Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Interview for Apple Genius job tomorrow

Interview for Apple Genius job tomorrow
ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2008, 11:42 AM

Lounge,

I've a phone interview for an Apple Genius post at a yet to be opened Apple Store tomorrow.

[remainder of post deleted]
( Last edited by ShotgunEd; Jun 12, 2008 at 05:15 AM. Reason: [edited to protect employment opportunity])

philm
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2008, 11:50 AM

How come they are not doing it via iChat video?

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2008, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by ShotgunEd View Post
Lounge,

I've a phone interview for an Apple Genius post at a yet to be opened Apple Store tomorrow.

Has anyone interviewed for this post before? What kind of questions will I be asked?

I'm normally pretty good at face to face interviews, I've only done 1 phone interview before though, should I be doing anything different?

In case you are interested, I'm from a technical background, a Comp Sci graduate with ~3 years Windows hardware/software support experience with two of the biggest IT Services Companies in the world. I'm certified up the wazoo with Microsoft, HP, Citrix and various IT Process qualifications. I don't have any formal Apple training but have been using Macs for 10+ years and have a solid understanding of the OS and hardware.

I'm tired of the rat race and want to help people have fun with their Macs. Is this something I should be portraying to the interviewer?
I don't know about Apple in particular, but I do a lot of phone interviews. There are things to look out for. You have to speak particularly clearly, and remember that you are communicating EVERYTHING through your voice. You can't smile, gesture or anything else. I know, this is obvious, but remember that when you're on the phone.
I would think that communicating that you have a passion for helping people with Macs is good, but I bet they get a lot of that - try to develop that theme a little, you need something to make you stand out in their mind from the ten other people who love Macs.
If it seems ok, I would actually ask them why they don't use iChat to interview - it shows you've thought about it a bit.

ShotgunEd  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2008, 12:00 PM

If they'd wanted to use iChat to interview me I'd have had to take the day off work, I'm a PC user at work.

-Q-
Apr 10, 2008, 12:03 PM

One thing I've found helpful in phone interviews is to stand up and walk around. It helps keep the energy level up in your voice and seems to communicate a bit more enthusiasm to the interviewer than just sitting and having a conversation.

EricTheRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 10, 2008, 12:09 PM

I'm tired of the rat race and want to help people have fun with their Macs. Is this something I should be portraying to the interviewer?
As an employer that's what I would want to hear: your motivation.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2008, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by EricTheRed View Post
As an employer that's what I would want to hear: your motivation.
Yes, but only the positive aspect.

Don't mention you're tired with your current job.

Say that you have maxed out your learning curve, and that you would like to stay engaged and learn something new. You need to convey that you are moving forward to do something exciting and new, not to escape your present situation.

-t

scottiB
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2008, 01:05 PM

Remember: Hold down the shift key when booting to turn off extensions. They like to throw in an OS 9 question to keep it real.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2008, 01:47 PM

Be prepared to answer the question about the 'any key'.

Good luck ShotgunEd!
Make sure you smell clean - no cologne/aftershave, speak slowly and clearly, and wear clothes.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2008, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
Make sure you ... and wear clothes.
Why ?

I have made good experience in being naked at phone interviews.

Makes you feel free and uninhibited

-t

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2008, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Why ?

I have made good experience in being naked at phone interviews.

Makes you feel free and uninhibited

-t
You're right, free and uninhibited is the way to go.

Don't shower, use a lot of cheap cologne, and do the interview completely naked!

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2008, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
You're right, free and uninhibited is the way to go.

Don't shower, use a lot of cheap cologne, and do the interview completely naked!
In fact, if you can, do it in a jacuzzi with several hookers and a lot of blow.

finboy
Apr 10, 2008, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by -Q- View Post
One thing I've found helpful in phone interviews is to stand up and walk around. It helps keep the energy level up in your voice and seems to communicate a bit more enthusiasm to the interviewer than just sitting and having a conversation.
Good advice. Also, don't be afraid of NOT talking. That's the #1 thing I've seen that drives people nuts in interviews.

finboy
Apr 10, 2008, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by scottiB View Post
Remember: Hold down the shift key when booting to turn off extensions. They like to throw in an OS 9 question to keep it real.
Also, they throw that in b/c there are lots of folks out there still using OS 9, especially in education.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2008, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by scottiB View Post
That also works in OS X.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2008, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by -Q- View Post
I missed this.. and it is so important.
But I must suggest leaving the room whilst standing and walking during the interview.
This keeps their curiosity up, and shows that you are a thinking man who is not afraid to take somewhat calculated risks.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2008, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
That also works in OS X.
Even better - you only get it wrong by not answering.

