Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The 2007 Jaguar XK...thoughts? [/Pics]

The 2007 Jaguar XK...thoughts? [/Pics] (Page 2)
Link
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2005, 04:34 AM

G4ME, I miss the days when you could tell a car from another car simply by looking at them and not having to glance at their badges, however today it seems companies are all going for the same style, take this for example:

Take a look at this Mazda 3...
http://perso.wanadoo.es/e/buitrictor...R-gif-firm.jpg
typic rounded shape, rear end sticking up a little, high tail lights and that funky back window shape..

Also slightly used here:
http://www.curbsite.com/archive/2003...timaBackLR.jpg

definitely used here:
http://www.autointell-news.com/News-...3-back-115.jpg

even volkswagen seems to be in on it..

http://pickap.spb.ru/196/image/passat/passat02.gif

Hey look, even BMW makes the assy look for a few dozen k more..
http://www.bimmerfest.com/images/new7_01.jpg

(they tried hard to stray from it,good job bangle )

In essence, car companies are just playing a game of ripping off the same exterior, slapping a new badge on, and then doing whatever they do with the interior, that seems to vary.. it's all almost always various failing forms of "retro 60s look" or "luxury meets retro" or "luxury meets tech"..

When honestly, these people can't design "retro" or "luxury" worth a crap. Boy. Luxury. Who ever thought the ideal definition of luxury was a fake leather dashboard with fake wood paneling. Tell ya the truth, the color combinations can be so atrocious I have no idea what the marketing people were smoking when they made the claim "luxurious" in the first place.

I know this is outdated, but it's a good example:
http://home.online.no/~trondes/Trond...20interior.jpg

Boy what a beauty, the center elbow rest looks like a toilet seat:
http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-20...-1920x1440.jpg

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Co...d.standard.jpg
An ugly interior to match the ugly exterior..

Another popular thing are the "barf color" interiors lately, I think audi and BMW (or was it mercedes).. have been using that quite a bit now too lol.
Aloha

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2005, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by LilWolfChokingOnCigs68
I think it's starting to look dated. Looks mid 90ish. The new seems to carry on the spirit, but has a fresh look to it. I like it.
I see your point, and honestly, I have to see and feel the new model personally first, checking built quality etc. But I think the point with Jaguars is, even more than other brands like BMW or Audi, to "conserve" a certain styling. Jaguar was never a trendsetter or avantgardist. If they risk too much with a famous model they may loose their traditional buyers (like BMW did with their "Bangled" 7 series and partly with the latest 5 series)!

But let's wait and see.

Regards
Powerbook
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

LilWolfChokingOnCigs68
Baninated
Sep 1, 2005, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Powerbook
I see your point, and honestly, I have to see and feel the new model personally first, checking built quality etc. But I think the point with Jaguars is, even more than other brands like BMW or Audi, to "conserve" a certain styling. Jaguar was never a trendsetter or avantgardist. If they risk too much with a famous model they may loose their traditional buyers (like BMW did with their "Bangled" 7 series and partly with the latest 5 series)!

But let's wait and see.

Regards
Powerbook
But they didnt' risk too much. It still looks like a jag, just a 'new' one.

Link, when exactly were cars easily identifiyable by looking at the rear ends? Dodge used a certain grill on all their models for a while, BMWs are easily identified by their grills, same with audis, etc etc etc etc. You sound like an old dude bitching about the good old days. Personally I think we have some very nice designs today, it's a lot better than all the jellybean cars of the mid 90s.

himself
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2005, 08:30 PM

But they didnt' risk too much. It still looks like a jag, just a 'new' one.

