Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Wich case would you choose for the TiBook?

Wich case would you choose for the TiBook?
zorg128
Forum Regular
Feb 17, 2001, 08:33 AM

Help me, I've still no clear idea what case I schould choose for my TiBook when it arrives (if it arrives, one day!).

Lehonard Heyden "Function Rucksack with Laptop (3360)" seems to be pretty cool...

Here is the link (if ebags database still works): http://www.ebag s.com/products/index.cfm?ModelID=4770&bb_id=b305|s25&CategoryID=0 &sub_site_ID=25&brandid=305&searchtype=searching&t hispage=1&ProductPageLink=Bag

Send your best deals, or better, your picture with the TiBook in your bag.

Thx

[This message has been edited by zorg128 (edited 03-04-2001).]

Rupert
Feb 18, 2001, 03:46 AM

I got a Swiss Army Webpak. They also have one that's made of leather, but much more expensive. I love it... the only problem is I am still waiting for my Ti Powerbook to arrive!
http://www.swissarmy.com/acb/showdet...rtNumber=36031

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 18, 2001, 11:24 AM

I selected a Tumi softsided case for the looks & style.
http://www.Titleii.com/Cube/6.jpg http://www.Titleii.com/Cube/7.jpg

As an aside, I use ACDSee on the windows platform and love it -- it allows me to quickly resize and compress files. ACDSee on the Mac doesn't offer this functionality. Can anyone suggest a small utility that provides basic image resizing and conversions?

thx - danbrew

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2001, 11:31 AM

Originally posted by zorg128:
Help me, I've still no clear idea what case I schould choose for my TiBook when it arrives (if it arrives, one day!).
Send your best deals, or better, your picture with the TiBook in your bag.
Thx
Hi,
You should check out this thread... some good ideas posted here...
dave http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/Foru...ML/001526.html

richardjanus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2001, 04:19 PM

While I'm considering several of the carrying cases listed here on the forum for my to-be-bought TiBook, I stumbled across this one a few seconds ago:
http://www.laptopproducts.com/lap_case/flightable.asp

Never seen it before ... could be useful for this guy who is notorious for arriving at airports way ahead of departure and scheduling extra generous time for connecting flights. And that *almost* looks like a TiBook sitting on it, making it even easier for me to envision using it. Anyone out there have any experience with this one or something similar?

heydt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2001, 04:45 PM

danbrew, can you please post a LARGER image?

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 18, 2001, 05:39 PM

Sure, be glad to. See this like: www.titleii.com/Cube/VERYLARGE/6.jpg

ha ha -- hey, i'm serious, i need some help finding an ACDSee like utility for the Mac. I used that tool exclusively on the Wintel platform to scale my pics, ACDSee for the Mac doesn't do this.... ahhhhggggrrrr!

Michae1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2001, 06:35 PM

Originally posted by danbrew:
Sure, be glad to. See this like: www.titleii.com/Cube/VERYLARGE/6.jpg

ha ha -- hey, i'm serious, i need some help finding an ACDSee like utility for the Mac. I used that tool exclusively on the Wintel platform to scale my pics, ACDSee for the Mac doesn't do this.... ahhhhggggrrrr!
dunno what ACDSee is like but,
graphic converter�the ultimate image utility, check version tracker for the download url

Mike

rambo47
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2001, 06:46 PM

If you really want to be different and don't mind ponying up $220, take a gander at the BOBLBEE. I had one but gave it to my sister on a trip to The States from her home in South Africa. I'm getting another as soon as I find another store in NYC. If you can't stand the design then none of the Boblbee's virtues will sway you. Super strong protection and completely weather proof.

------------------
"There is no spoon."
iDisk: rseijas
Homepage: homepage.mac.com/rseijas

zorg128  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2001, 12:53 PM

Thx a lot, Rambo47. But are you sure the Ti fits in your bag?

Framistat
Feb 19, 2001, 01:09 PM

Originally posted by rambo47:
If you really want to be different and don't mind ponying up $220, take a gander at the BOBLBEE. I had one but gave it to my sister on a trip to The States from her home in South Africa. I'm getting another as soon as I find another store in NYC.
You do realize that they have an online store on their website? Shipping is only $10, so it's actually less than NYC sales tax.