Make sure you use a #2 pencil.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

Salty
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2008, 03:13 PM

How pathetic is it that I forgot how to start up withou extensions in OS 9? Dang I don't even know if I could fix an OS 9 box now! I used to fix my iMac all the time!

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2008, 04:07 PM

In case you are interested, I'm from a technical background, a Comp Sci graduate with ~3 years Windows hardware/software support experience with two of the biggest IT Services Companies in the world. I'm certified up the wazoo with Microsoft, HP, Citrix and various IT Process qualifications. I don't have any formal Apple training but have been using Macs for 10+ years and have a solid understanding of the OS and hardware.?
You will not get the job. You are over qualified. Seriously.

Steve Bosell
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 10, 2008, 04:41 PM

The "Geniuses" at my local store have slightly more computer skills than the average clueless user. Apple should reconsider calling them Geniuses.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2008, 04:45 PM

I have also been underwhelmed by them.

Cold Warrior
Apr 10, 2008, 05:45 PM

Me too. Not particularly impressed. Most of the regulars here are overqualified.

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2008, 09:10 PM

At my local Apple store, the only people worth dealing with are the geniuses. The people milling around the place are for the most part clueless, which I confirmed about a month ago when I went in to buy an Airport Extreme card for the office iBook. They were out, yet two (!) of the employees tried selling me an Airport Express - one of them said he wasn't sure if it works the same as an Airport card, and the other was "pretty sure" it would work because "it has USB."

So, I guess the qualification level for Apple Store Genius is relative to the rest of the employees. Good luck on your interview!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2008, 09:23 PM

Weird, most of the employees I've talked to at Apple Stores around here have seemed reasonably not-stupid.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

alligator
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2008, 09:45 PM

I'll be looking for a post here tomorrow to let us know what was asked and how it went. Of course, that is unless Apple swears you to secrecy.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2008, 11:52 PM

Just out of curiosity... if you have a Comp Sci degree why are you interested in a retail job that would probably pay between 15 and 20 dollars an hour?

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2008, 02:48 AM

Yea, sheesh, get OS X Server certified, and shop that around. I bet you could find something $60k+ with a shop that's trying to integrate Macs into it's workflow.

(Remember the golden triangle!)

ShotgunEd  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2008, 03:16 AM

Thanks for the tips guys,

to answer a couple of questions,
"why am I applying?"

I love computers, nay, I like computers, I love Macs. My job involves supporting the infrastructure for 500+ servers for a large corporate customer. This, although rewarding at times, is not fun. Helping a Mac noob (omg did I just us that word?) import their photos into iPhoto from their new camera is fun.

As regards the salary thing, I could get paid 2.5x as much money as the Apple Genius job with another 2 years Wintel Server experience, but I refer you to the above, it wouldn't be fun.

As regards becoming OSX Server certified, its a path I've considered, if this Genius job doesn't work out its my next port-of-call. However, this country isn't big on Corporate use of Macs, this is precisely why I'm qualified with Windows and not already working with Macs.

I hope I'm not excluded for being over-qualified, that'd suck.

I'll report back in 4 hours and let you know how it went.

ShotgunEd  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2008, 08:20 AM

Wow.

That was intense, but fun.

It was supposed be 30 mins but we ended up using the 30 mins on the first part of the interview, the tell me about you and the Macintosh sorta thing. That and career so far, how I'd deal with difficult customers etc.

After that there was a technical quiz, it was tough but I did well. It covered Leopard, the iPhone, hardware troubleshooting a Mac Pro and MacBook etc.

Anyways, I'm through to the next stage. I'll keep you all up to date with my progress.

