Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Nintendo Revolution

Nintendo Revolution (Page 5)
Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2005, 02:39 AM

As the official unveiling gets near, i seem more convinced that the controller, at worst, will be a modified gamecube controller(why fix what aint broken?)....more ergonomic, wireless and gyros. At best we can expect a radical new, simplified design(better button layout, etc), along with gyros, etc.But ill be happy with the prior, as long as i dont have to buy batteries for the controller ill be happy.
That would lead to a $40-$60 price point for controllers imo.

The mighty-mouse-like buttons.....whats the point ? it'll probably be more expensive, and it'll have the same functionality without the physical feedback of buttons. Not good business.

As far as that dude...arent those games like exclusive on the XBox ?

meelk
Baninated
Aug 31, 2005, 02:55 AM

more ergonomic? better button layout? Aside from the placement of the Z trigger, the wavebird is perfect, imo.

Also, I dont see the need for gamecube controller ports on the system if the controller would just be a redesigned wavebird. I expect it to be significantly different in various ways.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2005, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by meelk
more ergonomic? better button layout? Aside from the placement of the Z trigger, the wavebird is perfect, imo.

Also, I dont see the need for gamecube controller ports on the system if the controller would just be a redesigned wavebird. I expect it to be significantly different in various ways.
Damn good point. so now im back to sqaure one...no idea what to expect. lol.....and makes me wonder as well...if they have wired controller ports, and wireless controllers....how many ppl can play a single game on a single console...

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2005, 10:24 PM

I really wan to see a preview of this game system while I`m here in Japan. I`ll be heading to the Tokyo Game Show next month and if I`m lucky I`ll see the Revolution and PS3 in action. Or at least a few games.

Hmmmm.... video game heaven....

Link
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2005, 10:28 PM

And all this time I always thought the GC controller ports were so that you could just grab your GC controllers and use them for 2nd/3rd player instead of having to buy new ones.
Aloha

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2005, 12:25 AM

Myabe they are. Nintendo could have included support for GCN controllers to enable a 'traditional' control scheme for games, so developers wont be forced to work around the new controller ? It also makes sence for multi player, and can be easily used for backwards compatibility.

On the other hand....what about buyers who dont have a GCN ? what good are the controller ports to them ? maybe the controller is exactly the same as the gameCube controller as far as number of buttons and features, only more ergonomic. So if you want, you can use a GCN controller that will probably be available throughout the lifecycle of the NRS ?

Right now my only hope is that the LOZ:TP will be a gamecube title

And you lucky lucky man....for being in Tokyo...you'll probably be one of the first to see and maybe even use the new controller..... not to mention seeing some NRS in-game footage.

To be honest....i want to see what the next Super Mario Brothers will look like. Thats the one piece that needs to be in place(imo) if Nintendo hopes the NRS to be a hit and gain market share imo.

Im rather curious about their development suites(as i do a lot of 3D programming)....they mentioned that the suite is the GCN dev.environment(or similar). Seeing as how the architectures of the GCN and NRS are so similar (same family of processors, and a custom designed GPU from the same company)...i reckon it would be like a jump from the G3 to the G5. As far as the development of games...i wonder if it would be as simple as changing the level of detail(LOD) of 3D models and then adding in custom code for the 'effects' (pixel shaders, etc). That would be a developer's dream imo......like im on a PowerBookG4 and once i upgrade to the G5 i wont have to worry about the different processor UNLESS i want to take full advantage of it. But the speed/performance boost comes by default, so increasing the LOD would have almost no effect on perfromance. and the amount of work required to get a game up and running on the NRS would be a lot less compared to the XB360 or PS3. The other good advantage would be....at first games would look really good since developers have figured out how the GCN hardware works so they dont need to dump all that knowledge...and relearn a whole new system to get their games up and running. So the first wave of games could all potentially look like LOZ:TP or RE4...but with more detailed models and better textures, sound, etc. hmmm....interesting

Cheers
(sorry for the rambling...but if any other developers would like to comment, id appreciate it)

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2005, 02:22 AM

Some rather strange developments in the Nintendo camp.

Just got done reading an interview with Myamoto. Some very interesting comments made by the guy:

Why wait so long to release a new installment of Mario? The wait is frustrating players everywhere...

