Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G5 Fan Squeak Driving Me Crazy!

G5 Fan Squeak Driving Me Crazy!
mysteriousal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 25, 2004, 07:45 PM

Sorry to type the subject all in caps, but it really is driving me nuts.

I have a very faint squeaking coming from my front fans (G5 dual 2.0).

It's hardly noticable- but i sit very close to my machine, and when working in silence very late at night.... I find it crazy distracting when I need to concentrate.

I've pulled the fans out when I fitted new RAM, and was wondering if a drop or two of multi-purpose oil would help...?

Ordinarily I'd do this straight away, But I've noticed that the fans motors are part of the spindles themselves.... Would putting a drop of oil in there do any damage?

My only other option is to call apple.... But I'm sure that any fans they send me will be just as noisy as these....

It's definitely a mechanical sounding 'squeak', by the way.... Not an electronic sound...

Anyone else noticed anything like this? Anyone try oiling their fans?

bighead
Senior User
Jul 25, 2004, 08:24 PM

I've never heard fan squeak before in a G5. If it is as bad as you say, fans are considered a CIP by Apple, I believe, so you can do the "repair" yourself if they send you a new set. They're MADE to be quiet, and I've not seen them anything but quiet. I'd not put oil into any part of your G5.
the bighead

- MacBook Pro 15" matte non-unibody 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, 120/SSD & 750GB/7200
- PM G4 Dual 1.25 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 1x320 boot, 1x2TB TM Backup - 2x1TB & 2x3TB Archive/Backup

davidflas
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2004, 08:26 PM

my 2 week old Rev A. dual 1.8Ghz does the same thing.. I wonder which fan is making the noise....
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

mysteriousal  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 25, 2004, 08:32 PM

Thanks for the help, both of you...

The problem is not that bad, but I guess it could get worse.

Do I phone apple? Or the store I bought my machine from? (Square, London)

Oh god. I hate phoning customer service.... I hope they don't make me send the fans in.... Or the whole machine. I need my machine for work every day. Should I just try and live with the noise?

BTW: I think it's the front fans, as the noise is loudest there....

Sparkletron
Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2004, 06:35 PM

If it's a high-pitched humming noise, then it may be an "unbalanced" LC circuit. Check the coils on the mobo. Unfortunately, most of the coils will probably be in the inaccessible power supply area.

-S

mysteriousal  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2004, 07:21 PM

Nope, it is a definite fan squeak.

I'm gonna phone apple tomorrow. How annoying.

rob5243
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 27, 2004, 11:25 PM

I seem to be having the same problem on my new dual 2.0 rev. B which I got two days ago. Seems to happen a lot when i'm resizing windows. Weird.

ss1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2004, 07:59 PM

I've had the same thing with the rear fans of my G5 1.6. But it seem to have stopped by itself and hasn't reappeared at all for the last several months.
G5 1.6, 1.5 Gig RAM, Raedon 9600, 23" Aluminium Apple Cinema Display.

mac freak
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2004, 01:50 PM

I have it, too, on my rev. A DP1.8. Very rhythmic. However, when I'm actually absorbed by something (work or play), I don't notice it. Even when I'm not, it's very quiet...
Be happy.

BurpetheadX
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 1, 2004, 04:14 PM

happens on mine too..its like a "squeak.....squeak...squeak-squeak" kinda deal. I only notice it cause I have the machine right next to me.

TackMan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 5, 2004, 08:03 AM

I thought I should add my experience on the squeak.

I ordered a Dual 2Ghz, and noticed in the first few days the constant sqeak, sqeak, squeak. I thought it was the fans, but then noticed that if I changed processor performance in System Prefs to Highest the squeak, squeak got very loud INSTANTLY, and also quientened down when I changed it back, INSTANTLY. I then realised that it cannot be the fans.

I took it back to my friendly (but incompetent) Apple reseller, they DOAed it! And sheepishly said there was an issue with the machine.

Now, finally, I have a replacement, and it is silent.

So, be warned, it may not be the fans, but something more sinister!

rob5243
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 5, 2004, 08:37 AM

Originally posted by TackMan:
I thought I should add my experience on the squeak.

I ordered a Dual 2Ghz, and noticed in the first few days the constant sqeak, sqeak, squeak. I thought it was the fans, but then noticed that if I changed processor performance in System Prefs to Highest the squeak, squeak got very loud INSTANTLY, and also quientened down when I changed it back, INSTANTLY. I then realised that it cannot be the fans.

I took it back to my friendly (but incompetent) Apple reseller, they DOAed it! And sheepishly said there was an issue with the machine.

Now, finally, I have a replacement, and it is silent.

So, be warned, it may not be the fans, but something more sinister!
Damn. I tried that very same thing in system prefs and got the exact same results as you. Earlier this week I had taken my computer back to the apple store to have it looked at, and the guy was clueless as to the origin and effect of the sound. He told me not to worry, that it wouldn't harm the machine whatever it was, but now i'm worried.

Forum Links
Forum Rules