Link, when exactly were cars easily identifiyable by looking at the rear ends? Dodge used a certain grill on all their models for a while, BMWs are easily identified by their grills, same with audis, etc etc etc etc. You sound like an old dude bitching about the good old days. Personally I think we have some very nice designs today, it's a lot better than all the jellybean cars of the mid 90s.
I agree that they didn't risk too much. They didn't risk anything at all, really, because it's been done before. But I disagree on it looking like a Jaguar. Like others have said, the first thing I thought when I saw it was Aston Martin... headlights wrapped around to the sides and on the top of the hood... round fog lamps directly below the headlamps... small-ish grille positioned below the headlamps/hoodline... those are distinctive Aston Martin design cues, and it makes this Jaguar look out of place to me.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

LilWolfChokingOnCigs68
Baninated
Sep 1, 2005, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by himself
I agree that they didn't risk too much. They didn't risk anything at all, really, because it's been done before. But I disagree on it looking like a Jaguar. Like others have said, the first thing I thought when I saw it was Aston Martin... headlights wrapped around to the sides and on the top of the hood... round fog lamps directly below the headlamps... small-ish grille positioned below the headlamps/hoodline... those are distinctive Aston Martin design cues, and it makes this Jaguar look out of place to me.
K, well, you're either just wrong or uneducated. It lacks the trademark aston grill shape, and as for your comments about the headlights,...uh... LOTS of cars do this. In fact, the aston DB7, seen here:

If you squint your eyes, it can almost look like an old jaguar E type. Long hood, short sloping roof line, etc. So yeah, both are similar SHAPES, but that's because they're both luxurious sporty cars. Here's a few more things:

Round fog lamps below the headlights? Since when is that an aston martin thing? Seems to me like lots of cars do that. Even the last generation XKR had foglamps under the headlights.

The grille is VERY similar to the last XKR, being oval in shape, and if you put the new one right next to it:

You can see they're very much similarly designed. The grill is in about the same spot, but the chin spoiler/lower front fascia has changed quite a bit. Instead of a more feminine underbite, it now has a much more aggressive look to it, and it's more of an underbite with a lot more 'testosterone' in in the style. I think the biggest reason some of you are complaining is the side marker lights integrated into the headlights. To me, that makes it look kinda cheaper. At the same time, it also cleans up the design, so whatever floats your boat. If we look at an aston martin, it's pretty obvious how much differnet it looks:

The jag has a much more bulbous front end, whereas the aston martin has a pinched grill that flows into a totally different hood treatement than the jag, it's not at all similar. In the rear, again, the jag has a much more femenine look, and the aston martin is much more butch. Totally different styles.

Here's a final example:

I think the biggest reason you guys think it doesn't look like a jag is the COLOR and the lighting. When you see one in a darker more 'mature' color I'm sure it'll look much more jaguarish.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2005, 10:50 PM

Jaguar was never a trendsetter or avantgardist.

look at a jag before 1970s, they had ton of trend setting ideas. D type? the Saloons?

Its just they did it right the first time and didn't need to **** with it over and over again, so the models stayed the same.

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

:dragonflypro:
Senior User
Sep 2, 2005, 02:03 AM

But, ooooh, that DB9!

It just may be the most beautiful car being produced on the road today.

:dragonflypro:
Senior User
Sep 2, 2005, 02:06 AM

Jaguar was never a trendsetter or avantgardist. If they risk too much with a famous model they may loose their traditional buyers…
uh, X K E

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 2, 2005, 05:01 AM

I think the biggest reason you guys think it doesn't look like a jag is the COLOR and the lighting.
Nope. It's the Ford design cues used all over it that are doing it.

And I don't know why we're comparing the Ford Jag with a Ford Aston. This is what proper Astons should look like:

Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2005, 05:26 AM

The 'Aston' similarity comes from the Rear quarters. Both the new Jag and most recent Aston Martins have a similar flat part above the rear wheel.
I personaly think it looks more like an updated Ford Cougar though.
The old XK did share a floorpan with a few Aston's too.

