Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > PCI IDE Adaptor card suggestions?

PCI IDE Adaptor card suggestions?
rlubbat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2002, 02:16 AM

I want to add another couple of hard drives to my blue and white G3. Can anyone recommend a PCI card that will let me hook up a couple of IDE drives in my Macintosh?

Thanks!
Ramsey

tullamore
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 5, 2002, 03:44 AM

I use the Sonnet Temp ATA/100 that I bought from Other World Computing. I am using it in my G4 in OS 9 and OS X, it needs no drivers and has no problems. I was using it just fine in my PM 8500 a while ago too.

indigo
Jan 6, 2002, 03:24 AM

I would recommend checking out the database over at xlr8yourmac.com. I've tried two PCI IDE cards. The first one I tried was the VST/SmartDisk UltraTek 66 PCI card. The card worked great under 9, but could not be recognized under X. VST/SmartDisk initially stated they were working on providing support for the card under X, but recently announced they would not be supporting it.

This led me to purchase the Acard PCI IDE card from OWC. I've been using the card for about a month now and am quite pleased with it. It is supported under OS 9 and X , natively. The card is also upgradeable to support ATA 133 instead of ATA 100. In addition, I've found my read/write speeds to be pretty good.
I've heard good things about the Sonnet card, but chose the Acard one because I found a good deal on it. Can't say I regret the decision one bit

HanSolo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2002, 01:16 PM

I just got a Maxtor 80GB drive with a "free" Ultra ATA/133 PCI card inside the box. I'm a little leery of plugging it into my G4 tower to "test" it -- I don't need to accidently screw up the drive. Anyone have experience with this card? Any suggestions for drivers? (Do I even need them? This is new to me.) TIA.

Forum Links
Forum Rules