Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Who is Sufjan Stevens?

Who is Sufjan Stevens?
macfantn
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2006, 04:53 PM

A friend of mine mentioned him to me, and said I might like his music but couldn't really describe him. Anyone a fan?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 18, 2006, 04:56 PM

No.

Tried Google ?

-t

macfantn  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2006, 04:58 PM

yeah found a little info, but I want some user opinions of his stuff, and also want to know if there are any fans of his on these boards.

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2006, 04:59 PM

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...tistId=4273404

He's writing an album about each US state. I like his stuff, on his last tour he and his band were dressed in cheerleading uniforms and changed instruments on each song.

Well worth a listen.

Salty
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2006, 05:00 PM

I've heard his stuff before, never liked him that much. They play him all the time on the Bored Again Christian Podcast. My roomie from last year actually was lent his CD by someone in dorm and he's absolutely in love. I think the guy's just strange. I hear he once played a show dressed like a cheer leader or something.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 18, 2006, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by ShotgunEd
He's writing an album about each US state ....he and his band were dressed in cheerleading uniforms ...
What state were the cheerleading dresses representing ?

-t

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 18, 2006, 06:08 PM

His music can't really be described accurately in text, you really should just go out and get one of his albums. I recommend (Come on Feel the) Illinois. Its a great album.

As far as the Christian overtones in his music, for me it really isn't a distraction at all. I noticed maybe one or two lines in one song that might lead me to believe he was a Christian. But as far as I can tell he's not preaching anything. Just good songs about everyday things and the grandness of life. (I am not a Christian, nor am I of any other religion, just so you know where I'm coming from).

I give his music a

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2006, 06:55 PM

The guy's music is awesome. Check out his album Illinois. It's a modern folk sound. I've heard that he's going to release a 2nd Illinois album. I'm a fan of his music.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 18, 2006, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by waxcrash
The guy's music is awesome. Check out his album Illinois. It's a modern folk sound. I've heard that he's going to release a 2nd Illinois album. I'm a fan of his music.
Casn't wait for him to release Iowa 3.

-t

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 19, 2006, 12:46 AM

He's amazing. All of the indy-music websites gave him top-honors in 2005 for Illinois. Not that I really listen to the music review sites, but they aren't wrong in this case.

Force yourself to listen through Illinois and Greetings from Michigan twice, then pass judgement.

You remind me my wife… why you laugh? She dead. | sasper at gmail dot com

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2006, 01:42 AM

Oh, come on! Sufjan Stevens, bitches! Get with the program here!

greg

Now Playing: Calexico – Cruel
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Apr 19, 2006, 05:32 AM

I dunno. Some of his songs are good, some are even on my favorites list (✭✭✭✭). But as an overall artists he gets a bit boring after a while.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2006, 10:21 AM

I'm with erik. Same goes for Iron & Wine.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Salty
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2006, 10:53 AM

I find it funny how so many people consider Christian artists preachy... when I don't listen to many bands that I really feel are preachy. I mean some sing about God more than others. But in the sense of singing about life or something meaningful. I find Christian artists do that far more it seems than secular artists I hear on the radio. I mean there's almost no songs in my library that are about sex!

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2006, 10:58 AM

Holy crap, that's a bunch of crap music.

How can you people stand that stuff?

:shudder:
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2006, 11:10 AM

You're old. That means your taste in music faded long ago, and now you just listen to the same kind of stuff over and over and think that the "new music" isn't nearly as good as when you were young.

*shrugs*

Sorry, that's just how it works.

greg

Now Playing: Super Furry Animals – Herman Loves Pauline

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2006, 12:56 PM

No, I just remember when bands actually played real instruments, vocals weren't processed, people had talent, and guys didn't listen to the music girls listened to.

Those were the days...
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Dakar
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2006, 01:03 PM

Too folk for my taste.

Also, Railhead's constant male posturing is hilarious.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2006, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead
No, I just remember when bands actually played real instruments, vocals weren't processed, people had talent, and guys didn't listen to the music girls listened to.

Those were the days...
Well, since I don't think any of these things apply to Sufjan Stevens, I'm gonna assume you're just rambling about nothing??