Kyosho88
Feb 19, 2001, 01:52 PM

I have the Boblbee Megalopolis Chrome which cost $295.00, but this is the best bag available. The only other bag I would consider is the SpireUSA Meta which cost $150.00

gr8tfly
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2001, 02:18 AM

I looked at the computer compartment dimensions and only came up with a few that would fit, plus I wanted to go with a "top loader". I decided upon the LowePro Madison 1400. (http://www.lowepro.com/pages/bySeries/madison.htm#) The computer compartment is: 13.5 x 2 x 10. It was $77 through CameraClub.

I wish I could give a first hand review of it, but I won't have the case until tomorrow - and the TiBook 'til "who knows when".

zorg128  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2001, 03:24 PM

Other suggestions?

m2
Feb 20, 2001, 03:45 PM

Check out www.sfbags.com .....
They have been mentioned several times before in these forums, and they have great products...

They currently have a really good deal,
$189 for the G4 sleeve, medium Cargo bag, and a Medium Gear Pouch.

I cant seem to find this on their site anymore, but gary from sfbags is a really nice guy, and he might still give it to you if you ask him.

m2

Aykew
Feb 20, 2001, 08:01 PM

Just FYI, I've got a Boblbee People's Delite, and the PBG4 (or at least a carboard mock up I made; My Ti is in Alaska at the moment) fits fine, except it sticks up about half an inch above the plastic rim. The bag closes over it just fine and I'm not too concerned about it at all. I'll have to remove the velcro security straps though.

My wife has a Megalopolis and her iBook (which is pretty darn huge in comparison to the svelt Powerbook) fits very snugly.

GK
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 20, 2001, 08:07 PM

Just received my Ti Sleeve bag from Waterfield design, it's
AWESOME, it fits your Ti like a glove and protects it from scratches if you
put it with books and other stuff in a bag. I can highly recommend it.

Check it out at www.sfbags.com

Bob L. Bee
Feb 20, 2001, 10:08 PM

Originally posted by m2:
Check out sfbags.
They have been mentioned several times before in these forums, and they have great products...

They currently have a really good deal,
$189 for the G4 sleeve, medium Cargo bag, and a Medium Gear Pouch.
Not to start a flame war, but I honestly can't understand how $189 for soft bags can be considered a bargain. For a few dollars more, you could get a Boblbee. Aside from the hard shell, a backpack is far superior for long trips. I've comfortably walked for hours with a G3 in a Boblbee on my back. With my old courier bag, it got tiring after a half hour with the load on only one shoulder. On top of that, even inside a padded sleeve, the G3 kept bouncing around against my back because it wasn't anchored to the bag. It wasn't fun having to go through several closures to get to the G3 either.

gr8tfly
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2001, 01:57 AM

Just received my LowePro Madison 1400. Excellent design. The computer insert can be removed and used by itself (it has two outside pockets for Zip/Floppy/HardDrive/CDRW). When the computer insert is out, you can collapse the bag to a smaller briefcase size. Anyway, with everything together, it should work great! Lots and lots of pockets and room for media, papers, cell phones and the like. Much nicer than the Targus I've been using for my Wallstreet. Also - it's top loading.

gr8tfly
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2001, 02:00 AM

Even though the LowePro has the separate computer section, I'm thinking it might be nice to get the WaterField Sleeve case when I just want the TiBook by itself.

gr8tfly
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2001, 02:08 AM

I'm still thinking of getting the WaterField sleeve case for when I want just the TiBook by itself (even though the LowePro's computer insert bag is removable, it's not quite as minimal as the sleeve case).

matt dwyer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2001, 02:55 AM

Well, just to put in my .02 ...

I just got the Zoom XL from Spire (http://www.spireusa.com) and I love it!

I had one of the old zoom backpacks and wanted to upgrade for my new Ti (plus I just needed more room =) ... got the new XL today, slipped the Powerbook into the bag and bammo! Perfect fit! Which surprised me a bit as the size chart on the website indicated that the fit was less than perfect. They must have high standards, 'cause this puppy fits the Ti like a glove.

