Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > HELP! New G4 won't recognize Old HD

HELP! New G4 won't recognize Old HD
indigo
Sep 29, 2001, 02:19 PM

I just upgraded from a 300 mhz Blue and White to a new Quicksilver G4. I had a couple of additional hard drives in the Blue and White that I thought I would just be able to pop out of the BW and into the G4. One drive was a maxtor and the other was an IBM deskstar. The IBM was my main drive. I installed the two drives into the G4 with the IBM attached as a slave with the appropriate jumper settings and the Maxtor to a VST Ultratek 66 ATA PCI card. Upon booting up the G4, the Maxtor was seen and mounted on the desktop. The IBM however did not mount even though it had a valid system folder on it. Apple system profiler recognizes that the IBM is present, as does Drive Setup, but they will not mount the drive.

I popped the IBM into the G3 to see if it would work in the old setting, but I got the dreaded flashing question mark when I tried to boot from it.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can correct this problem? Although I back up my important data regularly, I still would like to avoid the hassle of reinstalling all that software.

Thanks for the help.

Cipher13
Oct 1, 2001, 02:40 AM

Does the IBM mount if its on the on-board IDE chain?
Or any other position?

Forum Links
Forum Rules