 8GB ram & 640GB WD blue internal
Retired to BOINC only: My trusty never-gonna-die 12" iBook G4 1.25

indigo  (op)
May 8, 2004, 12:34 PM

I've already bought a new 107. Just finished installing it. So far all disks are mounting just fine.

Selling the 106 on Ebay is a little bit wrong don't you think? I know it is not working correctly.

Person Man
Professional Poster
May 10, 2004, 05:29 PM

Originally posted by indigo:
Selling the 106 on Ebay is a little bit wrong don't you think? I know it is not working correctly.
Not if you state that it is not working correctly (explain exactly what is wrong with it), and sell it "as is."

You may not get much money for it, but you'll probably get something.

Forum Links
Forum Rules