Mario is and always has been a concept title from his birth. We are always looking for new ways of playing with him, manipulating him, to create something new and unique. We're in the midst of preparing something special for his future, something never before seen. You'll understand when you see it that we can't quite release it right away. The new Mario game will surprise many people. Give us the benefit of the doubt. I think we'll present you with a new way to have fun. There's even a new character by his side.

Mario 128 will be released for Revolution then?

Yes, of course! It's no surprise, but of course we will rename it, obviously. That won't be the only surprise of next year though. We based the Revolution around this new type of game. Mario 128 played a large role in the Revolution's conception, much like Mario 64 in it's time. But we won't just be focusing on Mario. We're working on some very impressive games which push interactivity to the max. Games of a new era.

The new Zelda, it's not really good news that...

Please allow me to interrupt you by saying that you will have to be patient, really. This will be, without a doubt, the last Zelda game as you know it in its present form. I worked on it personally, moreso than Wind Waker! I haven't invested as much into any game as I have this one. Our goal was to make the best Zelda game ever. The most rich/satisfying and melancholy. We've really improved it in just a few months. Everything's coming together much quicker. We may have some last minute ideas...

You're going to move it to Revolution?

No, it is a Gamecube title.

In any case, you want to preserve the air of mystery around Nintendo?

We will be revealing many details soon. It's true, we do like surprises (laughs). While our gamers are sleeping, we're busy thinking up new ideas. But while they're playing - we're playing as well.

-Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, will in fact be a GameCube game. And apparently the last Zelda game as we know it.

-Mario128 has influenced the development of the Revolution. Basically the revolution was made to cater to the design goals of Mario128.

So basically, apart from that rather obscure and random Metroid Prime 3 footage(made on GC dev kits). We havent seen anything of the capabilities of the Revolution (that includes Mario128). They could have easily moved Zelda:TP onto the Revolution if they wanted(in fact im surprised they havent already done so).

Kinda points to a paradigm shift in gaming or some aspect in gaming if you ask me. i dont see any other reason why they havent released more information/screens of the Revolution. If they are shooting for a April-July timeframe to release it...they have to have some games up and running by now, which i beleive they do have.

Eitherway.... Iwata will be giving Keynote at the Tokyo Game Show on the 16th of this month. Hopefully we'll have a more definitive idea of what they have in store.

Cheers

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2005, 02:34 AM

Well that was a whole lot of non-info.

BTW they said the same thing about Mario before they came out with Super Mario sunshine. The big surprise is that he squirted water and you solved every puzzle by squirting it.

Anyway here is hoping I am wrong.
"That's okay, I'd like to keep it on manual control for a while."

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2005, 11:53 PM

Demonhood
Administrator
Sep 15, 2005, 11:56 PM

Hands-On Preview.
i think it's crazy. but maybe just crazy enough to work. the idea of moving around in 3D space with the controller is appealing.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2005, 12:19 AM

it looks like a remote control. I wonder why they decided to abandon the ergonomic GCN controller. i mean they could have made it a bit more ergonomic than that.
Also the small "a" and "b" buttons. how on earth are we supposed to get to them ? use the controller sideways maybe ? for NES games ?

Now to the positive. This is the first intuitive interface for 3D !!! heck, it could even be the first major step to the 3D mouse !!! Detecting and determining the position(location) and orientation(angle) of that thing is apparently determined by two sensors on either side of the TV set. So imagine thing. you have a copy of your hand with controller on the screen. you move left, right, up or down....the hand on the screen moves accordingly....tilt/turn ur hand.....and your hand o nthe screen does the same. Could you imagine what that will mean for camera angles ? awesome. Very very cool. Nintendogs....imagine. Metroid.....d-pad to select gun, A to jump, B to fire, and move the thing to move and rotate the camera. Finally.....my hand will be getting a workout instead of just my fingers.

The possibilities of having a 3D/2D mouse on a console enables a slew of genres to appear.

For nay-sayers (you know who they are) for conventional gaming, get yourself a wavebird or GCN controller and voila. After all....the PS3 and XB360 have done a fablous job of imitating the GCN controller(and adding noting new or special i might add), so cross platform, traditional console games will be a snap to program for.

My only quib... ergonomics. apart from that ...i want one. The cool part is that it's actually got my mind thinking of the possibilities for gaming, instead of just different mods and skins for existing games.

