Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > TiBook, Airport, File sharing problem

TiBook, Airport, File sharing problem
jfdonahue
Mar 18, 2001, 12:17 PM

Just go my TiBook and everything is great except for file sharing via airport. I have my G4 set up as an airport base station, and an airport card in the TiBook. Accessing the internet from the TiBook via Airport is no problem. But when I try to access my Hard drive on my G4 via Apple Share in the Chooser, the TiBook slows down big time and then eventually locks up. I have to force quit the chooser. I have File Sharing enabled on the G4. I have things set up the same way they were set with my iBook which could share files no problem. I have also tried two different airport cards and both Airport 1.3 and 1.2. Any ideas?

Bugs Bunny
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 18, 2001, 02:53 PM

You should File Share via TCP/IP, not AppleTalk.

------------------

Steve Sell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2001, 03:04 PM

AFAIK, you can't use AppleTalk over a software base station -- it only supports TCP/IP. No problem, though, just enable FileSharing via TCP/IP on your G4 desktop and then connect to it that way.

-Steve

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 18, 2001, 03:19 PM

This is a known problem with the Airport base station software. Despite what people will tell you... it's a known problem. I wish I had the Apple reference to this (not sure they've ackowledged the problem...), but it has been discussed on many Mac boards.

I posted a question here and on the Networking MacNN board several weeks ago and got all sorts of answers from people who were essentially guessing at how to solve the problem... no disrespect intended, but if you don't know the problem, you really can't offer a solution... I had several people on the MacNN boards tell me to enable "file sharing over tcp/ip", well that's not it.

Here's my situation -- I'm sure you'll find it close to yours.

I have several Windows machines, a Windows 2000 AS machine with Services for the Mac running, and two Macs. When everything is hardwired to my LAN, the Macs (Cube & Ti) can easily see each other and the Mac volumes on the 2000 AS box. Both Macs can see the postscript printers on the network and everything is just great.

I've attached an Airport Base Station to the 100mb switch and simply enabled it as a bridge -- no DHCP, no NAT, essentially just another port on my switch. I could have enabled DHCP and NAT, but the router for my DSL was already doing that and I wanted to keep things simply -- hence the bridge only aspect of the ABS.

Using an 802.11 card in a Windows laptop, a PocketPC, and the TiPB, I could easily obtain an IP and browse the internet and the network printers. The challenge occurs when I use the TiPB to actually connect to the Cube -- it literally takes 10-15 minutes to simply map to the drive and display the contents of the drive in a Window on my Ti. BTW, the TiPB is about 10 feet away from the ABS (long story, but it's an intentional design aspect on my part... there is no doubt the card and ABS ar operating at 11mb -- due to the prox. and tests run on the card). So it takes forever to display the contents of the drive -- regardless of whether I select the machine via IP or via the machinename in the chooser. It took me approximately 5 minutes to copy 150k worth of files.

When I'm hardwired to my 100mb switch, the cxn and copying takes no time at all.

I'm a bit of a windows networking guy (but still a novice), so didn't think I was all wet here in topology or other cxn issues. I posted and posted this problem and got no real responses... until I posted up on the MacWorld boards -- this thread is discussed there in detail.

I can't tell you the specifics of the problem -- other than it is NOT you, it is not the machines, it's the ABS.

You'd think the problem would inhibit any type of traffic through the bridge to the internet for the rest of your IP related stuff, but it's very specific to file copying.

So... beats me what's wrong, but it blows.

I spend most of my time here, so would appreciate you posting here if you get more info on this -- or drop me an email -- [email protected].

fwiw, danbrew

fmalloy
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2001, 06:15 PM

Originally posted by Bugs Bunny:
You should File Share via TCP/IP, not AppleTalk.
Bugs, can you answer this? If you are supposed to file share using TCP/IP, how come you can't turn file sharing on unless AppleTalk is turned on, even if you have the box checked that says "enable file sharing via TCP/IP"? I have an AirPort Base Station connected to a Beige G3. I've always wondered this...I'd like to turn off AppleTalk for good...

Bugs Bunny
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 18, 2001, 08:03 PM

Bugs, can you answer this? If you are supposed to file share using TCP/IP, how come you can't turn file sharing on unless AppleTalk is turned on, even if you have the box checked that says "enable file sharing via TCP/IP"? I have an AirPort Base Station connected to a Beige G3. I've always wondered this...I'd like to turn off AppleTalk for good...
AppleTalk and TCP/IP are completely seperate Networking Protocols. When you are sharing files via AppleTalk you are using AFP over AppleTalk (Apple Filing Protocol). When you share files of TCP/IP you are using AFP over TCP. The reason that AppleTalk must be enabled to share files via TCP is for browsing only. When you open the Chooser, and select AppleShare, what appears in the right is found with AppleTalk Broadcasts. After the list is propagated, it then uses TCP/IP. If you know the IP address of the server you want to use, you can just enter in the IP address.

Also:

Because of a quirk in the server software, AppleTalk needs to be turned on on the server. Clients, however, do not need AppleTalk and can connect via TCP/IP alone. You need to know the server's IP address. Double-clicking a server in the Chooser always connects to it using AppleTalk. To connect via TCP/IP, you can totally ignore the AppleTalk setting -- it can be on, off, set to another network interface (e.g. the LocalTalk port for AppleTalk and Airport for TCP/IP).

------------------

jfdonahue  (op)
Mar 18, 2001, 09:40 PM

bugs,
Right you are. I disabled AppleTalk on the TiBook and entered my G4's IP address and everything is working great. I appreciate the help. By the way, how is the wax holding up on your TiBook case? You said it was Liquid Glass, right?

Forum Links
Forum Rules