Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > semi on topic - importing messages into "Mail"

semi on topic - importing messages into "Mail"
kent m
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 28, 2001, 10:09 PM

how to?

any advice? "Mail" in osX only seems to want to import from "Outlook Express" (in the Microsoft realm) and... well... any advice?

thanks,
Kent M

[ 07-28-2001: Message edited by: kent m ]

kent m is not a member of any public groups

[email protected]
Senior User
Jul 29, 2001, 05:05 PM

???

what program are you trying to import from?

mail uses standard mailbox format, just like eudora, netcape, etc.

i drug my eudora mailboxes into a subfolder in my mail folder and that worked well.

jfdonahue
Jul 29, 2001, 08:14 PM

Go to Apple's OS X software download area and download Mal Import scripts. It will import your mail.

kent m  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 4, 2001, 02:21 PM

Hi ho.

Dragging didn't seem to work for me. I think I was trying to drag from the desktop though. You know, drag the mail folders onto the desktop, drag the folder into mail.

Importing from Entourage.

thx,
Kent

-

Originally posted by [email protected]:
<STRONG>???

what program are you trying to import from?

i drug my eudora mailboxes into a subfolder in my mail folder and that worked well.</STRONG>

kent m  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 4, 2001, 02:23 PM

thanks, I'll check it out.

regards,
Kent M

-

Originally posted by jfdonahue:
<STRONG>Go to Apple's OS X software download area and download Mal Import scripts. It will import your mail.</STRONG>

kent m  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 4, 2001, 09:40 PM

The import script did the trick... generally. There was an error during the import and many of my sub-folders were placed loose in the 'import folder'.

Which leads to my next question: Why is it so difficult to organize folders in 'Mail'? It really seems to be a bitch to put folders inside of other folders, etc...

Thanks for the advice on the import scripts, though. :-)

~Kent

-

Originally posted by jfdonahue:
<STRONG>Go to Apple's OS X software download area and download Mal Import scripts. It will import your mail.</STRONG>

kennedy
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2001, 03:24 PM

Originally posted by [email protected]:
<STRONG>???

i drug my eudora mailboxes into a subfolder in my mail folder and that worked well.</STRONG>
This is oversimplified, in general.

Eudora sorta uses the std format... it relocates all the attachments out of the mailboxes into a separate folder. Netscape sorta uses a std format, adding in some important header info into "dead space" in the std format.

Anyway, I've never fully succeeded in importing my reams of Eudora email into Apple Mail. The Mail Import scripts seem to entirely ignore the Attachments directory. And dragging results in files that are not recognized by Mail.

If anyone has gotten their Eudora mail over with attachments intact, I'd love to hear how. If anyone had to work harder than "just drag it", but got it to work, I'd love to hear how.

Thanks!
Mac Nut since before color Macs, working for UT Austin Microcenter supporting Mac users

JeffZPgh
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 13, 2001, 12:28 AM

I'd love to hear of a way to import from Microsoft Outlook for Windows, if anybody's done it. All the mail I saved for years on my PC has been sitting useless on my iMac for months.

Jeff

Forum Links
Forum Rules