Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PB G4 fan noise

PB G4 fan noise
Matius
Forum Regular
May 6, 2007, 07:52 PM

Okay, did the search and didn't find an answer. I have 12" PB G4 (July 05). When the comp gets warm the fan kicks on as normal, but in the last three months or so it has started making noise when it does. Hard to describe the noise but it sort of resembles an electric toothbrush or hairclippers. The noise isn't obnoxious but it is noticeable and frankly it's annoying. Any ideas or suggestions? Does the thing just need cleaned or is it time to look at a new fan?
“Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
May 6, 2007, 08:18 PM

I replaced one of the fans in my 15" PB G4 a few monts ago because whenever it came on there was an audible "mooing" type of sound it made and I found it annoying. I got the replacement form ifixit.com and all is better now. You might look into that. Since you bought it 2005, do you have Applecare? You might call then up and see if they will replace it.

silenced
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 10, 2007, 08:41 PM

I have the same problem too, when the fan comes on, it sounds as if it is stuck or something like that, but it is actually working. Yeah it kind of sounds like a electric toothbrus or a hariclipper. It goes away after some time, but then it comes back again.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2007, 08:58 PM

Yep - this happened to me - Apple replaced the fans, that fixed it.

silenced
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 10, 2007, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
Yep - this happened to me - Apple replaced the fans, that fixed it.
Did you find out what was the cause of this?

How much did it cost to have Apple fix it?
( Last edited by silenced; May 10, 2007 at 09:25 PM. )

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 10, 2007, 09:27 PM

If they replaced the fans, the fans were probably bad.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2007, 09:37 PM

They just started making funny noises. Apple fixed it under warranty.

silenced
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 10, 2007, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
They just started making funny noises. Apple fixed it under warranty.
Did they tell what was wrong?

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
May 10, 2007, 10:11 PM

The scraping noise that he cited was probably what was wrong. That's generally enough for them to fix it.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2007, 10:35 PM

Yep - they basically just listened to it at the Genius Bar, and the guy said 'yes, that doesn't sound normal, we'll replace the fans'. I came back the next day, they had, the noise was gone. Actually, I think that they gave me an invoice for about 180 USD that it would have cost if it had not been under warranty.

silenced
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2007, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by Matius View Post
Okay, did the search and didn't find an answer. I have 12" PB G4 (July 05). When the comp gets warm the fan kicks on as normal, but in the last three months or so it has started making noise when it does. Hard to describe the noise but it sort of resembles an electric toothbrush or hairclippers. The noise isn't obnoxious but it is noticeable and frankly it's annoying. Any ideas or suggestions? Does the thing just need cleaned or is it time to look at a new fan?
Hey, Matius, did you get to solve the problem yet?

tinkered
Dedicated MacNNer
May 24, 2007, 02:29 AM

I am a big fan of running your computer completely opened up. Granted, don't touch anything. But then you might see what is wrong, or at least learn about how your computer works.
17" MBP C2D 2.33/3 GB RAM/500 GB 7200 rpm/Glossy Display|-|
17" iMac CD|-|15" PB G4 1.25 GHz|-|iBook g4 1Ghz|-|Pismo

Forum Links
Forum Rules