Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What I find amusing about sports including baseball

What I find amusing about sports including baseball (Page 2)
besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2007, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Matius View Post
What did you expect when you insult every sports fan here? You're right though, we are all half-wits who only watch sports because we don't have the sense to change the channel to some more "intellectual" show. So I guess it's back to watching my two favorite sports--NASCAR and baseball.
I thought I made it clear that I'm a Blue Jay fan and I watch games, so why would I criticize sports fans here when I'm one of them?

Matius
Forum Regular
Jun 27, 2007, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I thought I made it clear that I'm a Blue Jay fan and I watch games, so why would I criticize sports fans here when I'm one of them?
After re-reading this thread I still didn't see any posts where you claimed to be a Blue Jays fan or a fan of any sports for that matter. If you are, great. Why would you criticize sports fans here? Hell, I don't know. But your comments are for you to explain/defend, and it appears as though you are of the opinion that sports fans are somehow mentally lacking.
“Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2007, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by Matius View Post
After re-reading this thread I still didn't see any posts where you claimed to be a Blue Jays fan or a fan of any sports for that matter. If you are, great. Why would you criticize sports fans here? Hell, I don't know. But your comments are for you to explain/defend, and it appears as though you are of the opinion that sports fans are somehow mentally lacking.
You're right, I didn't state that I'm a Blue Jay fan, but I should have.

However, regardless, I did not say that sports fans are mentally lacking, just that the sports broadcasts, journalism, and the guarded way in which athletes interview all seem targeted at a pretty minimal intellectual playing field. I'm not sure where you interpreted my attacking sports fans.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2007, 03:42 AM

You want thoughtful commentary on Baseball go read George Will…then after you wake up go watch a game and enjoy it for what it is.

Anyone looking for anything thoughtful to be spoken during a sporting event…well, maybe sports aren't for you.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2007, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
You want thoughtful commentary on Baseball go read George Will…then after you wake up go watch a game and enjoy it for what it is.
Originally Posted by SNL
It's "George F. Will's Sports Machine", the sports trivia show for the real fan. And now, here's your quizmaster, syndicated columnist, George F. Will.

George F. Will: Very well. Let us engage the sports machine. Gentlemen, as always, the questions will focus exclusively on baseball, the only game that transcends the boundary between fury and repose. All right, hands on buzzers. [ he hits several buttons on the machine, which spits out a quiz card that George reads ] "The precarious balance between infield and outfield suggests a perfect symmetry. For $50, identify the effect of that symmetry."

George F. Will: The answer is: "The exhilarating tension between being and becoming." Being and becoming...

irunat2am
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 27, 2007, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I glazed over that because I don't buy it. We'd see more wads in people's mouths if most were chewing tobacco.
Not necessarily. I know a couple guys that chew, and I have no clue when it's in or out by looking. I'm not missing it either, they just hide it well. (They chew at work, and nobody has a clue. Even when they hop over to the garbage can every 2 minutes..haha.)
24" iMac 2.16GHz c2d ~ 3G ram ~ 250G ~ Superdrive ~ Pure Sexiness
15" Powerbook G4 ~ 1.5GHz ~ 1.5G ram ~ 160G ~ Combo

Forum Links
Forum Rules