Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Just got 15" powerbook

Just got 15" powerbook
inkhead
Senior User
Oct 20, 2005, 03:03 PM

The resolution on the ones released yesterday kicks ass! The machine seems really fast with the DDR two ram. Can somebody tell me if this ram is correct though?

Kingston Technology (Notebook Memory) - KVR533D2S4/512

ONLINE ORDER ONLY - -512MB DDR2 PC4200 533MHz 200-pin SODIMM for Notebook and Laptop Computers work with most DDR2 Toshiba Sony IBM Hewlett Packard Gateway Dell Compaq Acer Apple NEC. In-Stock

Apple says their computers use DDR2 PC4200 running at 333mhz which I assume it clocks down...

liscio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2005, 03:15 PM

Just so you know, the new PowerBooks do not operate any faster because of the DDR2 RAM. It's 533MHz RAM, but as you've mentioned, Apple's only running it at 333MHz. The system still has the same 167MHz bus, too.

Apple just released the developer note today, so you can find more in-depth info here:

http://developer.apple.com/documenta...kG4/index.html

Glad you're enjoying your new toy! The RAM you listed should work just fine, as I grabbed Kingston ValueRam for my 15" 1.5, too.

Hope this helps,

Chris
http://www.SuperMegaUltraGroovy.com
Audio Measurement Software for Mac OS X. http://www.FuzzMeasure.com

robertj
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2005, 03:28 PM

Yes, it clocks down to 333. That RAM is correct.

lars-man
Oct 20, 2005, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by inkhead
The resolution on the ones released yesterday kicks ass!
Do you have any comparison to the previous 15" PowerBook, especially regarding the display's brightness? Is the new screen resolution still ok or do you think things are getting to small now? Did you already have the time to test your battery?

Regards, Lars

pat++
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2005, 04:19 PM

Can we have some pictures to have an idea of the resolution/brightness of the screen ?

inkhead  (op)
Senior User
Oct 20, 2005, 06:21 PM

Sure it's much brighter, and the resolutions makes everything so beautiful and sexy, watching 720p with room to spare. Also whatever is in the video card makes it play the videos completely smoothly.

My only mistake was I bought a macmini yesterday as well, I went to register.apple.com entered the serial (while in the store) to see if it was updated, but the LA apple store internet was so sloooooow, that it timed out. So I took the mac mini because the salesstaff said most of them were the 1.5ghz ones. Now I found out it's not. How should I handle taking it back?

What do you guys recommend. I really want the one with 64mb of ram, should I take it back today and pay the restocking fee (i got 10 percent off) and just ask for another one? Or will they give me crap
They seem niced..

How would I go about returning this one and getting the faster one.

I'll post pictures of the new powerbook tomorrow.

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 20, 2005, 06:32 PM

Sure it's much brighter, and the resolutions makes everything so beautiful and sexy, watching 720p with room to spare. Also whatever is in the video card makes it play the videos completely smoothly.
That's funny since it's the same stinkin' video card that is in the previous generation.
MacBook Pro 15" -- 2.2Ghz, 4GB, 200GB 7200rpm
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 20, 2005, 08:53 PM

Sure it's much brighter...
I'm trying to get someone to confirm this - as I've inquired in this thread, Apple's descriptions only speak of the 46% brighter screen in the 17" PBook, along with its greater resolution, but they only state the increased resolution on the 15" PBook, without any mention of its brightness.

If the screen is, indeed, significantly brighter on the 15", plus higher resolution, plus greater battery life, then I may still decide to update to this from my 1GHz TiBook. One of the things I've been generally disappointed about Apple PowerBooks has been the screen quality - lesser resolution, and lesser screen brightness, compared to even my inexpensive Gateway laptop.

iBorg

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 20, 2005, 09:12 PM

iBorg: The screen is bright (I've got it turned down a couple of notches to be comfortable in an artificially-lit room), but since this the last PB I used was a TiBook (and I can't compare side-by-side) I have no idea whether the screen is any brighter than the previous generation.

gkorsgard
Oct 20, 2005, 10:33 PM

I just picked up a new 17", I can definitely tell a difference in the screen. Sharper and MUCH brighter. I have turned it down too.

Forum Links
Forum Rules