Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > MDD G4 - Second Optical Drive Not Recognized

MDD G4 - Second Optical Drive Not Recognized
Jansar
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2005, 04:10 PM

I have 2 disc drives in my computer, a Superdrive on the top and a Combo Drive on the bottom. For some reason, my computer has chosen not to recognize my Combo drive, so I can't use it (it also doesn't show up on the eject menu in the top right corner of the screen). Would anyone know what the problem is here? Thank you.
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2005, 05:46 PM

Have you checked the jumper settings? I think the Superdrive should be set to master and the Combo drive should be set to slave. If that doesn't work, you can check to make sure the Combo drive works at all by swapping the two drives' positions.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

SSharon
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2005, 08:54 PM

In addition, I think there is an option to remove the menu listing the eject options so check profiler to make sure the drive is there and don't base your thoughts on whether the menu is there or not.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2005, 01:52 PM

The MDD G4s support cable select. If you set the second drive to slave, then the first one may have still been set to cable select, which would confuse things. You should either set them both to cable select, or properly set one as master and the other as slave.

Also, you can switch the two drives and see what happens. In IDE, the Master device controls the Slave device, so if switching it makes it work, then the one that doesn't work as master is bad.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Forum Links
Forum Rules