Some ideas: http://cube.ign.com/articles/651/651275p1.html

Cheers

PS>> notice the "power" button on the controller....turn your console on using ur controller, maybe ?
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Sep 16, 2005 at 12:35 AM. )

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2005, 01:04 AM

The idea is interesting but IT IS A ****IG REMOTE CONTROL!?

I think this is the PowerGlove v2. Peoples arms will get tired and Sony and MS will laugh all the way to the bank.

On the plus side it comes in colours.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2005, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
I think this is the PowerGlove v2. Peoples arms will get tired and Sony and MS will laugh all the way to the bank..
Speak for yourself. lol...true, if all u ever do is play video games, which from the looks of it is your only passtime.

Newsflash: You got muscles in your arms as well...try using them once in awhile instead of propping yourself in front of your TV all the time.

As far as M$ and $ony....meh....chances are they will copy it the next generation, and when that time comes, you'll probably praise them for being' innovative' (which incidentally dosent mean copying someone elses ideas). lol

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2005, 01:24 AM

I'm loving the hell out of it after reading IGN. Before that, I was thinking WTF for half an hour and doing the whole Nintendo death knell thing...

Anyways, if it can plug in a analog thingy, i'm sure Nintendo can put out a conventional attachment, or a standalone conventional controller for games that dont make use of nintendo's controller. games that are avaliable on xbox/ps3 will be able to use the standalone conventional controller to play on the nintendo. no biggie. All i can say is SWEET, as i never liked fps/rts games on consoles. including halo. no mouse/keyboard, no care. now ... this is a truly trippy and seemingly perfect alternative. wow.

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2005, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a
As far as M$ and $ony....meh....chances are they will copy it the next generation, and when that time comes, you'll probably praise them for being' innovative' (which incidentally dosent mean copying someone elses ideas). lol
Name the last time I ever called Sony or MS innovative.

Here is the part the screengrabs aren't showing you. The crap you got to put on top of your TV for these sensors to work. The powerglove did the same thing.

http://www.gamerzuniverse.net/ninten..._connector.jpg

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2005, 01:50 AM

It's stupid. It goes COMPLETELY against everything that makes a good controller.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2005, 02:06 AM

Wow, I think it's frickin' brilliant.

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2005, 02:08 AM

Watch this video and tell me you want to be doing any of what they are doing:

http://media.cube.ign.com/articles/6...34/vids_1.html

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2005, 02:08 AM

Name the last time I ever called Sony or MS innovative.

Here is the part the screengrabs aren't showing you. The crap you got to put on top of your TV for these sensors to work. The powerglove did the same thing.

http://www.gamerzuniverse.net/ninten..._connector.jpg
Hmmm...i guess the 'sensors' are an issue. I know nothing of this glove(and couldnt care much either). But seriously they look like theyre from the 80s...it's 2005 now...chances are they be a lot smaller.

Oh yeah another criticizm........ i'm guessing AA batteries ?...not good. major drawback if true. i want a Li-On rechargable ...wired use needs to be possible as well.

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2005, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a
Hmmm...i guess the 'sensors' are an issue. I know nothing of this glove(and couldnt care much either). But seriously they look like theyre from the 80s...it's 2005 now...chances are they be a lot smaller.

Oh yeah another criticizm........ i'm guessing AA batteries ?...not good. major drawback if true. i want a Li-On rechargable ...wired use needs to be possible as well.
The power glove was a huge bomb. People didn't want to move around and hook up sensors to play games.

Another drawback is that something like this will have quite a lag, i bet that is the real reason for no HD.

Hope you all like Nintendogs, cuz it is what you get on your home system now.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

strictlyplaid
Senior User
Sep 16, 2005, 02:24 AM

I cried myself to sleep holding my Gamecube after seeing the Revolution's... uh... controller thing. Even endlessly identical streams of football games and racing sims seemed great by comparison to wildly flailing a remote control at the television.

Here's hoping I'm proven wrong!

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2005, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by strictlyplaid
I cried myself to sleep holding my Gamecube after seeing the Revolution's... uh... controller thing. Even endlessly identical streams of football games and racing sims seemed great by comparison to wildly flailing a remote control at the television.

Here's hoping I'm proven wrong!
It also has only 2 main buttons. A and B. Old school.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

strictlyplaid
Senior User
Sep 16, 2005, 02:32 AM

Ah, well. I love the DS even though the touch screen thing was a little kooky at first, so maybe Nintendo will really surprise me here. 'Course, I had a lot of neat ideas for what you could do with a touch screen right off the bat once I heard the idea. Remotes? Not so much.