Loads of room ,well-padded, and doesn't scream "Laptop inside. Steal me" ... also has a nice strong handle and shoulder strap (in a ddition to the backpack straps, of course =)

I recommend this to anybody!

I've also use Waterfield's products and they are very good and VERY service oriented ...

And although the Boblbee is great because of it's hard case, i had to skip it as I would feel like an idiot carrying that ugly thing around (MHO, of course =)

FWIW,

***matt

[This message has been edited by matt dwyer (edited 02-21-2001).]

mercuryman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2001, 04:58 AM

I'd suggest the TomBihn Brain bag with the G4 insert (no I don't work for 'em!!). awesome for both several books and a G4 and made well. bit pricey for my budget ($130) but couldn't find anything else that would work for me (grad student -- i.e. needs many books and computer at all times!!) www.tombihn.com

jfdonahue
Feb 21, 2001, 11:04 AM

Mercuryman,

You mention a G4 insert for the Brain Bag. Is this something TomBihn makes or are you referring to a sleeve like Waterfield Design's. Also, how comfortable is the Brain Bag fully loaded. I know Spire places a lot of their sales emphasis on the comfort of their bags. Thanks.

mercuryman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2001, 01:47 AM

jfdonahue --
excuse the delay...
Tom Bohn has a custom insert for the G4 (called the G4 lapdog) due out soon that actually snaps into the inside of the brain bag backpack. It is something like $45 on top of the $130 for the bag. it was apparently custome designed specifically for the G4 powerbook. here's the link: http://www.tombihn.com/Merchant2/mer...tegory_Code=G4
-mercuryman

BlaKaT
Feb 22, 2001, 11:22 AM

The Bags that i've seen that best hold the Ti Book (we tested it) is some of the bags from crumpler, an Aussie company that originaly made bags for bike couriers in Melbourne. They now have a full range of realy comfortable bags www.crumpler.com.au

DocGold
Feb 22, 2001, 12:50 PM

Got the cargo bag and sleeve from Waterfield (www.sfbags.com),although somewhat pricey, the bag looks good and is quality... now just waiting for the Ti book....

Mattdaddy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2001, 04:01 PM

I bought the Cyberbreak by JanSport, from ebags.com. It looks like a normal backpack and has a padded laptop compartment that will fit the Mercury. It was also 40% off and cost about $35.00. What more could you ask for.

------------------
Do it like you mean it.
Do it like you mean it.

Bob L. Bee
Feb 23, 2001, 11:23 PM

If anybody is interested in the Boblbee, it just had a price drop at the Boblbee online store. Many of the Megalopolis colors are now $199, down from $225. The People's Delite is also down $20 to $179.

And, no, I don't work for Boblbee.

m2
Feb 23, 2001, 11:40 PM

Another vote for the WaterField Cargo bag....
I have the medium cargo bag (lead colored) and let me tell you..it is worth every penny..

VERY NICE

And gary from Waterfield is a great guy.

Just my .02

M2

TiG4
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2001, 07:32 AM

Hi all,

Take a look at this: http://www.willowdesign.com/NL-11.html

------------------
Gilbert
- It's not madam that they want, it's her car -
Gil
- It's not a sin to dance at a wedding -

Powerbook G4 Case
Feb 25, 2001, 08:22 AM

The willow design case looks awesome, but at 5.5 inches thick and 3.1 pounds, doesn't anyone think its little heavy and big for a 1-inch laptop? I am current looking for a powerbook g4 bag but I don't know what to get... I want something strong, light, and can carry a few other things. Madson Online's Powerbook G3 case would be awesome if it fit he Powerbook g4... any ideas?

dood.
Feb 25, 2001, 11:56 AM

Originally posted by Bob L. Bee:
Not to start a flame war, but I honestly can't understand how $189 for soft bags can be considered a bargain. For a few dollars more, you could get a Boblbee. Aside from the hard shell, a backpack is far superior for long trips. I've comfortably walked for hours with a G3 in a Boblbee on my back. With my old courier bag, it got tiring after a half hour with the load on only one shoulder. On top of that, even inside a padded sleeve, the G3 kept bouncing around against my back because it wasn't anchored to the bag. It wasn't fun having to go through several closures to get to the G3 either.
Well, I don't know about others, but the Boblbee is the ug-ug-ugliest thing I've ever seen in my life. I would not be caught DEAD wearing that atrocity.

