Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > resizing itunes window?

resizing itunes window?
GSixZero
Mac Elite
May 13, 2010, 03:35 PM

I've got a powerbook with an external 24" monitor. Sometimes I'll maximize the itunes window on my 24" monitor, and then disconnect everything and go out. Open itunes again and the window is still sized as if it were on my 24" monitor. The bottom right hand corner of the window is well below the edge of the screen. Usually you can click the green button in the menu bar to fix things, but in iTunes that puts the window in small player mode.

Any idea on how to fix this, other than trashing the prefs?

Thanks.
John

ImpulseResponse

reader50
Administrator
May 13, 2010, 03:39 PM

Option-click the green button.

iTunes does not obey the default behavior of the green button. Instead, the default behavior is the optional version.

Helmling
Mac Elite
May 15, 2010, 03:29 PM

Oh, thanks, whenever this would happen to me, I'd have to change my screen resolution to get to the bottom right corner.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2010, 05:50 PM

Also, don't be afraid to use the menus. Window > Zoom. It even has a keyboard shortcut.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 16, 2010, 05:02 AM

It is unfortunate that Apple broke their own convention for the behavior of the Zoom button in iTunes.

They actually had it FIXED for 9.0, but the screaming from users convinced them to break it again on the first or second point-update.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
May 16, 2010, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
They actually had it FIXED for 9.0, but the screaming from users convinced them to break it again on the first or second point-update.
I think you and I were the only two people who thought the "fix" was a good thing.

reader50
Administrator
May 16, 2010, 05:06 PM

I just located iTunes 9.0 in order to get the fix. Had to edit my library files for 9.0 to accept the library.

Excellent tip, I'll stick with 9.0. Make that three people.

Edit: the fix doesn't completely restore normal interface behavior. It works as expected for the large window. But for the miniplayer, the green button always switches you back to the large window. It should alternate the miniplayer in/out of minimum width.
( Last edited by reader50; May 16, 2010 at 05:18 PM. )

GSixZero  (op)
Mac Elite
May 16, 2010, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Option-click the green button.

iTunes does not obey the default behavior of the green button. Instead, the default behavior is the optional version.
Thanks. Didn't know about option clicking on the window buttons. Thanks.

ImpulseResponse

GSixZero  (op)
Mac Elite
May 16, 2010, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by chabig View Post
Also, don't be afraid to use the menus. Window > Zoom. It even has a keyboard shortcut.
Window > Zoom is the same thing as clicking the green button and does not fix this problem, despite your snark.

ImpulseResponse

Forum Links
Forum Rules