Thanks again for your help.

ShotgunEd  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2008, 08:23 AM

Oh, and they said they'd be competitive with my current salary.

alligator
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2008, 08:25 AM

Give us an example of a techical question you were asked. I'm curious how difficult they are.

ShotgunEd  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2008, 09:13 AM

In no particular order;

1. What do the following acronyms mean?
CPU, GPU, VPN, DNS.

2. You are faced with a Mac Pro that when powered on, the led comes on and the fans spin, but there is no start-up chime. Sort the following troubleshooting steps into the correct order;

Reseat graphics card
Replace Processor(s)
Replace graphics card
Replace Logic Board
Reset Systems Management Controller

3. You are faced with a MacBook that hangs at boot, which one of the following would you perform.
Archive and Install
Boot off the CD and run disk utility
Use font book to check for corrupted fonts
Boot into Safe Mode
Zap the PRAM

4. An iPhone user asks you how he should best extend the battery life of his iPhone. Which three of the following should you recommend;
Turn off WiFi
Turn off the ringer
Set the brightness to auto-adjust
Turn on Battery Saver
Reduce the delay before auto-lock

5. What key combo do you press at startup to boot into Single User Mode?

And many more I can't remember word for word.

philm
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2008, 11:33 AM

I believe that 'repair permissions' is the answer to all of those questions.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Apr 11, 2008, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by philm View Post
I believe that 'repair permissions' is the answer to all of those questions.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 11, 2008, 12:18 PM

Now for the section two of the interview:

Did you (or would you) post any information regarding the interview process for the Apple Genius position?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

ShotgunEd  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2008, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Now for the section two of the interview:

Did you (or would you) post any information regarding the interview process for the Apple Genius position?
I don't understand your question.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2008, 12:41 PM

In no particular order;

1. What do the following acronyms mean?
CPU, GPU, VPN, DNS.

2. You are faced with a Mac Pro that when powered on, the led comes on and the fans spin, but there is no start-up chime. Sort the following troubleshooting steps into the correct order;

Reseat graphics card
Replace Processor(s)
Replace graphics card
Replace Logic Board
Reset Systems Management Controller

3. You are faced with a MacBook that hangs at boot, which one of the following would you perform.
Archive and Install
Boot off the CD and run disk utility
Use font book to check for corrupted fonts
Boot into Safe Mode
Zap the PRAM

4. An iPhone user asks you how he should best extend the battery life of his iPhone. Which three of the following should you recommend;
Turn off WiFi
Turn off the ringer
Set the brightness to auto-adjust
Turn on Battery Saver
Reduce the delay before auto-lock

5. What key combo do you press at startup to boot into Single User Mode?

And many more I can't remember word for word.
Eh, most of those are pretty basic actually...

3 is not a fair question. What exactly is "hang at boot"? Are we talking the Apple Logo shows up, or does it remain at a gray screen? Does the spinner spin? Can you boot to verbose/single user mode?

Each of those questions could lead to different answers
(Gray screen with no Apple logo means no kernal load, which indicates that the Mac cannot read off the hard drive (In which case, I'd start with least destructive and zap PRAM so it has to search the computer for all connected hardware again, then I'd pop the CD in and run disk utility to see if the drive really is broken.) If it starts up and gets to the Apple logo but not the spinner, once again, check the disk (Don't want to try and install an OS on a disk that's crapping out), then move onto archive and install (Because it can find the boot file, but the kernal may still not be loading (Check to make sure kernal is still good, but could be a bad kext.) If the spinner is going, I'd probably start with a safe boot and see if it's that retarded QuickTime install gone bonkers and see if that'll do it, for starters.

Poorly worded question :-P

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2008, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
surely hold the shift key down to turn extensions off.

alligator
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2008, 09:56 PM

Actually, I consider myself an advanced Windows user, and a semi-decent Mac user, and a few of these questions had me wondering which would be the best first step.

Good luck, if you can answer these, you know more than some of us!