Doofy. That was from when Aston Martin was going through a real dull stage in it's extrior design. the current ones owe more to the shape of the 'classic' Aston's form the mid 60's to the early 70's

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 2, 2005, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by Mediaman_12
Doofy. That was from when Aston Martin was going through a real dull stage in it's extrior design.
Gentlemen (for whom the Aston, and to a certain extent the Jaguar, were originally designed for) prefer conservative, dull, discreet styling.

You know what this new Jag is missing more than anything? Its "Britishness". There's certain design cues in old Jags, old Astons and even old Rovers which shout "British". It's just dawned on me - that's what's not there.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2005, 06:01 AM

Yes, what is there in the new XK is Americanness, not Britishness. I also think that it looks like a new model Cougar.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2005, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
It probably looks good in person, but..
The front end looks a lot like a Ford Taurus

You guys know that Ford owns Jag right? Funny.. I'm thinking about buying a nice smooth x series this afternoon
( Last edited by Tyre MacAdmin; Sep 2, 2005 at 10:01 AM. )

LilWolfChokingOnCigs68
Baninated
Sep 2, 2005, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by G4ME
look at a jag before 1970s, they had ton of trend setting ideas. D type? the Saloons?

Its just they did it right the first time and didn't need to **** with it over and over again, so the models stayed the same.
I think the 90s XKR looked loads better than the one before it.

LilWolfChokingOnCigs68
Baninated
Sep 2, 2005, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy
This is what proper Astons should look like:
Uh... No. This is what a proper one should look like:

or the v8

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 2, 2005, 10:06 AM

Uh... No. This is what a proper one should look like:

or the v8

Duh! The one I posted was the V8.

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2005, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by :dragonflypro:
uh, X K E

Hehehe, I give you credit for that...

Pb.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

LilWolfChokingOnCigs68
Baninated
Sep 2, 2005, 12:11 PM

Duh! The one I posted was the V8.
Then why was it all ugly and 80s looking?

This is what a nice one looks like:

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 2, 2005, 12:55 PM

Then why was it all ugly and 80s looking?
Because it was an 80's V8?

(actually, looks like that one's an early 90's model - but that'd ruin the joke).

macroy
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2005, 01:21 PM

I actually see a 'little' bit of Ford in both of those... the Volante looks like an older mustang (or the newest one too), and the Zagato looks sorta like a Mercury... can't place what model - Merkur Xr4ti? was that a Mercury?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 2, 2005, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by macroy
the Volante
What Volante?

Volante = droptop, in Aston speak.

the Zagato
*cough*
There's no Zagato either.

Sorry dude.

macroy
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2005, 01:38 PM

What Volante?

Volante = droptop, in Aston speak.
you're right - It was just a quick reply... I guess I meant the Vantage V8

http://www.astonmartins.com/v8/v8vans2.htm

*cough*
There's no Zagato either.

Sorry dude.
http://www.fast-autos.net/astonmarti...tinzagato.html

This may not be the same model pictured... but there certainly is a Zagato.. .as it was one of may favorites growing up.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 2, 2005, 02:12 PM

you're right - It was just a quick reply... I guess I meant the Vantage V8
*cough* pedantic for reference *cough*
V8 Vantage.

V8 = model.
Vantage = extra oompf label, like "Type R" on Japanese stuff.

This may not be the same model pictured... but there certainly is a Zagato.. .as it was one of may favorites growing up.
Yep, there is a Zagato. Just not in this thread - it's probably a standard early 90's V8 Vantage. Easy mistake to make, seeing as how the Zagato had a similar grille.

macroy
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2005, 02:53 PM

*cough* pedantic for reference *cough*
V8 Vantage.

V8 = model.
Vantage = extra oompf label, like "Type R" on Japanese stuff.

Yep, there is a Zagato. Just not in this thread - it's probably a standard early 90's V8 Vantage. Easy mistake to make, seeing as how the Zagato had a similar grille.

Got it. Thanks for the clarification. Can't belive you actually threw in a "Type R" reference in a AM message though

Forum Links
Forum Rules