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2005, 02:35 AM

Remember when you were a kid and that one stupid kid playing your Nintendo system would swing both arms and the controller upwards to make Mario jump? He will be all over this.

It also reminds me of Virtual Reality from the early 90's. Nobody liked it.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2005, 03:45 AM

well then hook up the friggon gamecubecontroller. And VR in the early 90s was a joke.
This has a lot of potential imo. A ray gun that actually works.....for one thing. imagine racing games....turning that remote to steer, etc. it a great abstraction to controlling a video game imo. As opposed to putting like 20 buttons on a conventional controller. Learning curve will be rather short as well imo. casual gamers rejoyce.

As far as 'lag' jeeze. where do you come up with that crap ? quit bad mouthing without the ffacts. we have the wavebird right now, and wireless controllers have been around for awhile....i havent noticed lag at all.

Also, no one said you couldnt play a 'conventional' game on it....hook up the GCN controller and voila. if 3rd party developers dont want to use the 'wand' they dont have to, just port the game, and controllers are already out there.

This 'remote control' adds a cool new dimension to the control aspect of gaming. Luckily we still have risk takers in the gaming industry, unlike the copy cats and business people and acountants to whom big numbers are key. Sheesh....

Every developer/game designer who ahs seen it, says its awesome and that people will love it.

So lets see:
-conventional games
-lowest price point
-innovation in control
-beefed up specs
-free wifi
-backwards compatibility to the very begining

i dont see a down side here at all. but then again im not a graphics whore or a numbers geek.

Having said that. i gotta see the games before i buy any console anyway, and to be honest, i havent chosen one anyway. Games are the wildcard here. lets see what happens.

Cheers

Ham Sandwich
Sep 16, 2005, 06:21 AM

Can't wait for the Rev to finally come out. I'm horrifically bored with the current state of gaming and am glad Nintendo is, too!

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2005, 06:54 AM

i agree. current games dont have lasting power, or anything new to offer. it really is just shinier graphics, and often times .. crappy storylines as well. The current PC box i built will be the final gaming machine i ever make. If i need another desktop, I'll end up with an imac or something. PC gaming really isnt worth it anymore (I cant even name a memorable game (or one i'm still interested in playing) while i can name a bunch on the supernintendo i had ages ago. this looks like something different, something more immersive, and something i'd want to play.

i will say this though. they better put a high capacity lithium ion instead of the double a's. while batteries would be good for marathon players (dead battery? quick, pop in freshly recharged ones!) they need to get the size and weight down. For example, look at where you'd hold the remote. pretty far forward (near the dpad/trigger) meaning a good ammount of weight will be at the back of the remote. You're forearm may get tired keeping the remote level (and not tipping up from it being bottomheavy). That's one thing. If it is weight-balanced, then disregard this minor gripe.

Second reason for thining down this remote? oldschool gaming. imagine holding it sideways to use the dpad and the small a/b keys at the far bottom. you're hands will be wrapped around the remote in a un-ergonomic way. the remote is thick, and the footing for your hands will leave something lacking.

problem number 2 will be the peripherals. console manufacturers really didnt have a lot of luck selling people on add ons. hard drives, light guns, joysticks, etc. in the past, only a small percentage of the console owners would buy the add-ons, and as a result, they werent utilized in games because so few people had it. i worry about nintendo being able to pull this off, but the possibilities ... OMG the possibilities! Sweeeeet!

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2005, 10:04 AM

Uhm... OK. Interesting. I guess.

I'll have to wait and see.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

johnnyJihad
Baninated
Sep 16, 2005, 10:21 AM

OMG CONTROLLERS OWN!!!

I'm buying this.

johnnyJihad
Baninated
Sep 16, 2005, 10:27 AM

BTW did you guys see the video?

this thing rocks, you have to see it in action!

johnnyJihad
Baninated
Sep 16, 2005, 10:37 AM

if you want old school ****, grab a NES.

dude, it's time to evolve. the controllers have been the same for like a decade now... it's time for an effing revolution.

paul w
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2005, 10:39 AM

I for one am dying to try it out. It could be awesome, or it could be a pain.

But it's funny to see the usual people come out with their usual pro/anti Nintendo stances.