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2008, 10:12 PM

congrats on getting to the next level. so tell us, were you naked?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 11, 2008, 11:52 PM

As regards the salary thing, I could get paid 2.5x as much money as the Apple Genius job with another 2 years Wintel Server experience, but I refer you to the above, it wouldn't be fun.
With the extra 1.5X money, I could think of a few fun things to do...

ShotgunEd  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2008, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by King Bob On The Cob View Post
Eh, most of those are pretty basic actually...

3 is not a fair question. What exactly is "hang at boot"? Are we talking the Apple Logo shows up, or does it remain at a gray screen? Does the spinner spin? Can you boot to verbose/single user mode?

Each of those questions could lead to different answers
(Gray screen with no Apple logo means no kernal load, which indicates that the Mac cannot read off the hard drive (In which case, I'd start with least destructive and zap PRAM so it has to search the computer for all connected hardware again, then I'd pop the CD in and run disk utility to see if the drive really is broken.) If it starts up and gets to the Apple logo but not the spinner, once again, check the disk (Don't want to try and install an OS on a disk that's crapping out), then move onto archive and install (Because it can find the boot file, but the kernal may still not be loading (Check to make sure kernal is still good, but could be a bad kext.) If the spinner is going, I'd probably start with a safe boot and see if it's that retarded QuickTime install gone bonkers and see if that'll do it, for starters.

Poorly worded question :-P
That was my mistake for not being clear. Hung at Apple logo post boot chime.

I'm not sure they are all straightforward, I got them all right but don't know anyone else (in real life) that would.

The interviewer said I was the only person to get question 4 correct. She'd said that everyone else had included "Turn on Battery Saver" as part of the answer.

ShotgunEd  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2008, 03:30 AM

Oh, and no I wasn't naked. I had to take her call at work, so I was wandering about my office while talking to her.

Apart from the technical quiz, where I made notes (after the interviewer advised I should).

Had I been at home, I probably wouldn't have been naked as I'd have wanted to wander around. My neighbours would have got an eyeful.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2008, 10:18 AM

You should ask for Lead Genius position if it is a new store. Show those bitches who's boss.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2008, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Agasthya View Post
You should ask for Lead Genius position if it is a new store. Show those bitches who's boss.
Unfortunately, most stores start with 4 geniuses and don't acquire a 5th for quite some time, so they won't have an opening for a lead for at least 6-12 months.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 13, 2008, 07:05 PM

I don't understand your question.
Apple's a real stickler for keeping their employees quiet. When you apply for a job, there's often the question, "Have you thought about stealing?" followed in brackets about how you should answer honestly and that your answer won't keep you from getting hired. If you answer honestly, they don't hire you.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

ShotgunEd  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2008, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Apple's a real stickler for keeping their employees quiet. When you apply for a job, there's often the question, "Have you thought about stealing?" followed in brackets about how you should answer honestly and that your answer won't keep you from getting hired. If you answer honestly, they don't hire you.
In that case, I'd never dream about creating a topic on MacNN or any other forum about the interview process.

ShotgunEd  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2008, 09:33 AM

Oh, since this got mentioned in another topic I thought I'd update you all...I was away on holiday when I heard so had no facility to post then...and since I got back I forgot to update the post.

I got the job, they offered me marginally more than my current job (and my current job includes an on call bonus) and the perks sound absolutely awesome. It's the dream job so I jumped at the chance.

I start on the 13th of July, with a week of self study, then off to the Regent Street store for a week of training then 2 weeks at another store learning the day to day.

I cannae wait.

macdude
Jun 26, 2008, 10:16 AM

Congrats! Sounds like it'll be fun.

Nivag
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2008, 10:27 AM

Oh, since this got mentioned in another topic I thought I'd update you all...I was away on holiday when I heard so had no facility to post then...and since I got back I forgot to update the post.

I got the job, they offered me marginally more than my current job (and my current job includes an on call bonus) and the perks sound absolutely awesome. It's the dream job so I jumped at the chance.

I start on the 13th of July, with a week of self study, then off to the Regent Street store for a week of training then 2 weeks at another store learning the day to day.

I cannae wait.
I'm so coming in and asking to speak to ShotgunEd

Nice one for getting the job!

Forum Links
Forum Rules