Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New iMac, KVM and Dual Display

New iMac, KVM and Dual Display
ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2007, 01:34 PM

Hi all,

I'm waiting on my new 20in iMac to be delivered over the next few days (hopefully) and I'm contemplating how best to set up my desk.

I currently have a Power Mac (VGA output) and a PC (VGA output). My current setup involves the PC and Mac plugged into a USB KVM that allows me to control them both from one USB keyboard and mouse and one 19in VGA Monitor. The button on the KVM flips me from one machine to the other, it is seamless and perfect.

My intention is to keep the 19in but to use it in conjuction with the 20in iMac in extended desktop mode. I'll want to control all three machines from one keyboard and mouse and be able to change the 19in display back and forth from the Power Mac/PC to the iMac extended desktop. Getting complicated?

I envision buying a Mini-DVI to VGA adapter to allow the extended desktop onto the 19in display. I also reckon I'll need another KVM Switch that will allow me to swap between the PC and the Power Mac.

Has anyone performed this sort of crazy notion before? My concerns are regarding what happens the main display of the iMac when I switch the secondary display over to the PC/Power Mac. Does it recognise that there is no 2nd display and force the iMac into single desktop mode? Or does it think there is still a second display there and my cursor will fly off the edge into oblivion.

I'm also interested to see other people's set ups if they have attempted this before. My desk space is limited and I know Remote controlling the PC/Power Mac is an option but since I've already invested in a VGA-USB KVM and I don't think I can resist the dual display wonder of the iMac then I'm going for broke. Maybe I'll mount the 19in to the wall with a VESA kit...

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 2, 2007, 04:11 PM

Why not just buy a KVM with 3 inputs? That way you can still use the keyboard shortcuts for switching machines instead of having to dig up the KVM and switch it manually.

What the iMac does depends on what the KVM emulates; it could go either way. I know some KVMs will continue to 'act' like a keyboard/mouse is connected just so an OS doesn't get confused at boot-up if it's not currently the machine selected by the user.

Forum Links
Forum Rules