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2005, 10:39 AM

Too bad it won't work on my PROJECTOR TV.

Yet again, Nintendo doesn't think ahead.

Mike

Turias
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2005, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by starman

Mike
Couldn't you just attach the sensors to the wall?

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2005, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by johnnyJihad
if you want old school ****, grab a NES.

dude, it's time to evolve. the controllers have been the same for like a decade now... it's time for an effing revolution.

I already have EVERY Nintendo system except the DS. Never really want to play anything old. If I go I play the port on my Gameboy.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2005, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Turias
Couldn't you just attach the sensors to the wall?
Why the f--k would I want to screw these into a wall?

"What are those?"
"My Nintendo Revolution controller receivers".

Yeah, that blends in well with my room

Again, this is a DUMB IDEA.

Mike

FulcrumPilot
Mac Elite

Will this controller be backward compatible?
_,.
a solitary firefly flies at nite
into the darkness an endless flight
a million flashes of delight.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN

Originally Posted by starman

Mike
right. because the popularity of projector TVs is a market that should be catered to.

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2005, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by scaught
right. because the popularity of projector TVs is a market that should be catered to.
Kinda like how Nintendo didn't put digital audio of ANY kind on their Gamecube.

They seem to think that everyone still plays on 12" TVs.

Mike

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2005, 11:15 AM

and this controller...my first glance at it made me seriously WTF. I'm still kind of in shock. What the **** is that? This has to be a joke.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2005, 11:17 AM

is this controller custom made for porn games or what?

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2005, 11:27 AM

and this controller...my first glance at it made me seriously WTF. I'm still kind of in shock. What the **** is that? This has to be a joke.
Check out the video. It's pretty cool. This controller has the potential for any kind of gameplay controls, and to take old ones beyond. I personally think the idea is neat, but the whiners will remain no matter what Nintendo puts out. I prefer to try it first, of course, but the idea of free and precise movement in 3-D space like that is awesome. The next Metroid is going to rock. The video and descriptions of the demos they saw behind closed doors gives a better idea of the potential of the controller.

FulcrumPilot
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2005, 11:30 AM

Yeah, I agree this has huge potential! This is going to make SJ look up and rethink games perhaps.
_,.
a solitary firefly flies at nite
into the darkness an endless flight
a million flashes of delight.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2005, 11:31 AM

obviously its different. and will force people to come up with different ways of creating entertainment custom built around it. so, i guess its a good thing. its just. wow. i dont know.

ive always said it in every game thread, and i guess ill say it again. ill pick the system that has the games i want to play. im playing ****ing nintendogs, so the big N obviously has me by the bits and pieces.

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2005, 11:31 AM

I see it like this:

If you're going to add the requirement of 3D space, you do have to make it one-handed. That's a given. I just can't see using two seaparate devices for analog games. That's throwing me a bit.

Mike

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2005, 11:40 AM

You better be kidding. Do you have any idea how fast widescreen and rear/front projectors is growing for the past year? Imagine in 2 years.

I have a REAR projection HDTV and no way in hell to I want to place some silly sensors around it.
With no HD support may not seem like too big a deal now but if this system is supposed to last 4 years (and it doesn't come out for another year) imagine how pathetic no HD support will look in a couple years.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2005, 11:52 AM

As long as they figure out how to make it work with Smash Brothers I'm happy.

I'm still trying to figure out why all the buttons went away. :-\
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2005, 11:57 AM

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2005, 12:01 PM

Honestly I like the idea, but I don't like the way it is being implemented. I like a gyro in a controller to sence motion, the idea of moving in a 3D space is also cool.

This is what I don't like:

The shape of the conroller is horrible.

Not enough buttons

I HATE the idea of placing sensors on top of your TV. Yuck.

The add on joystick cable shouldn't be connected by a cable. Try moving around with the joystck and swinging the remote like a sword. You'll rip the other controller out of your hand.

No games were shown, only extremely crude demos

I can't see many 3rd Parties supporting it. Nintendo is going to have to develop all the games (which means few and far between.

The slower hardware and strange controller means all the games coming out for Xbox and PS3 will not get ported to the Nintendo.

Putting all your eggs in the controller means Sony or MS could come out with an add on that does the exact same thing within a month. NIntendo loses the edge right there.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

baw
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2005, 12:13 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules