Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Total Weirdness with new G5?

Total Weirdness with new G5?
Zimwy
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 16, 2004, 03:32 PM

Hi,
I got a BRAND NEW G5 about two weeks ago now and ever since it came it's been acting mighty weird. Within about 5 minutes of use, when I tried to empty the trash, instead of having the Finder icon like here:

it just had a random icon of pictures I had downloaded. Not even logging out would change it back so I had to restart. After a bit more of that, I decided I need to clean install. So, I did that, but then shortly afterwards, I scanned in a picture for someone, and OS X decided that my documents folder really wanted to have that picture as its icon. Also, if I'm downloading a file in safari, it often gets a very pixely copy of the Network icon. So I rebooted again and that went away. Then I downloaded SDL to install it. It came in a zip file which for some reason had the developer tools icon, and then I checked my "Computer" Section of the file system and as you can see here so does the network:

Also, when I tried to install SDL, it just flat out wouldn't install SDL.framework into my Library/Frameworks folder, so I thought maybe there were disk permission problems. So, I then tried to repair disk permissions, but it takes about 3 seconds to finish 1/6th of the progress bar, and then stops for 3 hours. It's a 250 Gig MAXTOR.

I'm totally lost. Does anybody have any ideas? Maybe there's something just horrible wrong with my HD? Disk utility won't even finish.

Thanks,
gabe

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2004, 03:41 PM

Originally posted by Zimwy:
Disk utility won't even finish.
I think you better send it in, that sucks

Zimwy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 16, 2004, 03:50 PM

Originally posted by Powaqqatsi:
I think you better send it in, that sucks
Really? It's not like repairing permissions is supposed to take around 10 hours? (I've only waited for 3 so far.)

gabe

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2004, 03:57 PM

Originally posted by Zimwy:
Really? It's not like repairing permissions is supposed to take around 10 hours? (I've only waited for 3 so far.)

gabe
No not at all, it takes 10minutes max on my system (a PowerBook 867 with a 40GB 4200rpm drive, so it should be a lot faster on your system anyway).

rob5243
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 18, 2004, 12:36 PM

Occaisionally a couple of my icons will get switched with random pictures, but it returns to normal after a restart.

Forum Links
Forum Rules