From the Illinois sleeve:

SUFJAN STEVENS plays the following instruments: acoustic guitar, piano, wurlitzer, electric bass, drum kit, electric guitar, oboe, Miriam's alto saxophone, Sunmin's flute, Daniel's banjo and/or Matt's banjo (depending on which one was in tune), Shara's glockenspiel, Laura's rickety accordian, a rented vibraphone, various recorders (Sufjan owns the tenor, soprano, and sopranino, but he borrowed Monique's alto), a Casiotone MT-70, sleigh bells, shakers, tambourine, triangle, and a Baldwin electric church organ. Oh Lord, help us!
As I said...you're old, so you listen to the same stuff over and over and grumble about new music. That's just what people do when they age. Sad but true.

greg

Dakar
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2006, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton
As I said...you're old, so you listen to the same stuff over and over and grumble about new music. That's just what people do when they age. Sad but true.

greg
Part of the reason I find David Bowie so amazing (Let alone U2).

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2006, 01:17 PM

Well Bowie's definitely the shiznit, but don't be bringing U2 into this fine thread.

greg

Dakar
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2006, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton
Well Bowie's definitely the shiznit, but don't be bringing U2 into this fine thread.

greg
You don't like any of their stuff?

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2006, 01:41 PM

They've got a few good albums...War, the Unforgettable Fire, the Joshua Tree (of course), and Achtung Baby. That's pretty much it.

Anything after A.B. has been pretty lame. Bono's lyrics are embarrassing. Musically, they've been doing the exact same thing, with variations on the same sound, for too long to remember (even Achtung or Zooropa or Pop weren't as different as everyone seems to think).

Early U2 had fire and passion and a sort of zealous fury at the things they saw around them. Later U2 is Bono, singing about Peace on Earth and beautiful days and God's Angels and everything else. They've become the ultimate harmless, sing-along, pop-rock big-stadium anthemic band.

Meh. Boring. Move along.

greg

Now Playing: I Mother Earth – Sense of Henry

Dakar
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2006, 01:47 PM

I can live with that assessment.

funkboy
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2006, 02:25 PM

How about me, a 'young' person, liking a lot of old stuff? Most everything on the Top 40 radio is pretty crappy. Sufjan may be making some headway on radio play, I'm not sure.

I look backwards to the funk of yesteryear (you see my name, my sig), where they were creating the beats with real live instruments and creativity moreso than the sampling of many cookie-cutter hip-hop artists nowadays. Not that I'm getting down on all hip-hop, even the big blingy stuff can be fun, but... it's not very creative, nor saying much of a statement. A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul... I want that hip hop.

I don't think indie music should be kept to 'indie' stations - people would like it and buy it in bigger numbers if it was getting Top 40 airplay.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2006, 02:48 PM

funkboy...I'm not quite sure what you're trying to communicate here. There's great music and terrible music every year, in every decade, etc. etc. I think most of the people here who can appreciate new music also can appreciate, like you, the older. And the big companies dictate pop; they rarely take big risks when a formula is working well. Baby steps.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

MOTHERWELL
Senior User
Apr 19, 2006, 03:23 PM

I was sold on Sufjan stevens when I was browsing a local CD store while wearing a "Say YES! To Michigan" t-shirt (old tourism slogan from the 80s).

The owner of the shop asked if I had heard Sufjan's new album, Michigan.....and so on.

I still think that his Michigan LP is better than his Illinois, but I am probably just a little upset that this little 'gem' has exploded onto the indie scene with critical acclaim.

His Seven Swans album is also very good. Heavy on the Biblical tales which may put some people off.

And his first album (A Sun Came) is just as experimental, but not nearly as satisfying. I would skip this one.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2006, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by funkboy
I look backwards to the funk of yesteryear (you see my name, my sig), where they were creating the beats with real live instruments and creativity moreso than the sampling of many cookie-cutter hip-hop artists nowadays. Not that I'm getting down on all hip-hop, even the big blingy stuff can be fun, but... it's not very creative, nor saying much of a statement. A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul... I want that hip hop.
The Roots.

greg

Now Playing: Sam Roberts – The Resistance

waxcrash
Mac Elite
May 1, 2006, 12:31 AM

Here's a link to download Sufjan Stevens' Christmas album…

http://chattablogs.com/quintus/archives/019666.html

Forum Links
Forum Rules