Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > trouble connecting to network drive

trouble connecting to network drive
Matius
Forum Regular
Nov 29, 2007, 03:25 PM

I am the lone Mac on a Windows network. We use a shared network drive with its own IP address. All the other computers on the network can connect but I am unable to. No computers on the network show up in the Sidebar under Network and neither does the network drive. I have verified everything I can think of and the network guy is strictly Windows so he doesn't have a good answer either. I typed in the IP address of the drive in the "Connect to Server" window and when I pressed enter it locked up my computer to the point that all I could do was hold the power button until it shut off. I had to do this two times. I am no networking guru and need some help. Any ideas?
“Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Nivag
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2007, 03:57 PM

Are you just putting the IP address in or are you prefixing it with afp:// or smb:// ?

Can you ping the IP?

try using smb:// before your IP and see if that helps?

Matius  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 30, 2007, 05:59 PM

I used smb:// in conjunction with the IP. I can type in the IP address into Safari and go right to the drive's user interface so I know that it isn't the connection between here and there. The tech can use my computer go into the drive's settings, make changes, verify settings, everything...That's why this is frustrating. I just can't access the files on it. I'm really at a loss. Time to get smart on the ins and outs of networking I guess.
“Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Nivag
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2007, 06:35 PM

how about putting the share point name after the IP.

smb://000.000.000.000/sharedfoldernamehere - i think this is case sensitive

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 30, 2007, 07:55 PM

I have a similar setup, and I have to put a folder/share point into the smb: line to get my Macs to connect. When I do, they work every time.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Matius  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 1, 2007, 10:13 AM

Appreciate the help. That solved the problem right away. smb://000.000.000.000/sharedname and I was connected. It's always something small isn't it? Thanks again Nivag and ghporter.

Forum Links
Forum Rules