I paid $130ish for my ZoomXL and I use the for my pbg3 and armada m700 and I'm glad that the tig4 will fit in it. It was *worth* the money I paid for it and is versatile as a regular bag as well. It's nondescript and doesn't call attention to itself. It's been dropped and thrown several times with the Compaq in it with no ill effects so far.

richardjanus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2001, 12:56 PM

Well it's looking more and more like I'll be buying a Zero Halliburton DZ5 ... got my hands on one in a retail store (more like a $urgically remove the $$$ from your wallet $hop) and I was WAY impressed with the quality and the looks.

Now it's off to ebags etc. to find the best price.

This case is REALLY going to look great with my TiBook inside and my Apple aluminum luggage tag outside!!! Yes, it will scream "steal me!" but I need to assume some of the risk since I can't imagine a more stylish or more protective combination for my TiBook.

heydt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2001, 01:30 PM

I purchased the BRIGHT RED Zoom XL last Fall for a LIME GREEN iBook.

And just got the PUMPKIN Boblebe�e for the arriving TITANIUM PBTi.

I believe any of the above could be considered a bit outrageous.

Fashion is a funny animal. One person's style is another's "ug-ug-ugly." For example, any stylish bag can become quite a stomach turner whenever it regurgitates a Compaq.

Bob L. Bee
Feb 25, 2001, 02:20 PM

Originally posted by dood.:
Well, I don't know about others, but the Boblbee is the ug-ug-ugliest thing I've ever seen in my life. I would not be caught DEAD wearing that atrocity.

I paid $130ish for my ZoomXL and I use the for my pbg3 and armada m700 and I'm glad that the tig4 will fit in it. It was *worth* the money I paid for it and is versatile as a regular bag as well. It's nondescript and doesn't call attention to itself. It's been dropped and thrown several times with the Compaq in it with no ill effects so far.
Any bag with a Compaq in it should be thrown or dropped several times. Seriously, it's all in the eye of the beholder. I personally find rounded blobs like the ZoomXL to be so 1980s, sort of like an old Ford Taurus. If you don't like a Boblbee, that's fine. Just don't try to dictate the tastes of others. Fact is, it's won several design awards and garnered more than a few rave reviews.

rchang
Feb 25, 2001, 04:17 PM

When my TiBook arrives, hopefully tomorrow, I will stick it in my beat up black Jansport backpack which has a padded compartment for a laptop. I've used it since my 540c. It looks almost exactly like my other Jansport back pack that doesn't have a laptop compartment. I like it because it doesn't scream "Steal me! I have a laptop inside!"

spockie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2001, 07:52 PM

Hi,

I followed this interesting thread and checked out the ZoomXL by SpireUSA on the web. It looks quite promising. However, I wasn't able to find a picture which shows the interior of this backbag. Can anyone point me to some URLs with actual pictures of the compartments and interior design of this bag, or even post a picture of it?

Thanks in advance!

[This message has been edited by spockie (edited 02-26-2001).]

e. e. eeeeeeek
Feb 26, 2001, 06:42 PM

I just got a G4 sleeve from sfbags.com. It's a little bigger and heavier than I expected, but:

--yes, TiBook goes in and out very easily, thanks to appropriately low-friction material on inside, and grab-loop on bottom

--thicker means more protection

--the extra space on the side (maybe 1/2 inch total?) means my Kensington lock knob fits in too; very helpful, as my desk is not a safe enviromment for the machine, in terms of either theft (students going in and out all the time) or physical security (bump! scratch!)

--it fits beautifully inside my Large Brief Bag from Courierware:
www.courierwareusa.com

Fills from side to side and is held steady, with lots of room left over in thickness for all that other stuff I have to carry.

Yes, this is a one-shoulder solution.

But the Courierware bag is the easiest-accessing bag I've ever used; no zippers to scratch, beautifully placed interior pockets for power supply, cords, mouse, lightweight but strong, and NOT ONE OF THOSE HORRIBLE NERD BAGS THAT YOU SEE AT THE AIRPORT i'm sorry i'll try to calm down but boy are some of those puffy-multi-layer-multi-piped-multi-color-or-all-black-but-really-ugly-nylon-bags nasty.

P.S. Courierware does their own elegant laptop inserts (neoprene envelopes); when I called, they said it'd probably be 3 months or so until they do one sized for the G4, alas.

fobside
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2001, 07:27 PM

does anyone know if the Ti's fit in the Kensington Saddlebag. the dimensions say it wont fit but im guessing you can squeeze it in. anyone know?

------------------
I used to use a PC.

jfdonahue
Feb 26, 2001, 07:44 PM

Fobside,

I don't have a TiBook yet, but I do have the Kensington Saddlebag and the Waterfield Designs G4 Sleeve. The Sleeve is made to the dimensions of the TiBook and the Sleeve fits in the Saddlebag perfectly, albeit with my iBook in it. I would have to assume that the TiBook will also fit well. There will probably be some front to back movement given the thiness of the TiBook compared to the iBook. The only problem with the Saddlebag is there are no internal pockets in either of the two main compartments. I have a VST hard drive and my iBook power supply in the second main compartment. It makes me nervous that there is nothing to keep these things from banging together. Other than that, the Saddle bag is nice.

fobside
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2001, 11:09 PM

really? cuz the measurements were like an inch off according to apple's site and kensington's site. so the sleeve fits into the compartment with no problems? the sleeve isnt squished when its in the compartment is it?

------------------
I used to use a PC.

jfdonahue
Feb 27, 2001, 10:02 AM

Fobside,

It does not appear to be squished. My iBook does stick out of the main compartment by about 1/8". But you can adjust the tension on the fold over flap so nothing gets squished. According to Apple, the dimensions of the iBook are Width: 13.5 inches (34.4 cm) and Height: 11.6 inches (29.4 cm). The TiBook dimensions are Width: 13.4 inches (34.1 cm) and Depth: 9.5 inches (24.1 cm). So the iBook is slightly bigger. I would recommend some kind of sleeve because the Powerbook might be slightly while in the main compartment, but I don't think this exposure will cause any kind of squishing problem. But of course, I can't be 100% certain until I get my TiBook.

Kyosho88
Feb 27, 2001, 10:25 AM

I have a Boblbee Megalopolis Millenium for my TIPB and this bag is very comfortable and protect you PB like no other bag. I would recommend this bag to everyone.

zorg128  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2001, 11:01 AM

Take � look at http://www.freitag.ch/

These bags are original... not neardy like the other ones.

[This message has been edited by zorg128 (edited 02-27-2001).]

[This message has been edited by zorg128 (edited 02-27-2001).]

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2001, 11:13 AM

Or After Spending 2500 or 3500 for yoru PB Ti You may want to get a Pelican Case. Got one for myPismo, Great case.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

pooch
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2001, 11:25 AM

Check out:
http://www.ebags.com/products/index....ink=SeeDetails

They got a new color (3X3 Silver) that would look so awsome with a new Ti in it!! By Far the coolest bag I've seen so far that will fit the new Powerbook.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2001, 12:27 PM

I bought the Targus Model #CCB1 backpack. The Ti fits perfectly in one of the slots inside. Plus plenty of room for cd's, batteries, power adapter, etc. A really nice fit and very practical too.

xpl0re
Feb 27, 2001, 03:51 PM

I have tried the Titanium in the Kensington SaddleBag and it defintly fits, but is not snug. The computer fit vertically, and had alot of extra room (about 1.5") thickness wise and about an inch left-to-right....so there is alot of extra room, but it does FIT....

I am looking into purchasing (or making) a small stryofoam pad to put in there with the PBG4 so it doesn't slide around....Anyone have any better ideas for the extra padding? I really like the SaddleBag case, but I haven't bought it yet because of the extra room.

fobside
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2001, 03:57 PM

does it stick out of the pocket vertically at all? please let me know. im this | | close to buying the saddle bag.

------------------
I used to use a PC.

Forum Links
Forum Rules